share rss forum feed

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

New Xbox Always Online, Game Activation Code Rumors

»www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/395867···es-rumor

Joy. Well, if both Microsoft and Sony go that route, then I won't have to worry about budgeting for either of them.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

So if my kid wants to take his game over to his friends, he's SOL.

Guess consoles are out of the question in my near future.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to danawhitaker

You can guaran-damn-tee that there will be some enterprising hackers/modders who will see to it to find a way to break such DRM systems if they are indeed the case. The fact that it's on a console doesn't mean much in that regard. However, such unfriendly DRM will motivate those who feel it is in their ethical mandate to go do so.

Many PC titles that are released with such draconian DRM are usually patched/hacked or successfully pirate-able within a week of release... or even "going gold." All such DRM will do is piss off paying customers.

Another thing that was brought up was about how sales on Steam seem to be alluded to as a way of making such a system work. Well, the reason that it works, is because at least on PC and Mac, most any (r)etailer will not accept a return of a game that doesn't work under any circumstance, and the ability to really resell such a thing has been mostly killed off well before Steam entered the arena. But the sales and deep discounts Steam offers should be an example of how the console makers could actually motivate people to adopt digital download purchases if that's the route they want to go.

But the problem is, neither Sony, Microsoft nor Nintendo will ever do it. I most recently ended up buying Paper Mario on 3DS because it was a game I wanted, and Nintendo was offering an additional bonus at the time for buying the download version. However, they would not cut any kind of price break for getting it on download instead. And to date, they've yet to offer any games for any kind of discounted rate. WiiU might have some "discounted" rates for downloaded VC games right now, but said discounts only apply if you already owned the Wii version of said download game in question. Even that grossly cheapens the effect. Now, if it were possible to actually purchase download copies of a game for a significant cost savings vs. retail and having more 'friendly' DRM (say, like steam where it only matters what account is logged in to play it), then I would expect to see digital downloads for consoles and handhelds actually start to gain momentum.

But that being said, I also am on the camp that if I can get a physical copy, I should be able to resell it, play it at a friend's place or trade it in. The developers have already got their money when it was purchased new. Why gripe on us now?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to danawhitaker

This might be the final nail for Gamestop.

said by C0deZer0:

You can guaran-damn-tee that there will be some enterprising hackers/modders who will see to it to find a way to break such DRM systems if they are indeed the case. The fact that it's on a console doesn't mean much in that regard. However, such unfriendly DRM will motivate those who feel it is in their ethical mandate to go do so.

No doubt. But it will stop the general public and that is all that wil really matter.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to danawhitaker

The rumors have impacted Gamestop's stock prices.

Gamestop may end up pretty much like Radio Shack. Meaning lots of stuff to sell, but no one to sell it to.

This could hurt them in the long run. As some internet providers have caps on how much you can down load per month. As well as the fact that there is still a few million homes without broadband internet service.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to C0deZer0

I was reading that the "blame" for this lays at the feet of smart phones and tablets, and Steam.

Meaning people are getting used to buying an App, and not being able to trade it in. But the difference is that few apps cost 60 bucks a pop.
I think the most I spent on an app was 20 bucks, and it wasn't a game. Heck, I think the most I spent on a game app was 10 bucks.

I don't mind digital downloads, as long as I can re-download the app onto a new device, when I migrate from the old one.

But if I am going to shell out 30 plus bucks for a game, I better get a chance to test drive it before I buy it.
I've paid 60 bucks for games that sucked, or had a short play time, before you had to buy DL content.
So besides gamestop, this will also impact game rental companies like Gamefly and Blockbuster. Though Gamefly has started a digital [PC only] rental service. Not sure how good it is.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to danawhitaker

I love steam for several reasons, being an always on DRM isn't one. The reason I love steam though is because:

1. huge sales
2. I have a guaranteed backup of all of my games
3. steam has almost always maxed my internet connection for downloads

It is basically equivalent to me buying used because the sales are so cheap and with the speed of downloading it is sometimes faster than going to the local gamestop/bestbuy.

Always on DRM for physical disks is basically the worst of both worlds. Expensive purchase (due to realities of shipping you will never find a bluray game priced at 3 dollars), no backup in case of damaged disk and of course no backup in case of damaged disk. I see this as potentially being the biggest boost to PC gaming yet.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to danawhitaker

A few loud people will bitch but most won't care. I don't care, if my son wants to play the game at his friends he can just take the hard drive with him...
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

said by Silvanos:

A few loud people will bitch but most won't care. I don't care, if my son wants to play the game at his friends he can just take the hard drive with him...

Well, it does sound like this might be a case of where the whole console will have to be brought along instead of just the hard drive (or flash drive).
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to danawhitaker

I can totally see it happening. Sure some of the gamers may get mad and not buy it, but the majority of "gamers" are far too lazy to be bothered to care or will still buy it because muh halo and cawwadooty.

Its sad though, they are trying to copy pcs but only the bad parts. I don't expect any sales like steam has, nor the faster reduced pricing on a lot of games they sell. Download on to any pc that can play them sign in an play. Nope don't copy the good stuff only the bad(drm) stuff. ugh, this is why I only have nintendo not perfect but better than MS or sony.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 edit
reply to C0deZer0

said by C0deZer0:

said by Silvanos:

Well, it does sound like this might be a case of where the whole console will have to be brought along instead of just the hard drive (or flash drive).

Not only that, but the whole console would then also have to be able to get internet access. I wouldn't want my daughter's friends dragging their consoles over and asking me to allow them onto my wireless network access list.

Edit: Oh well lookie there, I'm playing Angry Birds Trilogy and got disconnected from Live because Live itself went down. Wouldn't you love it if you couldn't play your single-player offline games because *Microsoft* screwed up? Luckily, the only thing I can't do right now is submit my high scores.

biohazard326

join:2005-05-28
Romulus, MI

yeah i know, you said it went down just as my Halo 4 match went PLINK and my entire scoring for the match down the tubes. this right here shows a fairly large issue for "always online" game consoles. what if YOU are online but the gaming servers are not (like this case)? then what? you have a $400 paperweight until the servers come up? what if there is another sony ps3 type issue where the servers are down for LONG periods of time? then what? you cant play the console? this is TERRIBLE idea all around with so many glaring issues that its not even funny

said by danawhitaker:

Luckily, the only thing I can't do right now is submit my high scores.

lucky you, i cant even start any matches cause it says XBL is not connected

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to danawhitaker

Mine came back up after about 15 minutes, but what I discovered when I was done for the night and checking my worldwide rankings for the levels and overall, is that the scores I got while I was disconnected never synched up properly. In order to get the ranking list to recognize my scores, I had to redo all those levels. Now, not all of that is Live's fault I'm sure, and has to do with the way that Angry Birds Trilogy handles its communication and synching with the system as well. But it goes to illustrate the frustrations that come from so much stuff being tied into online components and just how much worse it could be. I'd be darn mad if Live went down and I wouldn't have been able to even play the game - though considering that it didn't synch the scores properly, and part of the reason I'm playing is to see how high I can go in the worldwide rankings, I might as well have *not* played during the time that it was down anyway.

Biohazard, I had completely forgotten about the PSN outage since I don't have a PS3. That was 24 days. And, to anyone who wants to refute that by saying that if they required an always-on connection to PSN in order for any games to function they wouldn't shut it off for that long, just ask anyone who was playing Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, or DC Universe at the time how much fun that was. Sure, they got compensation after the fact, but that's not the point. Sony didn't hesitate to pull the plug on everything for almost a full month, whether you were paying subscriber or not, and that included games that require an always-on connection in order to function. Breaches can and will continue to happen in the future, and honestly, how many of you would be satisfied if the next-gen consoles ran into the same problems, but instead your entire console was basically bricked for 24 days instead of just unable to play online matches or use the online components of games that otherwise wouldn't need to be online? If I pay $350+ for a console, and another $60 for a game, it would be unacceptable to be locked out of playing that game by myself at home for almost a month because someone hacked into a network that I didn't even need to be using to play that game.
--

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

This might be the final nail for Gamestop.

Gamestop could stay alive by just riding the retro-game trend that's gotten big in recent years. They've already started in some stores.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Considering gamestop here won't even bother carry GBA games anymore, and instead started favoring tablets and *cough* leapfrogs instead...

I'll be among the first to dance upon their grave.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I'll be #2 in line then. Sure I pre-order my pokemon games from them cause they usually have pre-order extras, but they dont carry gba/c or anything older than the gcn any more, no n64, (s)nes, no genesis, no nothing! Instead I go to vintage stock now(seriously its like nerd heaven anime/manga/comics/90's cartoons/classic movies/ posters/ EVERY console has games used games sold there, maybe not the ps4/720 since they wont allow them it looks like) 5 minutes up the road. Game stop is past their prime, its sad to say but its likely time for them to be replaced preferably by vintage stock.

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
reply to C0deZer0

said by C0deZer0:

Considering gamestop here won't even bother carry GBA games anymore, and instead started favoring tablets and *cough* leapfrogs instead...

Well, you know, those GBA carts take up so much space.
--

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

I can totally see it happening. Sure some of the gamers may get mad and not buy it, but the majority of "gamers" are far too lazy to be bothered to care or will still buy it because muh halo and cawwadooty.

Its sad though, they are trying to copy pcs but only the bad parts. I don't expect any sales like steam has, nor the faster reduced pricing on a lot of games they sell. Download on to any pc that can play them sign in an play. Nope don't copy the good stuff only the bad(drm) stuff. ugh, this is why I only have nintendo not perfect but better than MS or sony.

There there; point to where the xbox touched you.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to Weirdal

said by Weirdal:

said by C0deZer0:

Well, you know, those GBA carts take up so much space.

What takes up more space? A standard GBA with cartridge in the slot that would get sold to the right buyer, or a leapfrog that nobody is coming into your store expecting to see, much less looking to buy?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

My gamestop doesn't have a leapfrog, I feel behind the times.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

I'm surprised any of them still carry used PS2's still, considering that Sony wants them (and us) to forget that generation ever existed.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Sony wants to forget their greatest generation existed? Esta loca! Que el infierno!? Sony esta estupido.

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
reply to C0deZer0

I was being sarcastic, because GBA games are tiny.
--

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by Weirdal:

I was being sarcastic, because GBA games are tiny.

Not as tiny as the itsy-bitsy DS games that freak me out. I don't even want to let my daughter touch hers, I still remember a cousin's kid losing one inside a sofa one Christmas and having a meltdown. Whenever she has her 3DS case open I methodically come by and count the games every 20 minutes or so to make sure none have disappeared.

With GBA games, I'd actually assume it might be a matter of lack of stock more than anything. I'd guess that fewer people are trading them in at this point, so there are fewer for them to resell without taking them from one store and shipping them around elsewhere.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I've lost gbc games before, you can lose anything man.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to danawhitaker

My Gamestop doesn't carry anything other than this generation for consoles. They are really taking a hit because of it. There is a locally owned store 3 stores down from them that carries anything they can get their hands on.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the local store is doing exponentially better.