share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Microsoft/Symantec disrupt cybercrime ring

MS/Symantec disrupt botnet by shutting down the servers that control the botnet.

»www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/···20130206

Software makers Microsoft Corp and Symantec Corp said they disrupted a global cyber crime operation by shutting down servers that controlled hundreds of thousands of PCs without the knowledge of their users.

The move made it temporarily impossible for infected PCs around the world to search the web, though the companies offered free tools to clean machines through messages that were automatically pushed out to infected computers.

Technicians working on behalf of both companies raided data centers in Weehawken, New Jersey, and Manassas, Virginia, on Wednesday, accompanied by U.S. federal marshals, under an order issued by the U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia.

They seized control of one server at the New Jersey facility and persuaded the operators of the Virginia data center to take down a server at their parent company in the Netherlands,

operation had succeeded in bringing down the cyber crime operation, known as the Bamital botnet.

Microsoft and Symantec estimate are between 300,000 and 600,000 PCs currently infected with malicious software that enslaved them into the botnet.

The companies said that the Bamital operation hijacked search results and engaged in other schemes that the companies said fraudulently charge businesses for online advertisement clicks.

Now that the servers have been shut down, users of infected PCs will be directed to a site informing them that their machines are infected with malicious software when they attempt to search the web.

Microsoft and Symantec are offering them free tools to fix their PCs and restore access to web searches via messages automatically pushed out to victims.

The messages warn: "You have reached this website because your computer is very likely to be infected by malware that redirects the results of your search queries. You will receive this notification until you remove the malware from your computer."

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit

1 recommendation

Also:
• »www.technologyspectator.com.au/s···e-racket
• »blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_bl···hes.aspx
• »arstechnica.com/security/2013/02···ymantec/
• »twitter.com/MSFTnews/status/2993···91602432

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to FFH

The companies said that the Bamital operation hijacked search results and engaged in other schemes that the companies said fraudulently charge businesses for online advertisement clicks.

The horrors of click fraud!
With all the annoyances of distracting ads, popups, etc... I oftentimes feel an urge to root the fraudsters on.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

Click fraud defined (Wiki article has multiple issues)
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_fraud

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

The horrors of click fraud!
With all the annoyances of distracting ads, popups, etc... I oftentimes feel an urge to root the fraudsters on.

Don't whitewash these scum criminals. That was only part of their criminal activities:

Bamital's organizers also had the ability to take control of infected PCs, installing other types of computer viruses that could engage in identity theft, recruit PCs into networks that attack websites and conduct other types of computer crimes.

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

said by FFH:

Don't whitewash these scum criminals.

LOL
I don't whitewash online miscreants - I wax'em.

EDIT to add: I hadn't realized this was in reply to the thread starter.
It wasn't a dump on the thread, just a misunderstood attempt at humor.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Another article about this: »news.yahoo.com/exclusive-softwar···z;_ylv=3