join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to urbanriot

Re: [Weather] Special weather statements ON, NB, NS, NL

said by urbanriot:

said by resa1983:

Are the roads plowed out there?

Strangely a lot of side roads are even plowed, areas where you have to wait days during some storms to get past your driveway if you don't have a four wheeler. I think everyone in our area was ready for this.

Here in St. Catharines, it's really not what I would call 'bad' so the roads could remain unplowed and it would be rough but not terrible. We have a few puffy inches of snow...

Might be the difference then.. Looking out my window, none of the roads are plowed. On Bathurst near Steeles.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by urbanriot:

said by Robrr:

Oh look! An average snow day.

Yep, that's what it is here too. Schools are closed, I have friends that were sent home or work was cancelled... yet I've been to Fort Erie and back to St. Catharines, then Grimsby, now back in St. Catharines, and it's your average snowy winter day in Southern Ontario.

Maybe the snow monster is coming later today...

Are the roads plowed out there?

I traveled the 403/410 from Erin Mills in Mississauga to Queen St in Brampton.

I know the plows are out in full force but they aren't keeping up right now just due to how much snow is actually coming down. The roads are passable but you need to keep an eye on people just cause no one seems to know where the lanes are and are sort of all over the place.

On/off ramps were the worst just because of the big mound of snow that the plows leave in front of them as they go by. Just about every ramp I passed had at least one car stuck on it.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

Yea, it's coming down here but not like white-out coming down, just a steady snowing.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to loosedobbs

said by loosedobbs:

said by DKS:

MTO road conditions web site is getting hammered.

DKS, How bad is up there?
Its pretty much constant snow in Scarborough. Like 25-30 cm of snow here already. Lucky I cancelled NY trip.

Some places are good and some are bad.

»www.grey.ca/cameras/
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Husband finished work at 8am. Got home at 830. Turned into the driveway, and got stuck.

6 inches of snow in the driveway with ice underneath it, not plowed or salted. Can't get to the underground parking lot, because of the huge drift right beside key to get into the underground.

Note to self: Buy Resa an army-navy surplus flame thrower to thaw the driveway before hubby gets home.
(PS can be used for ghost hunting in the summer)
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to koira

Click for full size
Today marks the first day I've ever snowshoed to work...tiring but fun!

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

said by resa1983:

Husband finished work at 8am. Got home at 830. Turned into the driveway, and got stuck.

6 inches of snow in the driveway with ice underneath it, not plowed or salted. Can't get to the underground parking lot, because of the huge drift right beside key to get into the underground.

Note to self: Buy Resa an army-navy surplus flame thrower to thaw the driveway before hubby gets home.
(PS can be used for ghost hunting in the summer)

Our building management has done jack all today... The caretaker even tried telling me that the city had the responsibility of plowing our building's driveway.. Called him on his bs, and he said "It doesn't matter, its not getting cleared til the snow stops."

So now, who knows whether my husband will be able to get to work tonight for his midnight to noon shift.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

I have never done that. I have cross country skied to the beer store once.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to resa1983

Woo finally some big snow! i just blew about 20cm off the work parking lot and it looks like its gonna go for another couple hours at least...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to koira

My wife drove the girls to school and said it was quite bad out there. Very slippery and any hills were slow going for most. Still she got the girls there, went to Starbucks and brought me a Frappacino.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

Faxes???...What is this...1991? .

In a business ran predominantly by 50-70 year old men, yeah, it is still 1991 to them.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Gone:

said by nitzguy:

In a business ran predominantly by 50-70 year old men, yeah, it is still 1991 to them.

Back when I was in the trade show industry we tracked all sorts of data. We saw that registrations via email or website were always increasing except in one category: plumbers. We did registration for the plumbing trade show (I cannot remember the exact name or the association that ran it) but the majority of registrations by far came in via fax. This was 10 years ago now, but they were way behind everyone else. At the time fax machines were new to them
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to LazMan

That is just a dusting of snow. Lemme know when it's at least past half way up the door.

Not much there to see at all. I think you have premature snow anxiety.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to koira

As of 10 AM the official snowfall at the airport is 15 cm since yesterday afternoon when it started. I am sure I shovelled more than that before 8 am and I shovelled last night. A lot must have been drifting. Not a lot of wind (yet) but enough to move this very dry snow around.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

I think we got more than the 15cm forecasted: Took this shot between work (just now).

Keep in mind, I just got in from using the snow blower too...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to koira

Someone that works for Vaughan is in trouble.

»www.cp24.com/news/vaughan-delete···.1148441

“Everyone on my street has double gararges (sic)...who are these f---nuts who don't put their car in the garage when we get 2 feet of snow? #dumb,” said the tweet before it was deleted 90 minutes after it was shared on the micro-blogging website at 7:23 a.m.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to koira

Just in from blowing the driveway... I'm going to say 25-30cm down so far, deeper in drifts; and still falling pretty good.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to donoreo

Damn, Vaughan has deleted their account!

I however, feel that honesty is an excellent policy, sure swearing like that is wrong, but we could use honesty from the .gov once in a while.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Gone:

said by nitzguy:

Back when I was in the trade show industry we tracked all sorts of data. We saw that registrations via email or website were always increasing except in one category: plumbers. We did registration for the plumbing trade show (I cannot remember the exact name or the association that ran it) but the majority of registrations by far came in via fax. This was 10 years ago now, but they were way behind everyone else. At the time fax machines were new to them

Because of the requirement for original signatures on health records, faxes are still strong in the health care industry. The faxes have been flying all day in our house.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

Someone that works for Vaughan is in trouble.

»www.cp24.com/news/vaughan-delete···.1148441

“Everyone on my street has double gararges (sic)...who are these f---nuts who don't put their car in the garage when we get 2 feet of snow? #dumb,” said the tweet before it was deleted 90 minutes after it was shared on the micro-blogging website at 7:23 a.m.

Why don't they use the garage? 1) it's too small for an SUV and 2) it's full of crap.
--

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to donoreo

Click for full size
said by donoreo:

said by creed3020:

I have never done that. I have cross country skied to the beer store once.

I wish I had X-skis as it would have been faster. It was a helluva workout doing my regular 30 min walk with the snowshoes. It was more like 45 minutes today.

Robrr

Guelph, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Because of the requirement for original signatures on health records, faxes are still strong in the health care industry. The faxes have been flying all day in our house.

I am surprised. I would have expected a transition to scan to email tech for something like that given the quality is far superior to that of a fax.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Why don't they use the garage? 1) it's too small for an SUV and 2) it's full of crap.

I realized this fall, I screwed up when I built my house this summer...

I should have made the garage bigger... My wife's SUV fit's in one side; but it's JUST too small for my pickup on the other. A foot wider, and it would have been enough. A foot wider, and 3 feet deeper, would have been brilliant!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Robrr

said by Robrr:

said by DKS:

I am surprised. I would have expected a transition to scan to email tech for something like that given the quality is far superior to that of a fax.

Not if your e-mail gets hacked. I think fax will stay around for a long, long time. More secure. Recipient always gets the paper. We fax all the time. E-Mails were expected to be used, but the simply aren't reliable.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Robrr

said by Robrr:

said by DKS:

It is not quality but legality.
--

Robrr

Guelph, ON

said by DKS:

said by Robrr:

said by DKS:

I guess it is up to the company. Some of the companies I work with will not accept a fax for legal documentation. They will accept the scan up front to start the process and then the original paper afterward.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to koira

I got home after midnight last night and said.. so much for "snowmageddon", till I got up this morning.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to koira

11 AM official is 18 cm.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to koira

We've had over 10cm fall since 9AM this morning. Big thick heavy flakes. Absolutely crazy outside right now.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

There are several Ontario Ministries that accept scan and email as a way to legally send a signature. MOL is one of them. I just don't believe that MHLTC is one of them - yet, anyway.