« How I Met Your Mother heads to CanadaSaw the ISS »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · next

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to koira

Anon

to koira

Re: [Weather] Special weather statements ON, NB, NS, NL

The Honda didn't fail me at all today. But the city plows have not yet made so much as a single pass on my street yet today. Cars and vans are getting trapped on my street like flypaper. One of my neighbours couldn't make it up the street to her own house with her bald all seasons and I ended up allowing her to park in my driveway overnight until the city finally gets off its ass and sends a plow around.

Anyway, I figure either tonight by midnight or sometime tomorrow AM I'll have another 10 - 15 CM of snow to blow as well as whatever crap the plow finally dumps in front of my house.

I'm all for saving the city money but it's just plain stupid for the city of Mississauga not to roll the plows until the last flake falls. When I lived in Montreal during a storm like this the plows would roll over the same street two or three times during and after a storm.

Sure the city's saving a few million, but the citizens are paying millions in insurance claims for all the accidents on the piss poor roads.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to hm

to hm
I remove the tarp in the winter. I use it to work under in the summer instead working in the garage. There is just a top tarp and no sides.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to koira

to koira
Just 5 days 'till pitchers and catchers report to Dunedin.

»twitter.com/DunedinBlueJ ··· /photo/1

OK! Blue Jays! Let's Play ball!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to DKS

MVM

to DKS
It looks like Boston is currently forecast to get 107cm during this storm. Now THAT is a major snowstorm Especially because Boston is even less equipped for major snowfall than Toronto. They get about 10 inches less a year.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I can't help but find snowfall in Toronto both amusing and sad. Closing schools because a sidewalk isn't ploughed is silly. That's what boots are for. Closing schools because the buses can't get to the school is another thing, but then that's a failure of the city's snowremoval plan. Maybe Toronto doesn't have snow as much or often as Montreal, but it still happens regularly in decent amounts. So how is it that the city is helpless before a minor snowstorm?

Well, this storm wasn't minor. We're almost at 35 cm which would qualify as the largest snow storm ever for this city. (Kitchener anyway)

Montreal gets an average of 226 cm of snow, Toronto is 133 cm. so Montreal get's just a little more than 3 more feet of snow per year over Toronto.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to koira

to koira
CBC web site has nice comments how ridiculous Toronto people are.

"Only 15-25 cms and it's, "the worst snowstorm in years"? That's called a dusting in New Brunswick! LOL"

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/s ··· orm.html

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to koira

MVM,

to koira
Is it ever going to stop snowing?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

It looks like Boston is currently forecast to get 107cm during this storm. Now THAT is a major snowstorm Especially because Boston is even less equipped for major snowfall than Toronto. They get about 10 inches less a year.

Maybe they'll call in the national guard?

Oh wait...

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to peterboro

Anon

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I remove the tarp in the winter. I use it to work under in the summer instead working in the garage. There is just a top tarp and no sides.

yeah similar to one my bud has. So I guess It's a summer one you have. Used to keep the rays from damaging the dash or interior type thing. Or to work under for protection from the sun/rain.

i giggled
@videotron.ca

i giggled to DKS

Anon

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Guspaz:

But then, as Gone said, we get a lot more snow, so my scale is pretty different.

Yes, I know. I have lived in Montreal.

Snow banks all around my car are 7 feet high. When looking at the pictures here of what people are calling "crazy", I chuckled.

Montreal gets more snow than that in summer!

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Just finished clearing out the driveway with the blower. Easily 30cm on the ground in Burlington.

Did anyone notice what was common with almost every stuck car? No snow tires.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to koira

Premium Member

to koira
FYI - 401 Eastbound is closed from Kingston (exit 632) all the way to Prescott (Exit 716) - it's rare to have an 80km stretch closed. 401 Westbound is closed in the Mallorytown area - a large Charter bus has overturned and is blocking the highway - multiple ambulances on scene taking victims to Brockville General Hospital.

If for any stupid reason anyone was trying to get from Toronto to Ottawa tonight - don't (or if you must, take Hwy 7 from Peterborough).

We've had a little around 30cm in Kingston and it's still coming down mighty hard with a lot of wind mixed in.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to hm

Premium Member

to hm
said by hm :

said by peterboro:

yeah similar to one my bud has. So I guess It's a summer one you have. Used to keep the rays from damaging the dash or interior type thing. Or to work under for protection from the sun/rain.

Yeah but you don't live in DJ's neighbourhood, where such things are frowned upon.

It reminds me of the opening theme to Weeds.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Gf5_6dUA
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Watching the twit in the mini van trying to get out now. It's hilarious to watch, he's stuck in the middle of the road, the front wheel drive just spinning....

you2
Mmm, gravy train.
Premium Member
join:2004-06-06
Toronto, ON

you2 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Most cars on my street are buried to almost the hoods, but with little snow on the roofs and trunks. Wind's really whipping it around now. They may have to shovel out, but at least they won't have to clean too much off their cars. I parked on a side street where they use one those bobcats elwood mentioned or at most with a pickup so I don't get plowed in by one of the behemoths. And my street is a snow route.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Updated snow totals...as of 5 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Location snow amount (cm)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mount Brydges 23*
Goderich 14
Kitchener 25*
Fergus 33*
Delhi 27
Welland 21
Grimsby mountain 26
St catherines 30*
St catherine south 33*
Dundas 35*
Hamilton arpt 14
Toronto - Pearson 24
Toronto - downtown 25
Toronto - Downsview 30
Markham 27*
Woodbridge 30*
Buttonville 35
Thornhill 34*
Richmond Hill 29*
Sharon 28*
Caledon 25*
Orilla 36*
Wiarton 24
Trenton 27 estimated
Brighton 25*
Pickering 30*
Bowmanville 26*
Ottawa - donwtown 12*
Gatineau 16

* volunteer observations

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

No..Boston gets almost as much as Toronto...115 cm vs 133 cm for Toronto.

However, having a yearly total fall in a few hours would cripple any city...even Montreal.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Hydraglass

Mod

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

If for any stupid reason anyone was trying to get from Toronto to Ottawa tonight - don't (or if you must, take Hwy 7 from Peterborough).

The Windsor Spitfires were trying to get to Ottawa for a game tonight and they're not going to make it. The game is rescheduled for tomorrow, after the Senators-Jets game.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
Just watched a twit speeding southbound down Bathurst. No control of his car whatsoever. Fishtailing all over the place, and at one point, his car's nose was facing east instead of south. People are seriously stupid.
»twitter.com/RessyM/statu ··· 30167296

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Saw someone with snow tires slide through a partially paved parking lot today due to driving like a fool. The driver behind the wheel is far more important than the rubber on the rims. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool themselves.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Oddly I didn't see any stuck cars. Of course I was out on the highway at 5am and back in Burlington at 2pm.

I will admit that I don't have snow tires. My vehicle runs high off the ground, I have 4WD and I'm a steady driver. I haven't been stuck in snow since driving my dad's oldsmobile. I can't tell you the make model or year. I can remember getting stuck more than once in it. V8 engine, rear wheel drive... just not a good winter drive for a teen.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Once snow is glued to a snow tire, you have snow on snow, doesn't matter if you have snow tires or summer tires..it's still snow on snow. People need to learn to slow down a bit.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to J E F F4

MVM

to J E F F4
said by Guspaz:

Especially because Boston is even less equipped for major snowfall than Toronto. They get about 10 inches less a year.

said by J E F F4:

Boston gets 109cm a year. Toronto gets 133cm a year. 133-109 = 24cm, which is roughly 10 inches.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Watching the twit in the mini van trying to get out now. It's hilarious to watch, he's stuck in the middle of the road, the front wheel drive just spinning....

Watching CityNew and so many cars stuck like that. TTC buses need a push up the hill. One or two cars stuck on 401 ramp. People trying to help/shovel...So all the traffic is blocked behind. People just out shoveling on 401 while cars going by. Trucks cant go up the 401 ramp.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Guspaz:

Especially because Boston is even less equipped for major snowfall than Toronto. They get about 10 inches less a year.

said by J E F F4:

Boston gets 109cm a year. Toronto gets 133cm a year. 133-109 = 24cm, which is roughly 10 inches.

In which case, I read your thread wrong...thought you said they get less than 10" a year. We will agree though, that the different is 9"...you say 10", I say 8"...so 9" it is.

Still, they're saying 30" (well, 2 1/2 feet they say), so that's enough to make anyones day crap. And if you're on the road at all tonight, you get a free trip to the jail...CNN is showing Boston right now and it looks absolutely nasty...and it's getting a whole lot worse. That type of snow I think would destroy Montreal too...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

FYI - 401 Eastbound is closed from Kingston (exit 632) all the way to Prescott (Exit 716) - it's rare to have an 80km stretch closed. 401 Westbound is closed in the Mallorytown area - a large Charter bus has overturned and is blocking the highway - multiple ambulances on scene taking victims to Brockville General Hospital.

We've had a little around 30cm in Kingston and it's still coming down mighty hard with a lot of wind mixed in.

Just heard that hospitals in Guelph & KW are on redirect to as far north as Wiarton!

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
Speaking of buses, here is one stuck on the road in Kitchener.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to J E F F4

MVM

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

That type of snow I think would destroy Montreal too...

Sure. It would cause major issues in Montreal, the 45cm snow storm did too. Moving around effectively during such storms has as much to do with being smart about it as it does with the city being equipped to handle it. Montreal would be better able to deal with an 80cm single-day snowfall than most, but it would still cripple transport, and it would still take weeks to clear.

It depends on where you live, but my experience would be that moving on foot is slowed but possible (dress appropriately and you're fine), the metro will be completely unaffected, although much more crowded than usual, and commuter trains will suffer many large delays but still reliably get you there, unlike a bus or car (which might get stuck).

Really, the solution to moving in most cities during a snow storm would seem to be as simple as "stay off the roads, dummy"

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Montreal's Metro is entirely underground, right? I know there is a good chunk of the TTC above ground. Not sure how they deal with that.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to J E F F4

MVM

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Speaking of buses, here is one stuck on the road in Kitchener.

[att=1]

I remember watching a bus trying to go up this exit onto the overpass during a snowstorm once...

»maps.google.ca/?ll=45.44 ··· t=h&z=19

It's not obvious from this map, but the east/west road just north of the highway there is a fairly steep hill. The bus didn't have enough traction, so it would drive up the hill to st-johns, then slide back down the hill, then drive up the hill, then slide back down... Pity any other cars behind it each time it slid back down the hill...