·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
reply to Mango

Re: QoS Routers that actually work.....

said by Mango:

Yes, it does.

What I would really like to be able to do, but currently can't, is throttle normal internet traffic to something extremely aggressive like 50%, but only when a VoIP call is in progress. This could compensate for internet connections with fluctuating speeds. Could pfsense do that?

Yes.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by XCOM:

said by Mango:

Yes, it does.

What I would really like to be able to do, but currently can't, is throttle normal internet traffic to something extremely aggressive like 50%, but only when a VoIP call is in progress. This could compensate for internet connections with fluctuating speeds. Could pfsense do that?

Yes.

My morning coffee is still doing its magic, how would you do this in pfsense?

Using rate limiters?

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to VexorgTR

In pfsense I have a certain IP range throttled down to just below the max of the DL and i have a certain PC throttled down to 1.2mbps.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
reply to Hagar

We max out at 2 simultaneous calls in our system at a time... so although QoS would be a good thing, i have done ok without it for quite a time already.

My ISP actually does Guarantee at least 80% of the quoted 30/5 even during peak times.

DBOD

join:2012-10-17
reply to VexorgTR

I use a Netgear router FVS318G (my FVS338 was just as good). I have not experienced any SIP quality issues. I run 6 PCs but only two of them ever browse any videos. I run a 3CX PBX with six phones but we have a license limit of 4 calls. Those are run over two SIP trunks to Callcentric for the two businesses here. I can only get U-verse 1.5 Mpbs down and 384 Kbps up at this location. Even when I am choking the downstream with video, we don't have any audio issues on up to four calls.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh

+1 for pfsense, although I also like m0n0wall for small installations

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to VexorgTR

said by VexorgTR:

My ISP actually does Guarantee at least 80% of the quoted 30/5 even during peak times.

So you have a Service Level Agreement with the ISP that guarantees you 80% ? What happens if the SLA fails to deliver and how do you measure that SLA?

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

said by mozerd:

said by VexorgTR:

So you have a Service Level Agreement with the ISP that guarantees you 80% ? What happens if the SLA fails to deliver and how do you measure that SLA?

They offer test utilities that can be obtained on a web site. If it is underperforming, I can phone them and it's promptly repaired.

It's not a super great lock, but I've used this method to rapidly get repairs dispatched twice over the course of usage.