Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 recommendations

Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease

Version: 4.2.216.0
Date published: 2/6/2013

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=29942
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

Any changelog?

Expand your moderator at work

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease

MSE updated

Just noticed that Microsoft patched MSE to 4.2.233 in yesterdays patch Tues releases. That said you don't seem to be able to download full installers for 4.2.233. All the links I can find still point to 4.1.0522.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

Hmmm...wonder if there is a newer version of Windows Defender? Or will that be updated only with a Service Pack for Windows 8? Or, since it is built into the OS, does it not need updating (just the definitions)?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

If you run WU you might find out

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Yeah....I did run it once when the computer was new to get it current. There was nothing new then for Windows Defender. It has a date of July 2012 on it. I'll go look at Microsoft Download site....but that is so much "fun" to use with Fx and Proxo.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

I can save you the trouble. There's nothing at the Microsoft download site for MSE (except for the prerelease--the original subject of this thread).
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Thanks. Since Windows Defender is built into Win 8, I would think it might need a Service Pack for the OS to update it. It's file properties number is nothing like that for MSE or the new MSE pre-release.
--

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

Thanks to dealing with Forefront (the corporate product) I've found that while the UI portion (client version) might not have been updated, what matters is that the Engine versions are the same. Forefront 2010 was on what was basically MSE 2.x's UI until November 2012 when they pushed a new client version down via Windows Update (that brought it into line with MSE 4.0) but the core engine behind the scenes was updated in sync with MSE.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to StuartMW

This thread, in Microsoft's MSE forum, might shed some light

quote:
The correct version # is 4.2.223.0 and the upgrade is only available via the WU process or from the program's 'check for software updates' feature (which uses the WU pipeline).

BTW the thread also contains a link to the updater EXE so you can update offline if you wish.
--

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 edit

said by StuartMW:

This thread, in Microsoft's MSE forum, might shed some light

quote:
The correct version # is 4.2.223.0 and the upgrade is only available via the WU process or from the program's 'check for software updates' feature (which uses the WU pipeline).

BTW the thread also contains a link to the updater EXE so you can update offline if you wish.

Nice find, now I can pull out the installer from my Updates cache

I gotta try and find the same thing when I'm at work for Forefront 2010's update that came out in November, it was WU only so you have to install the original build and then WU update it, I've been hoping for an easy offline way to do that.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

Unfortunately the one linked is x86 (just unzip it). If you have the x64 one it'd be nice if you posted it somewhere (pretty please)
--

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

Unfortunately the one linked is x86. If you have the x64 one it'd be nice if you posted it somewhere (pretty please)

That was easy!

It is ebd2cb6d79da21ae1fb45a192a460b132d788f77
Size: 8,186,832 bytes / 7,995 KB

Add .exe to the end of the file and you get the x64 MSE installer

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

Got it thanks!

For others here's the full pathname.

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ebd2cb6d79da21ae1fb45a192a460b132d788f77

on x86 machines the updater pathname is

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\3ad554dd391f1d754ddd279e76cdc823d44244d8
--

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to StuartMW

Used WU yesterday to get the current rounds of MS updates on both PCs (one running WIN7 Pro 64Bit, the other WIN7 Pro 32Bit, neither running auto-update). A 4.2.223.0 update to MSE was offered under the "Important" updates, but not checked on both machines. I checked it, ran the update, and both are now running this version.
--
Mac

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by CovMac:

Used WU yesterday to get the current rounds of MS updates on both PCs (one running WIN7 Pro 64Bit, the other WIN7 Pro 32Bit, neither running auto-update). A 4.2.223.0 update to MSE was offered under the "Important" updates, but not checked on both machines. I checked it, ran the update, and both are now running this version.

Yep that's the release we've been talking about. The release at the top of this thread (Version: 4.2.216.0) was very quickly superseded with 4.2.223.0.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to StuartMW

FYI full installers for MSE v4.2.223 are now available from

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···download
--