how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Google Fiber

Who would like Intern net with speeds of upto 1gbit down and 1gbit up for say oh I dont know only 70 dollars a month?

We need to Get Google Fiber to set up shop in Canada and save us from the clutches of the Tyrants known as Telus, Shaw Bell and Rogers who show no signs what so ever of caring for its customers.

Shaw offers 250/25 for 200 dollars a month unlimited and what Google is offering would only be 70 dollars for much faster speeds and it is unlimited

Sure the big guys in Canada will whine and claim foreign ownership rules would prevent this and Google would Hurt Canadian content and Canadian companies.

We need to start a nation wide petition to get the Canadian Goverment to do the right thing for a change and we need to petition Google to come up with a plan for Canada.

The majority of the Canadian population is centered in Cities right across Canada pretty much in a straight line almost all the way expect for a few places but it shouldn't be too hard to start laying Fiber to the pole or home. Cant be that expensive either considering Google claims it costs 300 bucks to hook a customer up to the fiber grid.

»fiber.google.com

MJB

join:2012-01-29
agree

MJB

join:2012-01-29
good to start in Kitchener—Waterloo where google's offices are located in canada

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by MJB:

good to start in Kitchener—Waterloo where google's offices are located in canada

"Google's offices in Canada" are located in three cities in two provinces, not (simply) Waterloo.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to DanteX
WIND Mobile is foreign owned.
A bit of hope there?

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to DanteX
WIND is on life support. It's not fair to expect them to offer anything except wireless until they put their money in their mouth at the 700MHz auction.

The big 3 on the other hand, are probably going to build FTTH to Canadians before Google ever thinks of it. Look at Bell, they are pulling out copper now and replacing it with fiber because its less expensive and lasts 100 years instead of 30. In 15 years at least half of Canada will have FTTH. And by that time 10Gbit will be standard. Management will change, like it always does, and there will be more competition around, so the prices will come down too.

--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by BliZZardX:

WIND is on life support. It's not fair to expect them to offer anything except wireless until they put their money in their mouth at the 700MHz auction.

The big 3 on the other hand, are probably going to build FTTH to Canadians before Google ever thinks of it. Look at Bell, they are pulling out copper now and replacing it with fiber because its less expensive and lasts 100 years instead of 30. In 15 years at least half of Canada will have FTTH. And by that time 10Gbit will be standard. Management will change, like it always does, and there will be more competition around, so the prices will come down too.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, how exactly is WIND on life support?

They're currently sitting pretty with around 600,000 subscribers. Have they plateaued at the moment? I'm sure they have however, I don't see adding 200,000 subscribers over a year as being on "life support".

I doubt WIND is going anywhere anytime soon.
--
Weeeeeee

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
said by nekkidtruth:

said by BliZZardX:

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, how exactly is WIND on life support?

They're currently sitting pretty with around 600,000 subscribers. Have they plateaued at the moment? I'm sure they have however, I don't see adding 200,000 subscribers over a year as being on "life support".

I doubt WIND is going anywhere anytime soon.

they are primed to be bought out by rogers

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to nekkidtruth
Their projection was 1.5 million subscribers by the end of 2012. They did not meet their target. Since launch they had aggressive price competition from Mobilicity and most people are suspicious of Wind and Mobi because of the small handset selection, many reviews about the bad network (speed/coverage) and bad customer service. There has been a management shakeup, the Canadian CEO was asked to step down a few weeks ago, Globalive is pulling out and Orascom is bringing their own people in. Since then Wind re-priced their plans for the 3rd or 4th time. I think they are struggling to keep up the momentum.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

damacu

join:2012-07-18
reply to DanteX
This is a great idea, but I don't know if Kansas City is ready to annex the entire country of Canada.

do_it

@cogeco.net
reply to BliZZardX
If Google can run km's of fiber through big city's like Hamilton/Mississauga and the GTA core and offer it for $70/mnth power to them.

Their ROI for doing that much work and running that much fiber will take far to many years in my eyes.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to DanteX
If google starts offering fiber in Canada, I bet Bell will apply for TPIA... lol

DanteX

If it were up to me and I ran the network I would only allow ISPS to become TPIA if they can prove they will offer solutions that benefit the the consumer instead of gouging them to fill their wallets from offering subpar services.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by DanteX:

If it were up to me and I ran the network I would only allow ISPS to become TPIA if they can prove they will offer solutions that benefit the the consumer instead of gouging them to fill their wallets from offering subpar services.

Noble intentions until the ISP's start delivering wheelbarrels of cash to you place ; )

DanteX

Sure I could take the bribe money then tell them to get lost lol

its not like they can take me to court on the basis I took the bribe money and refused to pony up my end of the deal.

Crooked people need to be dealt with in the same fashion they treat others.

Infact i would take the money and donate it to a worthy cause like some sort of IT Charity that helps those in need

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

Their projection was 1.5 million subscribers by the end of 2012. They did not meet their target. Since launch they had aggressive price competition from Mobilicity and most people are suspicious of Wind and Mobi because of the small handset selection, many reviews about the bad network (speed/coverage) and bad customer service. There has been a management shakeup, the Canadian CEO was asked to step down a few weeks ago, Globalive is pulling out and Orascom is bringing their own people in. Since then Wind re-priced their plans for the 3rd or 4th time. I think they are struggling to keep up the momentum.

Fair enough. I'm not a WIND customer, I just wasn't seeing the overall picture. Laid out this way, it does in fact look like they're on "life support".

Interesting to see what happens.
--
Weeeeeee

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to BliZZardX
In the long run I think Mobi and Public Mobile are more in trouble than WIND is in terms of business. WIND has some cash that they could use to start building an LTE network if they choose to do so and they have far more coverage than the newcomers, but unless they get better spectrum they will likely not always get the best phone selection and they are no longer interested in aggressively competing against the incumbents.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to DanteX
I can't speak for Mobilicity, but Public Mobile has been doing pretty darned well for themselves... More than half as many customers as Wind despite spending a fraction as much money (due to 90% lower spectrum costs).
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
said by Guspaz:

I can't speak for Mobilicity, but Public Mobile has been doing pretty darned well for themselves... More than half as many customers as Wind despite spending a fraction as much money (due to 90% lower spectrum costs).

Won't matter if they can't sustain the growth because they'll need continued revenue to invest in the network and buying power for handsets. A lot of the carriers are smart for making offers for high end handsets and selling higher end plans as that supports the network expansion and new cell technology.

Might not be much growth opportunity in the lower price plans, certainly didn't help Fido in the end.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to DanteX
Last I heard they were #1 in terms of total number of new prepaid signups, although that was a while ago. The kind of market they target doesn't necessarily care as much about getting the latest phones.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

For what it's worth, Public Mobile is the only non-incumbent new entrant that is expanding their network beyond what it was when they launched.

2012 was supposed to be build year for Mobilicity. Hah, sure. They still don't cover all of the GTA. No idea how they're even still around.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
Are you sure about that?

WIND's network has steadily been expanding outwards from the GTA... it's not as great as I would like, but they started being Toronto only, and are now in most provinces as well as having an expanding presence north and south of the GTA in Ontario.

Again it ain't super, but compared to 2009, it's much bigger.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I said Mobilicity, not Wind. Wind has grown considerably from where they were in 2009. Mobilicity has not.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Public Mobile is the only non-incumbent new entrant that is expanding their network beyond what it was when they launched.

WIND is a non-incumbent new entrant. They are expanding their network. You didn't limit your statement to Mobilicity.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Shit yeah I see the mistake I made. I forgot to say "other than Wind"

The point being, Wind and Public Mobile have grown. Mobilicity has not.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

I said Mobilicity, not Wind. Wind has grown considerably from where they were in 2009. Mobilicity has not.

I must've read that wrong... I thought you said everyone other than Public was at a standstill.

No such thing as too much coffee...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to DanteX
To be honest, I'm surprised that the Mobilicity/Wind merger hasn't happened yet. Mobilicity doesn't seem to be doing so hot from their standpoint, so you'd think they'd realize their future was bleak, and from Wind's perspective they'd get a ton of extra spectrum (less congestion), towers (better coverage even in existing areas), and customers (instant jump to 1.5x customer count)...

Public Mobile and Wind are very different in terms of technology, pricing/packages, target market. But Wind and Mobilicity aren't, they're basically the same, and a merger would make a lot of sense...
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I must've read that wrong... I thought you said everyone other than Public was at a standstill.

No such thing as too much coffee...

Naw, you read it right. *I* was the one who was short on coffee

DoctorT

join:2011-07-23
St Catharines, ON
reply to DanteX
Here's a petition that I found to bring Google Fiber to Canada.
It's kind of old but it's still going!

»avaaz.org/en/petition/Bring_Goog···o_Canada

Immortal

join:2009-09-04
Milton, ON
reply to DanteX
If only this meant something: »business.financialpost.com/2013/···aterloo/