share rss forum feed

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Anonnn

Re: [Cable] Thomson Thomson dcm425

Actually, you can easily get a usb or thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

Anonnn

@teksavvy.com
I see, ok!

My apology, I didn't want to make the post long so I didn't include that I do currently have a router (wireless ofc).

But through modem directly to air/etc there is a benefit of full internet speed which is what I'm looking for. I could use ethernet connecting for my other device but we are talking about air, apple, limited "stuff".

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
said by Anonnn :

But through modem directly to air/etc there is a benefit of full internet speed which is what I'm looking for. I could use ethernet connecting for my other device but we are talking about air, apple, limited "stuff".

That all depends on the line speed that you're running, and how much networking between the two computers you want to do. If you are only looking for general internet usage, but not necessarily transferring massive amounts of data across between your computers, a 54Mbit Wireless G connection even is more than sufficient for a lower package like an 8Mbit internet connection.

If you're running anything higher than that, in reality a "Fast Ethernet" (10/100) connection at the very least combined with at least a 150Mbit Wireless N may be a bit of a better way to go... Ultimately, the choice is best defined by what your needs for the internal networking functions will be, and the kind of potential for "power" that you want to be able to push through it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Anonnn
said by Anonnn :

But through modem directly to air/etc there is a benefit of full internet speed which is what I'm looking for.

The USB port on the DCM425 is spec'd at USB1.1, so the speed will not be very good at all. A USB 3 to Ethernet, or Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter will be much better.
--
electronicsguru.ca