Search similar:

uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Chicago Tribune Gives Canada a Shout Out

They like us, apparently. We're "Chicago cool".

»www.chicagotribune.com/n ··· 49.story

Here... are the top reasons that Chicago loves Canada.

•Canada’s banks are regulated and stable.

•Canada’s housing market never collapsed like it did in the U.S.

•Canada’s health-care system is the envy of the U.S.

•Canada is experiencing a gold-rush energy boom.

•The loonie trades at an equal value to the U.S. dollar.

•Canadian PM Stephen Harper is expected to ink a free-trade agreement with the European Union that will put pressure on the U.S. to do the same.

•While Chicago roots for its Blackhawks, half the team hails from Canada.

•Low rates of gun crime.

•Our sesame seed bagels, smoked meat and Tim Hortons double doubles.

•On a per-capita basis, Canada is one of the world’s most prosperous countries.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Many of those things are inter-related -- e.g.- bank regulation and the stable housing market.

I just don't understand how Tim Horton's swill ever got listed as a good thing!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Out of all the crappy franchise coffee out there, Tim's is the only one I find drinkable.
Their donuts have changed over the last 20 years though, no longer edible, whatever grease or fat they use now, is disgusting.
EUS

EUS to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
What's with the flattery? They trying to get Canadians to start purchasing housing in Chicago now?

HEY CHICAGO, WE'VE BLOWN ALL OUR EXTRA DOUGH ON FLORIDA CONDOS!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Chicago and Toronto may as well be twins separated at birth. This isn't surprising.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

Out of all the crappy franchise coffee out there, Tim's is the only one I find drinkable.

Maybe it's different in your area, but I find even McDonald's coffee superior to Tim's. Tim's coffee always makes me think of what the water in a mud-puddle would taste like if you warmed it up and put some sugar in it.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Cannot speak on McDonalds, I never go there. Starbucks makes me want to vomit, DD is just as bad.
I actually like the coffee served in US Mobile gas stations, not bad, "Green Mountain" brand I believe?
EUS

EUS to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Chicago and Toronto may as well be twins separated at birth. This isn't surprising.

Careful now, visiting Chicago is actually fun.
Misaow
join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON

Misaow to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

Their donuts have changed over the last 20 years though, no longer edible, whatever grease or fat they use now, is disgusting.

Change was done in 2003 from fresh backed twice daily to frozen crap made 4-6 months prior.

Souce: I worked there during that time and was baffled how they ''tested'' the new stuff on firefighters and they agreed 9/10 that the frozen stuff was equal or better than the old stuff.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Any one watch the series Boss ? It was a fantastic show , I only wish they would continue with further episodes. In the second season Chicago Mayor Tom Kane visited Toronto for experimental treatment to relieve the onset of a horrible dementia.

Chicago is a cool city, I need to get back there again for a visit
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
Second Cup & Timothy's non-blended coffee (Costa Rican, Honduran, Columbian, etc...) is just fine, and better than the other chains.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

said by Gone:

Yes. But I remember the highway in and out being a parking lot (back in 2003).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

... and if you aren't Canadian, visiting Toronto is fun, too

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
I've been a few times over the years, I've never witnessed that (lucky I guess). I do remember thinking the big rig drivers were absolutely insane, for the high speeds /tailgating they were doing.
Massive freeway, everyone going at least 75mph.
EUS

EUS to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Last time I visited, I clearly remember being "downtown" at 10pm on a weekend night wondering if there was a mandated curfew...
I thought I went to Ottawa by mistake.
I'll hush now.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by EUS:

Last time I visited, I clearly remember being "downtown" at 10pm on a weekend night wondering if there was a mandated curfew...
I thought I went to Ottawa by mistake.
I'll hush now.

The reason for that is quite simple - people don't go "downtown" to have fun in Toronto.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Played at the El macombo, the horseshoe, (this was in the nineties), my memory is fading....
I did have a nice visit.
Probably not technically downtown, hence the quotes, not sure what it's called. People traffic seemed to be missing.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· embedded

And Molson's new commercial about Canadians has gone viral...

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
Toronto did once have the reputation of rolling up the sidewalks at night, but that was a long time ago. Back then there was even a law requiring gas stations in the city proper to close at 6 pm to discourage evil cars from entering the city. Things change, though much of city council is still nuts.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Gee....nowhere in DKS's post or the article did I see Toronto mentioned.
Canada yes, Toronto no.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

Gee....nowhere in DKS's post or the article did I see Toronto mentioned.
Canada yes, Toronto no.

What's your point, FaxCap? Toronto and Chicago have had close ties between each other for a very long time. Hell, their geography is even similar. The fact that Chicago likes Canada is not surprising considering that they have always had a very close relationship with Toronto.

In case you didn't know, Toronto is a Canadian city and will continue to be no matter how much that may tick you or anyone else off.
(Likewise, BC isn't always the first thing that comes to an American's mind when they think of Canada, either)

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Gone:

What's your point, FaxCap?

Did I need a "point"?

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Don't worry, your point is obvious enough that I already figured it out for myself.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Not only is Toronto a Canadian city, it's probably the most typically Canadian of all our major cities -- diverse, tolerant, and with a balance of business and entertainment. Montreal is wonderful but for many reasons is totally unique, Vancouver is afflicted by whatever is trapped in the air between the Rockies and the Pacific that makes them the way they are, and most other cities just reflect regional characteristics, the way Saskatoon will always be Prairie Town and Calgary, Oil Town.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Misaow

Premium Member

to Misaow
No it was par baked, not frozen

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to DKS

to DKS
How can any list of best-things-in-Canada omit "beer" and "Elisha Cuthbert" and expect to be taken seriously?

and Kimmy too

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Boss was an awesome show, well written,well acted.
Too bad America loves shows like How I met your mother instead

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

Vancouver is afflicted by whatever is trapped in the air between the Rockies and the Pacific that makes them the way they are

If I was in my early 20's would I stay in Vancouver? Hell no....I'd be
off to Alberta fast. More corporate head offices in Calgary than
Toronto.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

More corporate head offices in Calgary than
Toronto.

Bzzzt wrong. There were 163 in Toronto in 2011, and only 81 in Calgary. 33% of all Canadian corporate HQs are in Toronto.

»www.fraserinstitute.org/ ··· 2013.pdf

(Granted, Calgary has more per person, but that hasn't changed in the last 20+ years either)

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Not only that, but almost three-quarters of Calgary's head offices are energy companies, mostly oil and gas. Toronto not only has twice as many corporate head offices, but they are more diversified.