Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca

internal internal IP

Hey there,

I'm trying to setup a Pentium IV asterisk server at work. I

the IT guy is too busy to help me or too rusty to give me a static IP address but I have his permission to do my own thing as long as I don't bother other people. I'm on a private IP range.

1)How can I find out which range of IPs I can use as a static IP address?

For now, I don't mind if the Asterisk server doesn't have access to the internet as long as my laptop has access to it.

2) Failing this , what would be the best (e.g cheapest) way to setup my own little LAN within a LAN(if that makes sense) and give myself a static IP address?

3)Is leaving the asterisk server on 24/7 to avoid having the DHCP leasing me a new address a possible (if incredibly "ghetto") solution?

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

said by Bruce Lee :

1)How can I find out which range of IPs I can use as a static IP address?

Your IT guy will have to tell you

said by Bruce Lee :

2) Failing this , what would be the best (e.g cheapest) way to setup my own little LAN within a LAN(if that makes sense) and give myself a static IP address?

You can do this simply by giving yourself a static IP address in a different subnet. This will allow you to have your own network, but it'll have no communication with the outside world.

If your network is 196.168.1.* for example, assign your Asterisk server and IP phones IP addresses that are 192.168.25.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24.

said by Bruce Lee :

3)Is leaving the asterisk server on 24/7 to avoid having the DHCP leasing me a new address a possible (if incredibly "ghetto") solution?

You cannot 100% rely on that, but in most circumstances that will provide the results you are looking for.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca
reply to Bruce Lee

Sorry, question 2 & 3 were answered by SCADAgeo in another thread before I saw his answers,lol