lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to creativedog

Premium Member

to creativedog

Re: What to check for a tiny leak in a 18month old washer?

said by creativedog:

there was a small (1/4 cup) amount of water under the unit today...the hoses are fine and they arent leaking at all (stainless steel). What else should I check?

Just a hunch. On some washer models, there is a separate valve and small plastic hose to dissolve the detergent. That could be leaking but you will need to open the top to check it.

creativedog
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

Open the top as in remove screws and remove the assembly or open the lid?
creativedog

creativedog to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Interesting findings tonight...after my wife ran a load earlier and told me about it I came here....After the comments here I went snooping with a light. Had her hold the washer on it's side and it appeared to have water droplets slung down the back left corner...It's near where all of the hoses join. Check all hoses into the elbows and everything....all snug. In fact, it looks spotless in there (it is only 18 months old). I started a light load of wash and noticed that it appeared to sling water around the inside square enclosure of the washer (which is obviously exposed to the ground).....no hoses are loose, the load ran fine but that little bit of water still came out of the bottom...see pics above....I dont mind making a service call but wasn't sure if there was anything else to check.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to creativedog

Premium Member

to creativedog
said by creativedog:

The manual (and youtube videos) will show how easy it is to remove the control panel cover and tilt the whole front cover of the washer to expose the guts. It is actually not that difficult because I did it once and I am a total kludge when it comes to fixing mechanical stuff.

However, please check for simple condensation as leibold See Profile suggested first and if that is not the root cause, then proceed to the colored water test before opening the cover.

For the color test, if leaked water is still clear, and there is no wetness around main hose, it is most likely that valve/hose for dissolving detergent.

*** I did not see your photos before writing this reply. You should definitely do the color test and check if the water droplets on the washer body are clear or colored.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to creativedog

to creativedog
said by creativedog:

I started a light load of wash and noticed that it appeared to sling water around the inside square enclosure of the washer (which is obviously exposed to the ground).....no hoses are loose, the load ran fine but that little bit of water still came out of the bottom

Check the exploded parts diagram for the location of the anti-siphon aka vacuum breaker. I just had a similar issue with my ancient Maytag ... nuisance water dripping but no great threat. It was a $10 part.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
I guess I am confused with the water test....the inside back of the enclosure is wet with droplets...not just one area....Based on what I see the only thing colored water would do is to give better visibility on the water that I already know exists...
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by creativedog:

only thing colored water would do is to give better visibility on the water that I already know exists...

If the water droplets are still clear, you know some valve/fitting/hose that distribute incoming clear water to the detergent basket or top of washer drum is leaking.

If the water droplets are colored, some valve/fitting/hose on the water exit path near the bottom is leaking. It is also possible that some colored water is spraying out from top of drum during rapid spinning.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

Thanks. Seems odd that water would get thrown around the outer part of the tub as it's totally exposed through the enclosure to the ground. I'll give this a shot. Thanks.
creativedog

creativedog to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
So check this out.....attempting the food color test and before I can even get the tub filled up I notice something...When the water is coming into the basket it looks like it's hitting the spinning top part...water is definitely going behind it...question is, is there an enclosed section around the basket that the extra runoff water goes to?

»www.darylwatkins.com/washer.MOV

Last question, when putting the food coloring in do I put it in the fill, wash, rinse or spin? It's a HE washer so the tub never actually fills and surrounds the clothes.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

said by creativedog:

there was a small (1/4 cup) amount of water under the unit today...the hoses are fine and they arent leaking at all (stainless steel). What else should I check?

Just a hunch. On some washer models, there is a separate valve and small plastic hose to dissolve the detergent. That could be leaking but you will need to open the top to check it.

it could be clogged too, don't know your specific model, but, on my Duet, the detergent drawer pulls out, and it is easy enough to clean it.
robxr4ti
join:2007-10-03
Audubon, NJ

robxr4ti to lutful

to lutful
said by lutful:

said by creativedog:

The manual (and youtube videos) will show how easy it is to remove the control panel cover and tilt the whole front cover of the washer to expose the guts. It is actually not that difficult because I did it once and I am a total kludge when it comes to fixing mechanical stuff.

It's the putting it all back together part that doesn't quite work out

HPC
@comcast.net

HPC to creativedog

Anon

to creativedog
said by creativedog:

When the water is coming into the basket it looks like it's hitting the spinning top part...water is definitely going behind it...question is, is there an enclosed section around the basket that the extra runoff water goes to?

Don't have your exact model but did have the same problem. Turned out to be a leak where the hot and cold inlet hoses meet at the mixing valve (just before the chute that fills the tub)... the hot was dripping on the top edge of the tub and when the tub would spin, would throw water against the inside of the enclosure and drip onto the floor. Discovered when I noticed 'cold water washes' had no leak, while 'hot water washes' had a small puddle under the washer. Just food for thought.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
Just watched an entire fill, wash and rinse cycle....I put blue water in just as it finished filling. Never saw any blue water. The only time water came of the bottom of the washer was during the rinse cycle. The washer gushed water into both the bleach dispenser (which there was none in) and the fabric softener dispenser (also didnt have any in). As it shot water into it both of them seemed to overflow and that's when the water came out of both bottom corners of the washer....now what?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by creativedog:

The washer gushed water into both the bleach dispenser (which there was none in) and the fabric softener dispenser (also didnt have any in). As it shot water into it both of them seemed to overflow and that's when the water came out of both bottom corners of the washer....now what?

You could rotate the water supply valves to reduce the pressure.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

hmmm...not a bad idea at all...it would reduce the overall pressure right? not just coming into the bleach and softener bins.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I scanned through the thread and didn't see a model number. Did or could you post it?

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

said by robbin:

I scanned through the thread and didn't see a model number. Did or could you post it?

Sure...guess that would help....MVWB850YW0. Thanks.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

2 edits

robbin

Mod

Post some pics of the top of the dispensers that are leaking. From looking at the parts diagrams it appears that these dispensers are open top. If they overflow they should just drain into the tub. My guess is that they are loose or that they should be sealed to the inside top of the washer.

Parts diagram

»c.searspartsdirect.com/l ··· 0001.png

Parts list

»www.searspartsdirect.com ··· 63/00001

It appears that you are talking about some combination of parts 21 - 26. What I can't tell from the diagram is how they install and what type of seal should be keeping them from leaking through the cutouts of the part #2 top of washer.

[edit] it wouldn't hurt to take one of those dispensers back out and take a few pics from different angles and post them.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

You could rotate the water supply valves to reduce the pressure.

This was it! Service came out and there was nothing wrong with the washer....the pressure was too much. Turned it down a bit and all is well. Thanks.