rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad

Re: [IA] Mediacom usage meter not working

Are you really asking for this persons password? Even for the reasons stated, I would not be comfortable with this.

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

bulletsam

Ditto. Never give out passwords, period. I can't believe he/they even asked for it.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to rfnut

to rfnut
really what is chad going to do with the password? to me if they ask change it to some random thing then give it to them

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to rfnut

Premium Member

to rfnut
said by rfnut:

Are you really asking for this persons password? Even for the reasons stated, I would not be comfortable with this.

You do realize they can reset/suspend any account if they wanted to?

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Clive, IA

Radio_Guy to rfnut

Premium Member

to rfnut
said by rfnut :

said by bulletsam :
Ditto. Never give out passwords, period. I can't believe he/they even asked for it.
Any other day of the week I would agree. However, I can understand what they are trying to do on their end to get the issue resolved. They will need this information to get the job done right without calling me every 5 minutes asking me "what do you see now". As MediacomChad said, when they are done I can always change the password.
said by GLIMMER :
really what is chad going to do with the password? to me if they ask change it to some random thing then give it to them
It was some random thing to begin with. All good passwords are

As for the original issue, it looks like they are very close, if not finished, getting my problem fixed. My usage meter was updated to this morning, and it seems accurate so far.

bulletsam
Charleston, IL

bulletsam

I'm just really cautious, I guess. I've seen far too many people fall victim to phishing, and compromised/hacked sites, giving out info to people who aren't who they say they are.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by bulletsam:

I'm just really cautious, I guess. I've seen far too many people fall victim to phishing, and compromised/hacked sites, giving out info to people who aren't who they say they are.

I believe anyone who frequents this forum would realize that the Mediacom Chad account is very real and indeed who they say it is.

bulletsam
Charleston, IL

bulletsam

to mattmag
So you're basically saying any forum that you frequent can't have accounts compromised. Really?

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by bulletsam:

to mattmag
So you're basically saying any forum that you frequent can't have accounts compromised. Really?

No, I did not.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

said by rfnut:

You do realize they can reset/suspend any account if they wanted to?

There is a huge difference between an administrative action such as above and accessing someones account and testing various things. NO ONE who has the capability of actually accessing the account NEEDS my password. Period.
If they want to use my account to perform troubleshooting with or without my permission they can change the password themselves and then tell/allow me to reset it myself afterward. This creates the proper accountability of actions. I am not the paranoid type, but if I were in the same situation I would politely give permission for them to use my account as they need. I will not ever provide a password. Probably the DoD IT Admin Security training in me though.

Edit: BTW I trust MediacomChad See Profile. He has performed miracles at times for users here. I still would not give him my password. Trust is not the issue.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

I would think a technical shop would have their own set of "customer" accounts, including extra internal modem connections, to be testing any of their changes with. I wouldn't think they'd need to use a real customer account to test this, unless they truly think it is an account configuration issue that might be very unique in its cause and impact. And if so, then they have bigger problems in how they've implemented a monitoring too like this if they expect it to work correctly for everyone.