All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rabu Rabu
join:2013-02-06

Rabu Rabu

Eastern Shore Maryland Packet dropping?

Hey guys, I'm experiencing a problem, at about 3am last night I was in a game of League of Legends, and I lost DNS connectivity for about 10 minutes, then it re-connected, however, when it did, I've been getting packet dropping, simply pinging Google, I can't even go a full 60 seconds without getting a time out. So I decided to ride down the road to my dad's business and ping Google there [completely different address in the same region] and it was showing the same problem. This packet dropping is detrimental to gaming, however I can do simple tasks like browsing, my Skype ability is also affected.

This happened before back in December, and it worked itself out in a few days, but I'm just curious as to what's going on
mschoene92
join:2010-06-30
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

I've been having trouble too out here on the Eastern Shore since late last night. I'm near Sudlersville. DSL is sync'd at nearly 3Mbps downstream and noise levels are the same as they've always been. But I've been getting a lot of timeouts and/or like 5-10 second pauses while a web page or a portion of a page loads.

beachguy
@verizon.net

beachguy to Rabu Rabu

Anon

to Rabu Rabu
Bad service here in Ocean City since yesterday.

Web browsing is hit or miss and anything involving upload or download of data (even jpg size files) is likely to time out.

It seems to be gradually getting worse.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Well it certainly is a relief to know I'm not the only one having this problem, so I can avoid being on a phone with someone that doesn't understand what the word "packet" means.

dmitch
@verizon.net

dmitch to Rabu Rabu

Anon

to Rabu Rabu
Same deal here. I'm in Caroline County @ 7Mbps. Cut out somewhere around 5 or 6 am. Been nearly two full days now. Called tech support and was told by an automated message there was some sort of outage in Salisbury, and I assume we're all taxing a reduced capacity. Really unimpressed by the response time.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Another day without any sign of the problem fixed it seems, my patience is starting to get a bit thin.
mschoene92
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

Yep, still having problems here too. I've never been impressed with Verizon's response to these things. If they had cable out here, I'd go with that in a heartbeat.
MiltonBanana
Queenstown, MD

MiltonBanana to Rabu Rabu

to Rabu Rabu
Hey All, Queenstown, MD here and we are having a very similar problem, it started yesterday about 10am and though we can surf the web, my outlook email keeps losing the connection to the exchange sever, Skype is basically unusable and it seems like it is dropping packets left and right.

We have verizon phone service but get our DSL through DSLExtreme, though they use the Verizon line. We are now being told it is a problem with the the "port" we are on and they (Verizon) are coming to the house tomorrow to change it. Doesn't really sound correct to me, but thought I would post to see if anyone else has heard anything or if you are still having issues.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Still happening for me, so I'm going to go ahead and say it's not your port.
dmitch
join:2013-02-07
Preston, MD

dmitch to Rabu Rabu

to Rabu Rabu
I used to keep telling myself that things will be fixed when I get up in the morning, or when I get home from work, or before I go to sleep. Now I just hope it'll be fixed for the baseball season. It's starting to get pitiful. Three full business days and nothing.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

It is getting pretty ridiculous, I can't begin to say I'm super competent in terms of network administration, but I'm beginning to think some of the individuals at Verizon aren't either. You'd think we'd be notified if there were such a huge problem.

Honestly, I think that's what's worse, rather than just sending out an automated phone call and telling everyone they'll be experiencing interruptions in service, we all have to sit here and not only figure out we have a problem on our own, we have to ask other people in the region with the same service. It's nonsense.

Poolgirl
@verizon.net

Poolgirl to Rabu Rabu

Anon

to Rabu Rabu
We are in the Bethany Beach DE area and service slowed down on the 6th and after calls to Verizon and a promise to call back we are still having spotty service. After speed test my download is 0.13 and upload 0.11.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Still nothing...

I'm really starting to lose faith in this even getting fixed at this point.
dmitch
Preston, MD

dmitch to Rabu Rabu

to Rabu Rabu
This is unbelievable. It is 5 in the morning, 72 hours after the problem started, and the symptoms are the worst they have been. For a problem that is seemingly affecting most of the Eastern Shore, if not all of Delmarva (anyone whose traffic is routed through Salisbury), there doesn't seem to be any urgency in returning service to normal. If I was this poor at my job I'd be absolutely ashamed.

But I know our bills will come on time. Can't say the same for this comment. How many times will the connection time out before it posts?

moomoo
@verizon.net

moomoo

Anon

Yea, I am in Preston / caroline county MD and its dropping packets like crazy. been going on for a while now. Did a factory reset and a few power cycles each day as i got home to keep my modem synced but no dice. Man this is absolutely horrible for gaming, I hop it gets fixed soon
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Still nothing, as of 1:00PM, even when this all gets fixed I'm really keen to know what exactly this was and why it took so long to fix.

Personally I think they're taking their time because we're all "Connected" so they think maybe we wouldn't have noticed.
mschoene92
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

I'm in a chat with Verizon right now lodging my complaints. At least, that is what I will do if it doesn't time out on me.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

I should have done that before, if you learn anything, do tell us.
mschoene92
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

Well, Verizon hopes to have this fixed tonight by 8PM EST. They said, "There is currently a piece of central office equipment down in Salisbury, MD that will affect your ability to access the Internet. Engineers are currently working towards a resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." I guess we'll see how that goes.

Of course, to get that estimate and explanation, I had to explain multiple times that it wasn't a simple case of needing to turn my modem off and on again and that several acquaintances from various counties started having this same problem at pretty much the exact same time.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Oh goodness. I actually have something to look forward to today.

I appreciate your contribution, sir.
mschoene92
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

Not a problem. Today was the first day I could access (barely) the Verizon chat service or I would have done it sooner. I probably should have went the phone route, but I've spent enough hours on hold with them this past summer and fall trying to resolve two other issues to last me quite a while.
Rabu Rabu

Rabu Rabu

Seems like it's back to normal for me now, Jeez, it took long enough.
dmitch
Preston, MD

dmitch to Rabu Rabu

to Rabu Rabu
Yeah, knock on wood, but it's been better here for about the past hour. Didn't even have to reconnect or power cycle. Only took 3 and a half days. Now to wait until whatever they replaced blows up too.
mschoene92
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

Seems back to normal for me too.
dmitch
Preston, MD

1 edit

dmitch to Rabu Rabu

to Rabu Rabu
It just happened again. One day. Way to go Verizon, setting new records for futility.

Edit - Just got done chatting with "Cherry" who says there is an issue due to an outage, and it will be fixed in 24-48 hours. I'll believe it when I see it.
Rabu Rabu

1 edit

Rabu Rabu

Wow... I'm really speechless at this point. It's happening again here too.
Honestly though, I sorta assumed this would happen, as every new piece of hardware does need configuring, If that's all they're doing it's alright I guess, browsing seems a lot more possible than before, I'm not getting many interruptions in service, aside from inability to play online games.

moomoo
@verizon.net

moomoo

Anon

said by Rabu Rabu:

Wow... I'm really speechless at this point. It's happening again here too.
Honestly though, I sorta assumed this would happen, as every new piece of hardware does need configuring, If that's all they're doing it's alright I guess, browsing seems a lot more possible than before, I'm not getting many interruptions in service, aside from inability to play online games.

yea i hear ya. it was working last night fine for online games but today it decided to crap out and revert back to what was happening a few days ago. humpph.... back to lan party i guess
mschoene92
Sudlersville, MD

mschoene92

Things really slowed down this morning for me. This afternoon has been alright, no packet loss, although latency is like 20% higher than usual.
dmitch
Preston, MD

dmitch to Rabu Rabu

to Rabu Rabu
Yeah, it seems better now. Can't say when exactly since I just got up from a nap. Hopefully they've got their crap together and this is the end of it; I'd really rather not have to deal with this happening every other day.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

1 edit

tim_k to Rabu Rabu

Premium Member

to Rabu Rabu
Salisbury issue should be fixed now. Let me know if it isn't.

Opps, spoke too soon. Still in progress.