To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

2 edits

Duramax08

Premium Member

Dad got terminated for jury duty, what?

Ok so this just happened and im a bit pissed but here's the story.

My dad started working for a new trucking company about a week ago where you get paid by the truckload. When he first started he went to their "main branch" for training for a day thats in Oklahoma. After that he where they have the trucks and they gave him a truck that he would only be using. So they put him in the truck and he was following this one guy to show him how to load/unload sand since the sand gets shot out at high speed or so which needs training. He went out for 2-3 days only did one load since the guy he was with was kind of put on the "shitlist" for some odd reason or so and since my dad was with him, that automatically put him on the shitlist for mainbranch that dispatches people.

Before my dad started he got a jury summons which was today. When he first joined on he told them he had jury duty and they said ok. Fastforward to this week monday. They wanted to send him on a run to do a few loads which again could be days out in the field since they want trucks on standby 24/7. He told them that he would love to do it but he needs to be back for jury duty. The mainbranch dispatch didnt like that what so ever but where the trucks are parked my dad drives (lets call it the lot), the guy was ok with it and told him to give him a call when its done. So jury duty was today and he was lucky to get released at lunchtime. He went to do a few personal errands afterwards and call the guy at the lot at 5pm today. The guy said "we're gona have to let you go, I also let go of (guy that was training dad)".

This place has been losing 20k per month because they have no drivers (so the guy at the lot told my dad awhile back). He is incharge of these 4 trucks (they plan on moving 30 down from OK to TX soon) and my dad was showing him the fines the company could face if they make him drive over limit CDL drivers have and it blew that guys mind. He was so shocked he took it to make a copy to keep it on record. That shows you how much of their shit is in line. He knows nothing, especially laws.

So yeah, thats what just happened. My dad is too damn nice, he said he doesnt want to do anything to them (if this was illegal) because that guy at the yard is too nice and it would bring down the company that just started.

Im mindblown right now. Even if they wanted to fire him, they should of atleast waited rather then waiting for my dad to call to see what time he should go in after jury duty then BAM, sorry, we dont need you any more can you return the keys please?

Discuss.

Update: After talking to my dad, they reason they were pissed at the person that was training him because he told the company he couldnt drive anymore because to state law, if you drive over a certain limit without taking a break, they will charge the driver and the fines run in the thousands and ontop of that, the truck driver company doesnt have to pay their fine and it goes on the drivers record. They have state troopers in line pulling truckers over to read their logs, thats why my dad was following the law so he wont get screwed over.

This shit pisses me off. My dad tried out 2 other truck driving companies and all want you to drive more then you are allowed. They dont care if you are following texas laws. You do what they say or they'll find another guy to screw over. And one company wanted more from you and their trucks were pulling to the left alot which they were aware of and didnt want to fix till something major was wrong. Yeah, i guess youll need to crash head on taking a few lives with you to get trucks fixed at certain companies.

To the people that dont know, theres a huge oil boom here in south texas called the Eagle Ford Shale. Theres loads of money to be made here but time is money and they want more out of you then you can legally do.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02

Ray

Premium Member

Sounds like a shitty place to work anyway. Where safety is job... 8 or 9, maybe. Look at it as an opportunity for a better, safer job.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08
I understand our point, that he's too nice to do anything about it, and raising a ruckus about it could cause him more problems in the long run, but I this is illegal in "most states."
»jobs.aol.com/articles/20 ··· ry-duty/
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Duramax08

to Duramax08
quote:
Case Study: Ignoring the Jury Duty Laws Was ‘Not One of His Smarter Management Decisions’

A Texas employer was arrested after firing a worker who insisted on honoring her civic duty of responding to a call for jury duty.

Jennifer Sutton, an executive assistant at Dallas-based computer company Affiliated Computer Services, claims she reminded her boss, Warren Edwards, about the jury duty summons several times in advance. She even confided that she was looking forward to serving on a jury for the first time.

Edwards’s response was to give her a reprimand and an additional work assignment, which she came to work early to finish on the morning her jury duty was to begin. He then demanded she stay to finish the task.

“I was in tears and told Mr. Edwards that I needed to go to jury duty,” Sutton recalls. “He said for me to pack up my stuff, consider this my last day, that I was fired.” The verbal pink slip was delivered ten days before Christmas.

Sutton’s tale so incensed District Judge John M. Marshall that he issued a warrant for Edwards’s arrest and ordered Dallas deputies to bring him in at once.

“I made it clear to him that this was not one of his smarter management decisions,” opined the judge.

“It was a mistake,” a computer company official later conceded of the firing.

Sutton seconded that emotion, refusing the company’s offer of another job. Her final demand was getting her former job back—or six months’ pay.

The final settlement terms are undisclosed. But the story of the ill-decided firing was writ large in newspapers nationwide.
»www.nolo.com/legal-encyc ··· uty.html

Says if your father was a permanent employee, he's entitled to at least 1 year's compensation and reinstatement of his job.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

Duramax08 to runnoft

Premium Member

to runnoft
You see, he's been to court a few times in his days. He was always in the right but he just hates going to court because it breaks relationships and whatnot. Also the hassle of courts, its just a pain in the ass. I told him to talk to a lawyer and he goes "nope". Either way I dont see this company lasting much longer. My dad could probably go and take them out of their misery now but he just doesnt want to do that.
Expand your moderator at work
Duramax08

Duramax08 to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

Re: Dad got terminated for jury duty, what?

He did a application, got hired, they got him uniforms and even gave him a iphone for work. Is that consider permanent?

Note: when he went to go take his stuff back, the boss of the truck yard wasnt there, told my dad to leave the keys and uniforms in the truck.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Ray

Premium Member

to Ray
I wasn't a divorced dad with kid part time, I'd do it. It's either Texas (warm in the winter) or Alberta (WTF! I don't care if it's a "DRY COLD"...it FREAKING COLD!!) Though I'd go back to Alberta in May and stick around until the end of the CFL.

I work 10-14 hours a day...this wouldn't bother me. Some state authority asks. "Umm..I dunno...maybe 6 so far...well...4 if you include my 2 hour lunch break with some hit chick..."

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08
I think he should just move on. Sounds like the trucking company is shitty like a lot of them out there. He shouldn't go over his hours of service. Its HIS license that will take the hit and HIS fine to pay. You can drive up to 11 hours and work non driving 3 hours for a total of 14 but then must take 10 hours off.

»www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules- ··· ndex.htm

I worked for TMC and they were decent by not making you work over your hours. I think now they have computer logs so you can't really cheat. State Police routinely set up check points to check log books and trucks for safety violations, weigh stations as well sometimes check. They also do random stops.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08
I walked on a similar job that had me trying to run over the limit. Some of these companies just do not care they are breaking the law.

I left their truck running and in a lot 700 miles from the DC. heh they was not happy in the slightest and swore I would never work in the state again for another hauling company. 2 weeks later I was back driving for another company that respected me and even understood when I had to stop driving because of some issues.
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08

Re: Dad got terminated for jury duty, what?

This is unfortunately not uncommon in the industry. Numerous TV news magazine shows have looked into the pushing of drivers passed DOT limits.

We live in an unfortunate world were everything must be done and done fast. damn the safety full speed ahead.

I think this is why UPS runs two drivers in their long haul trucks.