Search similar:

uniqs
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

[HSI] Charter Broadband Only $5 Fee?

One of our readers found a new $5 surcharge on his bill for broadband-only service which takes effect Feb. 25 in Reno. Is this typical for Charter in other cities? Has this always been the case? Or is it something very new.

I have a very hard time trying to wrap my head around Charter's rate increases because they are all over the place.
Expand your moderator at work
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Ryan818 to Dampier

to Dampier

Re: [HSI] Charter Broadband Only $5 Fee?

said by Dampier:

One of our readers found a new $5 surcharge on his bill for broadband-only service which takes effect Feb. 25 in Reno. Is this typical for Charter in other cities? Has this always been the case? Or is it something very new.

I have a very hard time trying to wrap my head around Charter's rate increases because they are all over the place.

I just cancelled my TV service with Charter and was quoted an extra $5 for only Internet. That makes my $49.99 for 30/4 now $54.99. It is slightly less than the previous $10 surcharge that I used to see on the bill before I signed up for TV service in 2011. I couldn't justify spending $130 a month on TV and Internet.
grayem
join:2000-09-22
Saint Louis, MO

grayem to Dampier

to Dampier
Good Grief.
I would love to see Google Fiber come to my area. We need competition.

How is it fair to charge people for not buying something?

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier

said by Dampier:

Charter has ALWAYS done this and as stated by Ryan818, it did use to be $10.

I think most cable company's do this also, although not positive.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

1 edit

NightOwl2 to Dampier

to Dampier
I received a snail mail/flyer combo informing me of HSI increase to $54.99 as of Feb. 25th and pushing unwanted Triple Play. However, my online bill, received yesterday, still shows $49.99 for 2-10 thru 3-9, no extra fee. When I had a double play, there was a $10.00 discount, split up as $5.00 per service.
kruser
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO

kruser to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
My latest bill showed that the Ultra charge of $40 would go to $55 with my next bill. That's a 37.5% increase.
Kinda steep if you ask me.
They have never charged me for being an internet only customer and no mention of it starting on my latest bill anyway.
I'm sure they will hit me with that after the 37.5% increase sinks in for a while.
krudl3r
join:2005-06-29
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r to Dampier

to Dampier
I wonder if this will go away once Charter starts encrypting tv.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to cork1958

to cork1958
As you've stated, every cable company charges this. Most is $10 per month. Nothing new here.
krudl3r
join:2005-06-29
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r

But will they get rid of the fee once they encrypt tv? That was always the rationale for charging the fee...

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

My understanding was, that it is simply a "discount" that is given to customers who subscribe to more than one service, and when they drop to one service, the discount goes away... the same as other providers.

I also thought it was $10.00 before. Guess that changed with all the other changes recently.
grayem
Saint Louis, MO

grayem to cork1958

to cork1958
delete
grayem

grayem to cork1958

to cork1958
Charter has ALWAYS done this and as stated by Ryan818, it did use to be $10.

I have never seen this item nor ever paid it, that was over a few year time.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to msmisfit

to msmisfit
I looked at an old bill, and it said Charter Bundle Discount, $10.00, not $5.00 for each service, as I had thought. But it doesn't specifically say just for internet.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to Dampier

to Dampier
I have not got charged this "extra" free since I went Ultra. I used to get it on lower tier, but not anymore for just HSI.

I think it is used to encourage lower tier HSI users to get cable TV, because with the fee you could get basic cable for same price so makes sense to get it. At least here it is like that.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to grayem

MVM

to grayem
said by grayem:

How is it fair to charge people for not buying something?

Both cable and telco factor plant maintenance costs into the prices for their respective core services; TV and PSTN. Each will include Internet on top of the core services, but won't factor plant maintenance into the Internet prices. So drop the core services, and where do they collect plant maintenance from their Internet-only customers? Somebody has to cover the cost of maintaining the coax/copper plant. Even my ISP has to pay AT&T to use their last mile copper for my service.
grayem
Saint Louis, MO

grayem

Bah. Charge what it costs, add your profit. Give a discount with bundles, but charging extra fees on top of the actual price is dumb.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to grayem

MVM

to grayem

said by grayem:

Bah. Charge what it costs, add your profit. Give a discount with bundles, but charging extra fees on top of the actual price is dumb.

What is this "actual price"?
razorbladebi
join:2005-04-14

razorbladebi

They did that to me here in Dallas/Ft Worth Texas. I was paying 39.99/mo for two-year Internet only (Internet Plus) which bumped up to 49.99 in Nov. Then they added the $5 fee (snail mail letter this month). Switched over to AT&T 6MBps DSL for $35/mo after five different folks said they wouldn't budge on the price. $40/mo is my sweet spot, and while I miss the extra bandwidth, 6MBps let's my wife and I game and watch Netflix pretty reasonably, so I went with that.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
Not *every* ISP. I have yet to see Time Warner do this and I've been internet only for years.