Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to DonianAzar

Premium Member

to DonianAzar

Re: Recording from tape to Audacity

said by DonianAzar :

I use the microphone slot to record the tapes...

That's your problem right there. As mack1951 See Profile tried to explain in the second post from the top, you cannot use a mic input with line-level outputs, such as from a tape player. You need a stereo line input. Some computers (maybe your old one?) have a single COMBINED mic/line input that senses the audio signal and automatically switches to the correct setting. If your new computer has only a typical simple mic input, your recordings will be distorted from over-modulation.

That's the reason I suggested the inexpensive Behringer device above. It accepts your analog line-level tape signal and converts it to a digital signal which is fed to your computer via USB, bypassing your new computer's mic input and sound card completely. To make a recording with Audacity, you have to set it up for "USB mic" recording (that's how Windows 7 somewhat incorrectly refers to any USB audio input) using the specific, detailed Audacity instructions I linked above.

If you are using the Behringer device correctly, NOTHING should be connected to your computer's mic input.

DonianAzar
@rr.com

DonianAzar

Anon

There are a few things I have noted.

One is that when I plugged in the cable to my old computer it would ask me for line or microphone. This new computer doesn't ask me anything when I plug it in, so I just open Audacity normally.

In regards to the Behringer I've gotten nothing so far except a ringing noise. I just plug in the USB to the computer (tried both USB slots) and plug the cable in the 'phones' slot and the other end of the cable to the tape player. In Audacity I chose USB Audio for both Speakers and Microphone (even taking off one or the other), tried Sound Mapper, and even used internal and external microphone. I've basically tried every combination I could think of, and still the same distorted sound (and with the Behringer just a ringing sound). So needless to say any help is greatly appreciated.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

said by DonianAzar :

when I plugged in the cable to my old computer it would ask me for line or microphone. This new computer doesn't ask me anything when I plug it in

Because it's strictly a mono MIC input, which is NOT going to work for your purposes.
said by DonianAzar :

...and plug the cable in the 'phones' slot and the other end of the cable to the tape player.

There's your problem! The "PHONES" slot is an output jack FOR HEADPHONES to monitor (listen to) what you're playing through the Behringer UCA202 USB device. You need a cable coming from the tape player with a pair of standard RCA plugs (one for each stereo channel) that plugs into the corresponding two RCA jacks marked "INPUT" on the side of the Behringer OPPOSITE from the "PHONES" jack side. You cannot use the cable with the little Mini Plug that you used with your old computer...and you cannot feed the output from your tape player into a headphones jack. I'm looking at a good photo of the UCA202 here: »www.behringer.com/assets ··· e_XL.jpg

Also, once you straighten out your wiring and connections, make sure you understand and follow the instructions on the Audacity pages for setting up Windows 7.

DonianAzar
@rr.com

DonianAzar

Anon

I wanted to thank everyone for their help, especially Steely who had many good suggestions. I have now found out that my brother's computer will play my tapes with no problem. Both of our computer's run on the exact same operating system, but his records my tapes whereas mine does not. Again thank you all for your help, and I will soon resolve this issue.