uniqs

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to kewl13

to kewl13

Re: [INTERNET] Cannot update to new version of Cogeco Security S

said by kewl13:

If I remember correctly in my early days of computing and using cable I think Cogeco actually offered programs such as Norton and McAfee so I assume that they feel F-Secure is more secure.

Those decisions are made based on the revenue sharing. Nice euphemism for kick backs. Whichever AV company is willing to give the best deal to the ISP, typically from up-sells from free "light" version, gets distributed.

I've done these deals. Trust me, it's not about security.

noemails
@bell.ca

noemails

Anon

thats a true comment can you imagine how much money the company bell or rogers made off referring and supporting the security software they push
noemails

noemails to No_Strings

Anon

to No_Strings
even microsoft teamed up with bell at one point... i still have the dirext phone number to seatle for support
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Those decisions are made based on the revenue sharing. Nice euphemism for kick backs. Whichever AV company is willing to give the best deal to the ISP, typically from up-sells from free "light" version, gets distributed.

I've done these deals. Trust me, it's not about security.

Just wanted to clarify that Cogeco Security Services is not a "free light version" but rather a custom version of their Retail Security Suite. We have the software modified (Cogeco branding, a few default settings tweaked, etc.) but the scanning engines, definition files, update cycle, etc. is all the same. There is no "up-sell" option, as you are already running a full suite.