uniqs
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to koira

Premium Member

to koira

Re: [Weather] Special weather statements ON, NB, NS, NL

Rain, that would be quite epic here in town considering we have yet to have been treated to any snow removal worth mention.

There's no where for even a small bit of rain to drain so, hmm it could get particularly nasty almost immediately here.

I have no where I need to be the next few days though, so I suppose I will keep myself off the streets.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to chabu

to chabu
said by chabu:

Is there any risk of freezing rain in the GTAA this evening?
What is it expected, if any???

the Greater Toronto Airports Authority?

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to chabu

Anon

to chabu
Toronto's forecast is just drizzle tonight but really it's anyone's guess if it comes down freezing or not.

»www.theweathernetwork.co ··· caon0696

Drive 10 miles in any direction in the GTA and it becomes a whole different micro-climate.
Expand your moderator at work
chabu
join:2002-01-16

chabu to lugnut

to lugnut

Re: [Weather] Special weather statements ON, NB, NS, NL

thanks...
What about toronto??

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to chabu

Anon

to chabu
Forecast is freezing rain this evening in Mississauga turning to regular rain overnight and rain and drizzle all day tomorrow.
chabu
join:2002-01-16

chabu to koira

to koira
Is there any risk of freezing rain in the GTAA this evening?
What is it expected, if any???
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai to koira

Premium Member

to koira
said by koira:

Stop whining Lindsey. Consider what we cottagers to the north now pay to subsidize your taxes after the amalgamation. We were much better off when we were Sommerville part of Victoria County.

Actually I fully agree with you. 'City of Kawartha Lakes' has to be the biggest load of bull I have experienced since living here from 1967. Transit system, what a crock, they might as well make the 3 town buses ALL LIMO buses as the only people using them are the elderly most days. Bloody things are more akin to tour buses for speed. And if it is a city, why doesn't the buses go to all of it eh?

Just about every aspect of City of Kawartha Lakes is an offense to anyone with a brain. Damned right the outlying portions have been given the shaft.

I never regard this town as anything other than what it is, a TOWN called Lindsay and nothing else.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

1 edit

koira to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
We went yesterday to the leash free park beside the Suncor refinery on the lakeshore midafternoon. it was all drifting there and the lake was choppy. Maybe 2 meter waves and heavy snow sideways. Didn't stay long but the dog sure liked ripping some fresh tracks in waist deep pow. Nice to see the big lake on a storm day like that, pretty nasty out there in a very sheltered north shore bay. Can't even imagine how that compares to what NE US and CDN coast got.
But today was totally opposite, our wolf size dog was pounding through it , snow she loves it. Gotta love a cold quiet blue sky day after a storm like that, winter that's what its all about. And I have to say I haven't talked with so many neighbors for quite some time. Met some new ones too. Seems everyone reconnects when they are out shovelling.
koira

koira to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

As we are getting rain I shovelled parts of my roof off. Now did any of you think of that?

We seemed to load up pretty high drifts, must be say 18" or 45 cm in a large area but not bad overall. It has good exposure I'm not worried about this incident, there were times in the past when it was a couple feet thick and I moved some of it off. Typically it accumulates worse if its warmer it sticks. Yesterday was cold and dry and blew off more on the driveway and yard.
koira

koira to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
Stop whining Lindsey. Consider what we cottagers to the north now pay to subsidize your taxes after the amalgamation. We were much better off when we were Sommerville part of Victoria County.
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Here in Lindsay, which never seems to be mentioned in the news (understandable as nothing normally happens here), and it was spectacularly sunny, and not at all a bad day for a walk temp wise.

But I suspect everyone that could drive a snow removal vehicle was working elsewhere. I saw not one single publicly driven machine the entire day. Now I saw lots of well paid dudes clearing private property like businesses and apartment buildings.

But here in town, if you were on foot and not on Kent street (main street), you would be walking on the road. Not one iota of snow removal on sidewalks (which as a result can't be found let alone used). The main street sidewalks, well they are half and half. The shops managed to clear from the wall to half way, but the road was on the other side of a 3 foot high 4-8 foot barrier of snow. Thus, downtown, you likely were only crossing the street at intersections unless you found a fluke passage hacked through to the street. Can't blame the businesses though, there would be no where to have put the snow any way.

Thaw? Rain? well I think it would need to be quite a thaw and a lot of rain to dent the snow cover that is currently out there right now. But the salt has made the roads at least decent surface on the main street. I have no idea what off the main street looks like though. No way for a person on foot to get to them. I was not in the mood to wander down mostly unplowed looking streets.

Our town never seems to get attention from anyone with any skill when it comes to snow removal. The street plows seem to never go closer than 2-3 feet from the curb, and the side walk machines seem unable to get closer than 4 inches from the surface of the walk.
So with this much snow, I don't think the pedestrian situation in town is going to be very nice for a good while.

It would be nice if it actually was a law that the person owning the property actually was responsible to clear the pedestrian way in front of their property. I sure can't expect it to be done by local utility that's for sure.

But the snow sure has made for some splendid vistas on my walk. Almost looks 1970s to me out there.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to lugnut

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Again one of the best thirty dollar purchases I ever made...

I've got a similar one with two sections. I've got some valleys that drifted in with 4 feet of snow. Probably weigh a ton or two when it rains on Monday.
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

OTOH, this is also prime weather for over-enthusiastic homeowners falling off roofs, and it's not my intention to be one of them. If anything leaks I'm blaming the builder.

How sweet. You were worried about me falling off the roof. Admit it. I shovel the roof from the ground so I'm quite safe but I appreciate your concern.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

As we are getting rain I shovelled parts of my roof off. Now did any of you think of that?

Heavy snow followed by a big thaw with freezing at night is actually prime weather for roof and basement leaks, because ice dams near the roof edges can create nice lakes on the roof, and eavestroughs and downspouts clogged with ice can cause water to pour down around the foundation.

OTOH, this is also prime weather for over-enthusiastic homeowners falling off roofs, and it's not my intention to be one of them. If anything leaks I'm blaming the builder.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to peterboro

Anon

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I cleared my roof as well since I had a huge accumulation on my garage roof overhanging my walkway. Inasmuch as I am not an idiot, though, I invested in one of these back in 2007 to make the job much much easier and spare myself the danger of climbing a ladder onto an icy roof.

»www.canadiantire.ca/AST/ ··· ocale=en

Again one of the best thirty dollar purchases I ever made...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to koira

to koira

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
headed out for a couple errands earlier only to experience some excessive wheel shake at speeds about 60 km/hr...i figured i either lost a weight on my rim or i have a bunch of snow/ice built up on the inside of the rim...when i got to the dealership (which is where i was going), the service guy said it is pretty rare to lose a weight and that it was likely just snow/ice build up on the inside of the rim...when i left, i checked and noticed that all the weights were still on, so i did a closer inspection to see the inside of the rim, and sure enough, a whole bunch of crusted on snow/ice...clear it all off and no problems afterwards.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to Wolfie00

Anon

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

So before you go pouring that Cab into a goulash, check it out and you may be surprised!

You've sold me!!! McCain Pizza Pockets and Chilean Cabernet for dinner tonight it is!!!

But seriously though, everyone in this household is on too much medication to drink more than a glass at a sitting anyway. Age range here is from Old Fart to Ancient. I'll try a glass when I open it, but chances are most of it will end up in the cooking anyway.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

Screw-top caps mean nothing, as they are well engineered these days and some very good and surprisingly costly wines are bottled that way.

Indeed. The chance of the wine spoiling due to a bad seal are comparatively quite high with cork than it is with a screw top. The only reason most wineries haven't switched to them is because of consumer perception.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
Screw-top caps mean nothing, as they are well engineered these days and some very good and surprisingly costly wines are bottled that way. Also, while South American wines tend to cost less than those from many other regions, Chilean and Argentinian wines can hold their own with many excellent wines from other places, and often represent excellent value. So before you go pouring that Cab into a goulash, check it out and you may be surprised!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to koira

to koira
Just came back from walking the dog. Great sunny day with no wind. Ah... Canadian winter!

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to Wolfie00

Anon

to Wolfie00
More good karma.

The neighbour who got stuck in front of my house yesterday and I allowed to park in my driveway overnight just rang my doorbell with a bottle of wine in hand as a "thank you" for helping her out. Not to mention she sent her husband this AM before I poked my nose out the door to shovel by hand the crap that the plow dumped blocking her in. I ended up having to do no more shoveling this morning than a bare minimum to clean up the edges.

Sure it's a Chilean Cabernet with a screw top cap but it's the thought that counts. Besides, I'm not really a wine drinker these days but I'll make good use of it cooking up a Hungarian Goulash or something this week.

What goes around comes around

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Hah! Great example of good neighbour-ness. I started slowly shoveling out my driveway wondering how I was going to deal with that mass of snow not to mention the great big icy plow drift at the end, and a neighbour with a pickup and plow attachment came over and cleaned the whole thing out in seconds. Now I'm back in the house contemplating a hot rum and cider, and I'm still **almost** keeping to my record of not having really shoveled snow since about two winters ago!
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
This is fun.

Our tow truck got stuck. They had to send out a bigger tow truck to pull out both the original tow truck, and my husband's car.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

At the same time when enterprising kids tried this during the Canadian Open, they cracked down. Can't have cars spoiling tony Kingsway.

Then they let them go ahead. I have family who live on the street what got ticketed. And it wasn't in the Kingsway area. It was north of that, on Princess Margaret, and around Richview.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to koira

Premium Member

to koira
F'n twits, headed out earlier, went around the corner, and all the morons parked at the edge of the snowbank, which put them smack in the middle of the road.

No way an emergency vehicle would get through. Quick call to parking enforcement fixes that.

Were talking about people who bring home their taxis and school buses.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Tow times in Toronto are 6-24 hrs right now. You really don't wanna get stuck.

Building's plow didn't do the area in front of the visitor parking, so nobody can get out of that area without a tow, because its sheer ice under it.

$100 to move the car 50ft, with only a 20 minute wait because there was a driver near there willing to fit us in quick.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Wolfie00 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by digitalfutur:

Did anyone notice what was common with almost every stuck car? No snow tires.

Saw someone with snow tires slide through a partially paved parking lot today due to driving like a fool. The driver behind the wheel is far more important than the rubber on the rims. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool themselves.

I had to go out late Friday morning for an appointment, and my street wasn't plowed yet. There was a car stuck just up the street and was having a hard time getting out. I backed out of my driveway and went on my way without even a wheelspin. When I got back there was even more snow, and yet another car stuck, this one almost in front of my driveway on the far side, so that I had to make a sharp turn to get in. This time there was a momentary wheelspin before I got straightened out and drove up to the house. I had no trouble the entire trip out, except poor visibility at times on the highway.

I have no snow tires, just my standard all-seasons. OTOH, while I was out I did see a pickup with what looked like giant snow tires driving much too fast and get into a spectacular series of weaving skids and very nearly ending up in the ditch. The nut behind the wheel -- the car part responsible for most accidents.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Have a look at the streets around the CNE when its running, lawn parking gone wild.

At the same time when enterprising kids tried this during the Canadian Open, they cracked down. Can't have cars spoiling tony Kingsway.