how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

[FireFox] browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion in Firefox

What do the version numbers in browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion mean? I can find no explanation. If the value is 0, I know that Bookmarks will have the folders for most viewed and most recent, but what about the others (up to 4)? I had the value change to 1 after I removed those folders (back in FF 3), and copied that into user.js from prefs.js, but now the value is 4, even though I did not change the value in user.js. There is nothing wrong with the user.js file, so how does the value change to 4, and what does the 4 mean?

I checked FF 3.6.28 in my old laptop, and its setting for browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion is 2. That user.js file was originally in that computer, so that was the origin of that setting of version 1 in this one. There is nothing wrong with user.js in the older computer either. What does the 2 mean?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

From the source code in nsBrowserGlue.js

* - browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion
   *   Set during HTML import to indicate that Smart Bookmarks were created.
   *   Set to -1 to disable Smart Bookmarks creation.
   *   Set to 0 to restore current Smart Bookmarks.

--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Curiosity

Dawson Creek, BC

OK, but what about 2, 3, or 4? It cannot be just during HTML bookmark import, since I have not done that for quite a while. I do export the bookmarks as HTML, but just for backup or transfer to another browser. Has the format of the smart bookmarks changed several times?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 edit

It has nothing to do with bookmarks importing or exporting.

It's about Smart Bookmarks. That 4 is simply the version of Smart Bookmarks, nothing more. You won't see 1, 2 or 3 unless you have an older version of Firefox.

What are Smart Bookmarks? Recently Bookmarked, Recent Tags and Most Visited are the default ones.

Setting the value to -1 disables Smart Bookmarks, setting the value to zero restores the default set.

More information about Smart Bookmarks

CyberNotes: Create Your Own Smart Bookmarks in Firefox 3
I know is says Fx 3, it is still applicable. That is how long Smart Bookmarks have been around.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Curiosity

Dawson Creek, BC

The folders never came back after I removed them, but setting the value to -1 results in its staying that way. Thanks for the info.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines

If you set that value to 0, it will restore the default set, Recently Bookmarked, Recent Tags and Most Visited. A restart of Firefox is required for the change to take affect.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Curiosity

Dawson Creek, BC

I do not want to restore those folders. I am happier with them gone.