uniqs

creativedog
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA

creativedog to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful

Re: What to check for a tiny leak in a 18month old washer?

Open the top as in remove screws and remove the assembly or open the lid?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful

Premium Member

said by creativedog:

The manual (and youtube videos) will show how easy it is to remove the control panel cover and tilt the whole front cover of the washer to expose the guts. It is actually not that difficult because I did it once and I am a total kludge when it comes to fixing mechanical stuff.

However, please check for simple condensation as leibold See Profile suggested first and if that is not the root cause, then proceed to the colored water test before opening the cover.

For the color test, if leaked water is still clear, and there is no wetness around main hose, it is most likely that valve/hose for dissolving detergent.

*** I did not see your photos before writing this reply. You should definitely do the color test and check if the water droplets on the washer body are clear or colored.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

I guess I am confused with the water test....the inside back of the enclosure is wet with droplets...not just one area....Based on what I see the only thing colored water would do is to give better visibility on the water that I already know exists...
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by creativedog:

only thing colored water would do is to give better visibility on the water that I already know exists...

If the water droplets are still clear, you know some valve/fitting/hose that distribute incoming clear water to the detergent basket or top of washer drum is leaking.

If the water droplets are colored, some valve/fitting/hose on the water exit path near the bottom is leaking. It is also possible that some colored water is spraying out from top of drum during rapid spinning.

creativedog
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

Thanks. Seems odd that water would get thrown around the outer part of the tub as it's totally exposed through the enclosure to the ground. I'll give this a shot. Thanks.
creativedog

creativedog to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
So check this out.....attempting the food color test and before I can even get the tub filled up I notice something...When the water is coming into the basket it looks like it's hitting the spinning top part...water is definitely going behind it...question is, is there an enclosed section around the basket that the extra runoff water goes to?

»www.darylwatkins.com/washer.MOV

Last question, when putting the food coloring in do I put it in the fill, wash, rinse or spin? It's a HE washer so the tub never actually fills and surrounds the clothes.
robxr4ti
join:2007-10-03
Audubon, NJ

robxr4ti to lutful

to lutful
said by lutful:

said by creativedog:

The manual (and youtube videos) will show how easy it is to remove the control panel cover and tilt the whole front cover of the washer to expose the guts. It is actually not that difficult because I did it once and I am a total kludge when it comes to fixing mechanical stuff.

It's the putting it all back together part that doesn't quite work out

HPC
@comcast.net

HPC to creativedog

Anon

to creativedog
said by creativedog:

When the water is coming into the basket it looks like it's hitting the spinning top part...water is definitely going behind it...question is, is there an enclosed section around the basket that the extra runoff water goes to?

Don't have your exact model but did have the same problem. Turned out to be a leak where the hot and cold inlet hoses meet at the mixing valve (just before the chute that fills the tub)... the hot was dripping on the top edge of the tub and when the tub would spin, would throw water against the inside of the enclosure and drip onto the floor. Discovered when I noticed 'cold water washes' had no leak, while 'hot water washes' had a small puddle under the washer. Just food for thought.