Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Mozilla will automatically disable all plug-ins in Firefox

said by Mele20:

A bit behind the times? How? I have always hated Flash from its inception. I think I still have a bookmark to an prophetic article about the dangers in Flash (not particularly security dangers either) from back around 1999-2000.

»www.nngroup.com/articles ··· ent-bad/

Because Flash is not near the security issue it once was. Adobe has made good strides there and Google even +1s them by sandboxing the plugin in Chrome. This was a first for Mozilla and Java is far more dangerous atm.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by Selenia:

... Flash is not near the security issue it once was. Adobe has made good strides there and Google even +1s them by sandboxing the plugin in Chrome. This was a first for Mozilla and Java is far more dangerous atm.

It can be an ugly digital world out there. Any company producing software for the universe of Internet-facing computers has to be dead serious about security and software protection in a major way, or they will face extinction... it's a classic situation of 'go big or go home'. Adobe seems to be learning the lesson (though there may be some dissent on that), and there are now signs Oracle has finally awakened to the smell of smoke and is starting to focus resources on securing Java. Frankly, I have genuine hope for both of them to succeed in this... as I do for all software makers. But the sad reality seems to remain that only when a highly-publicized security mess occurs, will most companies grudgingly spend the resources to patch up their products that were flawed from inception.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
We are discussing Mozilla finally doing what Proxo has always done...give folks the freedom to decide whether or not to let a plugin run when a webpage is opened or instead have a toggle switch so the user can decide for themselves what happens. The issue is the same as allowing users to control cookies or forcing users to accept all cookies....willy-nilly. It is not a security issue as much as it is an issue of USER CONTROL and right to privacy and not being subjected to some crappy Flash movie unless they desire to see it. So, Flash is just as important, and actually probably more so, because Flash is on so many web pages and Java is not. Who wants some crappy, garbage Flash movie playing when you open a web page? Most users would prefer to choose if they wish to see the Flash movie.