Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap

Re: Chicago Tribune Gives Canada a Shout Out

said by FaxCap:

Gee....nowhere in DKS's post or the article did I see Toronto mentioned.
Canada yes, Toronto no.

What's your point, FaxCap? Toronto and Chicago have had close ties between each other for a very long time. Hell, their geography is even similar. The fact that Chicago likes Canada is not surprising considering that they have always had a very close relationship with Toronto.

In case you didn't know, Toronto is a Canadian city and will continue to be no matter how much that may tick you or anyone else off.
(Likewise, BC isn't always the first thing that comes to an American's mind when they think of Canada, either)

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Gone:

What's your point, FaxCap?

Did I need a "point"?

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Don't worry, your point is obvious enough that I already figured it out for myself.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Not only is Toronto a Canadian city, it's probably the most typically Canadian of all our major cities -- diverse, tolerant, and with a balance of business and entertainment. Montreal is wonderful but for many reasons is totally unique, Vancouver is afflicted by whatever is trapped in the air between the Rockies and the Pacific that makes them the way they are, and most other cities just reflect regional characteristics, the way Saskatoon will always be Prairie Town and Calgary, Oil Town.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Wolfie00:

Vancouver is afflicted by whatever is trapped in the air between the Rockies and the Pacific that makes them the way they are

If I was in my early 20's would I stay in Vancouver? Hell no....I'd be
off to Alberta fast. More corporate head offices in Calgary than
Toronto.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

More corporate head offices in Calgary than
Toronto.

Bzzzt wrong. There were 163 in Toronto in 2011, and only 81 in Calgary. 33% of all Canadian corporate HQs are in Toronto.

»www.fraserinstitute.org/ ··· 2013.pdf

(Granted, Calgary has more per person, but that hasn't changed in the last 20+ years either)

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Not only that, but almost three-quarters of Calgary's head offices are energy companies, mostly oil and gas. Toronto not only has twice as many corporate head offices, but they are more diversified.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

Yup, and this is also the reason why the number of HQs in Calgary climbed dramatically in the last ten or so years, as that's when the price of oil - and in turn, the value of the tar sands - increased.