Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to pr1mo

Premium Member

to pr1mo

Re: Path of Exile - Guide and Tips

Hehe, me too. I just leveled up to 32 with my witch. I think I've spent 12ish passive points and have the rest saved. For the reason I feel the game is slowly ramping upwards in difficulty and I'm trying not to pidgeonhold my first character. For example I've noticed mobs are starting to curse me now in the latest area I moved into. Their resistances are changing, more spell casting mobs, etc. So far the character doesn't seem that gimpy by not having spent all my points. I am going slow so that might have something to do with it.

Edit- My original point I was going to make. I still feel lost with the passive skill tree. Still trying to wrap my head around what does what and the possibilities of certain builds.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've spent a few more than you, but I'm level 33 and have 11 pts to assign.

I'm in A3, and I'm feeling the ass whippings more and more. This is likely due to gear first and foremost, but I'm thinking resists are going to need to be taken at some point in the tree.

To help wrap your head around the skill tree, use that skill calc I linked. You search certain keywords to find where they appear in the tree. It will also show the shortest path to get to that spot as well. Kinda helps take the tedious out of it.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom

Premium Member

I've heard the same thing about not skimping on resists.

Believe me, I've been using the skill calc, and I'm still apprehensive to spend my points in game. Here is how I have my points distributed right now minus the elemental equilibrium (EE), which reinforces my point. My thought was to build a frost/fire witch. Using that passive I could weaken mobs with one elemental and slap them with the other, coupled with a curse (using elemental weakness right now) my thought was hardly any resists. In reality, after playing with EE for a while I couldn't stand it. Mobs don't group up nicely to hit them with one elemental spell and then another. So I would be battling some mobs that were fire resistant and others were frost. There went my first respec point.

Anyway, this is my current build:
»www.pathofexile.com/pass ··· HRSYrQ==
And this is where I'm thinking of heading:
»www.pathofexile.com/pass ··· B6VrFw==

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

lol..I found this out today, too! This is kinda bizarre...anyway, yeah, I found the cold curse spell, I forget the name atm, but i had to equip some dex to get it to fire. So, off I go thinking how awesome it will be to debuff and then nail with frost nova....not so much. First, it doesn't debuff THAT much (at least the current level...may be worth leveling it up and trying it later), and secondly...getting everyone to smile for the camera so I can debuff em didn't work all that well, either...so I scrapped that and wen't back to my regular setup, but I'm in the mosolium now, and it's rough....Very Rough. I'm gonna have to upgrade some gear asap and / or spend pts...I don't think I can complete with out it, unless I just get lucky.

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy

Premium Member

said by Koil:

lol..I found this out today, too! This is kinda bizarre...anyway, yeah, I found the cold curse spell, I forget the name atm, but i had to equip some dex to get it to fire. So, off I go thinking how awesome it will be to debuff and then nail with frost nova....not so much. First, it doesn't debuff THAT much (at least the current level...may be worth leveling it up and trying it later), and secondly...getting everyone to smile for the camera so I can debuff em didn't work all that well, either...so I scrapped that and wen't back to my regular setup, but I'm in the mosolium now, and it's rough....Very Rough. I'm gonna have to upgrade some gear asap and / or spend pts...I don't think I can complete with out it, unless I just get lucky.

Frostbite? That curse is great, it has a chance to actually freeze them too. It really shines on the later difficulties where the resist cold mobs are really tough.
Gundy

1 recommendation

Gundy to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've spent a few more than you, but I'm level 33 and have 11 pts to assign.

I'm in A3, and I'm feeling the ass whippings more and more. This is likely due to gear first and foremost, but I'm thinking resists are going to need to be taken at some point in the tree.

To help wrap your head around the skill tree, use that skill calc I linked. You search certain keywords to find where they appear in the tree. It will also show the shortest path to get to that spot as well. Kinda helps take the tedious out of it.

Also, I don't know about taking passive skills for resists. My freezing pulse templar has max resists and all I've got is a few double resists on some armor and a 34% to all resists kite shield. I think passive points for resists in my opinion would be a waste.