All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

2 recommendations

UHF to TheSMJ

MVM

to TheSMJ

Re: Another clogged drain thread: Bathtub drain clogged

Insta-Flo is what I use, and is in fact what the plumber used. Dissolves hair in a matter of minutes. I use it on my bathroom drains whenever they get slow from hair clogs.

»insta-flo.com/
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

TheSMJ

I picked up a bottle of the Insta-Flo, and dumped a cup of the stuff into the drain along with a kettle of boiling hot water.

And now the drain is clear! Thanks UHF!

The stuff puts on quite a show once it's mixed with hot water. It boils for quite a while.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to UHF

MVM

to UHF
said by UHF:

Insta-Flo is what I use, and is in fact what the plumber used. Dissolves hair in a matter of minutes. I use it on my bathroom drains whenever they get slow from hair clogs.

»insta-flo.com/

Insta-flow is just an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide (lye). It reacts with the fats/greases to make of all things, soap. And in the process, it also breaks down proteins, which is what hair is almost made entirely of.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

Yep, it is indeed lye. But it works. I think next time I'll try the cheaper jar of lye and see if it works just as well. I suspect that it will.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Crystal Drano is lye.
Hard on pipes but cheap.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

I compared crystal drano "professional strength" and insta-flo and while the active ingredient appears to be the same, the usage instructions differ between cold water (drano) and hot water (insta-flo).

When I bought the insta-flo the cashier at the hardware store warned me not to use hot water, only warm water.

For those that recommended insta-flo and have successfully used it, what water temperature did you use ?
In case it maters, my drain is cast iron (to the best of my knowledge the entire stretch from shower drain to city sewer).

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Kramer

Mod

I'm afraid to use lye anymore. Last time I used it it cracked the trap under my bathroom sink using warm water. The trap got so hot you couldn't touch it. No big deal in that case, but if the clog is in your walls or between floors, that's the point where the extreme heat builds up. I would guess cast iron could crack just as easily.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

TheSMJ

Ever use a cast iron skillet?

It would take a lot more heat than anything lye could provide to make cast iron flinch.
said by leibold:

I compared crystal drano "professional strength" and insta-flo and while the active ingredient appears to be the same, the usage instructions differ between cold water (drano) and hot water (insta-flo).

When I bought the insta-flo the cashier at the hardware store warned me not to use hot water, only warm water.

For those that recommended insta-flo and have successfully used it, what water temperature did you use ?
In case it maters, my drain is cast iron (to the best of my knowledge the entire stretch from shower drain to city sewer).

I used near-boiling hot water right out of a kettle. Don't worry about the cast iron plumbing. I doubt the pipe even got noticlbly warm to the touch since they dissipate heat so quickly.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to UHF

MVM

to UHF
said by UHF:

Insta-Flo is what I use
»insta-flo.com/

All I can say is: wow!

I finally tried it tonight and it works as advertised (which is a rare thing these days).

I did use hot water from the tap to preheat the drains (as per usage instructions) and used the same hot water to dissolve the crystals. After the waiting period (not timed but more then 1 minute) I flushed with boiling water followed with several more minutes of hot water from the tap.

The drain turned from painfully slow into a scary sounding gurgling monster that can't get enough water