spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skye

@bell.ca

3-6 drops a day

All, I'm running a connection hub and about 2 months ago started getting disconnects. Bell techs have tested the line and visited the house... everything they say is fine.

Any ideas?

Here is a truncated log from the last few days:

Feb 4 05:12:55 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 17:42:03 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 17:55:30 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 18:48:45 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 19:01:33 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 20:19:04 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 5 11:20:25 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 5 16:57:22 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 5 18:59:24 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:04:25 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:25:51 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:41:41 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:43:36 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 09:54:09 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 17:12:11 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 18:06:05 [PPPoE]: Link Down

And the full log for one instance:

Feb 5 16:58:36 [PPPoE]: Send PADI
Feb 5 16:58:36 [PPPoE]: Receive PADO
Feb 5 16:58:36 [PPPoE]: Send PADR
Feb 5 16:58:36 [PPPoE]: Receive PADS
Feb 5 16:58:38 [PPPoE]: Link Established
Feb 5 16:58:39 [PPPoE]: Local IP address 69.159.XX.XXX
Feb 5 16:58:39 [PPPoE]: Remote IP address 64.230.XXX.XXX
Feb 5 16:58:39 [PPPoE]: Primary DNS address 207.164.234.193
Feb 5 16:58:39 [PPPoE]: Secondary DNS address 07.164.234.129
Feb 5 16:58:40 [SYSTEM]: mt_ma: device ppp1 state change (up, ppp reset=0)
Feb 5 17:01:17 [IGMP]: Removing multicast group 239.255.255.250 from device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:03:16 [IGMP]: Adding multicast group 239.255.255.250 to device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:05:27 [IGMP]: Removing multicast group 239.255.255.250 from device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:09:31 [IGMP]: Adding multicast group 239.255.255.250 to device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:13:51 [IGMP]: Removing multicast group 239.255.255.250 from device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:15:42 [IGMP]: Adding multicast group 239.255.255.250 to device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:18:00 [IGMP]: Removing multicast group 239.255.255.250 from device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:19:52 [IGMP]: Adding multicast group 239.255.255.250 to device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:24:12 [IGMP]: Removing multicast group 239.255.255.250 from device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:32:25 [IGMP]: Adding multicast group 239.255.255.250 to device br0 port 0
Feb 5 17:34:36 [IGMP]: Removing multicast group 239.255.255.250 from device br0 port 0
Feb 5 18:59:24 [SYSTEM]: mt_ma: device ppp1 state change (down, ppp reset=0)
Feb 5 18:59:24 [PPPoE]: Connection terminated.
Feb 5 18:59:25 [PPPoE]: Disconnecting

Modem:

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v6740S
Rescue Version: FAST2864_v7740S
Hardware Version:2864-000000-002

Thanks for the help.

-Jeff

skye

@bell.ca

Add another drop just now:

Feb 6 20:52:07 [PPPoE]: Link Down

WTF!

skye

@bell.ca
reply to skye

I should add that I'm on 15/10 and getting that when the connection is up with a 5ms ping time (reported by speedtest.net). When the connection goes down, both blue lights go out, then start flashing, a brief flash of red, and then they are back. One blinks occasionally.

-Jeff

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
reply to skye

Does this happen randomly? or only at certain times?

if it happens at certain times, I might have an idea.

Skye

@bell.ca

Seems random, but when it does happen it seems be generally strung together (multiple drops in the same hour). I'm gathering more data.

BellUser123

@bell.ca
reply to skye

hey man i'm in lakefield ontario and i'm experiencing the EXACT same issue that you are.... the PPPOE link down issue in the system log seems ramdon and only happens after around 4pm EST (95% of the time) and will disco on and off on and off for several hours making the net 100% unusable.

i've had technicians out here 6 times and none of them have been able to actually fix the problem. they've given me 3 new modems (also on the connection hub with 15/10), none of the modems help the problems, they changed the physical lines in my house, fixed the lines and hardware at the pole.

i'm at a loss as to what's going on but it's nice to know i'm not alone although i feel your pain....

anyone have anything to offer on this issue?

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to skye

If it's happening at around same time everyday. It could be something in your house that is interfering with the DSL.

In my case, it was my father turning on certain florescence lights at around the same time every night. And once they were turned on I kept losing my DSL signal until they were turned off.

BellUser123

@bell.ca

that's interesting, one of the bell guys suggested that it could be the fluorescence's in the house. the lights are off in the room where the modem is most of the time and i've tested this theory by turning on those same lights during the stable period (morning/early afternoon) which had no affect on the modem in that period. I've also done the reverse and have all the flouro's in the room and neighboring room off during the unstable period which also had no affect.

i live in a standard residential home with no heavy equipment running other then a washer or dryer at times and those have been both on and off during both stable and unstable periods with seemingly no affect.

Skye if you come back please let me know what part of the country/province you are in, i'm trying to get this handled with bell and it would be nice if i could provide other examples of where this is happening other then my location. would be awesome if we happened to be close and even more awesome if we are on the same node which would point at some hardware issues that they might not have expected.

although i'm leaning more towards a protocol issue since it's happening over PPPOE where our modems are dropping the connection and reconnecting in minutes.... bell removed the bridge tap they had on my line so waiting for a couple of hours to get into my unstable period to see if that helped, if not they are bringing more experienced software techs to examine the logs themselves....

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to skye

That's the interesting part with mine.

I have a big florescence light in the same room as the modem, it doesn't affect it one bit.

But 1 florescence light upstairs, effects it. It seemed to effect it more at night then in the morning.

I could make it happen on demand later on.

The connection hub modem was the one most affected. The 2wire, could handle it better. It still disconnected with the light but not as often.

The connection hub, also disconnected with me on one coffee maker I had in the same room. Every time I made coffee, POOF no DSL! The 2wire wasn't affected with that issue.

I've since replaced that light with a LED.

BellUser123

@bell.ca

really wish Skye would get on

noemails

@bell.ca

from looking at your log all the drops are after dark....any motion detected lights or anything like that your next door might have or you....this can cause the issue your describing. baby montiors anything else wireless in the area can cause what you see....

Skye

@bell.ca
reply to BellUser123

Hi all, I'm in Toronto (near High Park). No fluorescent lights in the house, and you can see from the time stamps that some of the time it goes down in the middle of the night (1am) when the lights are out. My plan now is to replace the modem, once. Also to keep a log digest of every instance of Link Down. You can see it started at the beginning of the thread.

If there are others with the problem, a similar list of link down lines would help us see if there is any correlation in terms of frequency or time of day.

Belluser123 - what is a "bridge tap"?

noemails

@bell.ca

bridge tap info on this site aml is another possible isue but i would rule out them both based on the fact they signed you up for the speed your getting...its most likely an inside wiring issue

BellUser123

@bell.ca
reply to Skye

a bridge tap is when the have a line coming off of your line on the way to your house that is usually used to run off to another house. i believe it's fairly common but if they aren't terminated properly or get damaged they can cause interference

BellUser123

@bell.ca
reply to noemails

they've already redone all the lines in my house

skye

@bell.ca

Updated drop log... frequency dropping without any changes.

Feb 4 05:12:55 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 17:42:03 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 17:55:30 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 18:48:45 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 19:01:33 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 4 20:19:04 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 5 11:20:25 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 5 16:57:22 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:04:25 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:25:51 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:41:41 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 01:43:36 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 09:54:09 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 17:12:11 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 18:06:05 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 6 20:52:07 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 7 16:58:15 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 7 19:49:09 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 7 21:00:56 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 7 21:13:45 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 8 17:01:19 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 8 20:43:45 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 8 21:02:46 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 8 22:10:55 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 8 22:28:40 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 8 22:44:21 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 9 10:20:13 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 9 19:44:34 [PPPoE]: Link Down
Feb 10 02:21:05 [PPPoE]: Link Down

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to skye

My brother just signed up for 25/10 unlimited and has 14 wireless devices. Needless to say the modem drops once a day on average. Will factory default the Sagemcom and use the router (newer type) to do the pppoe and wireless. He doesn't have Fibe tv so no problem. I'll see if that fixes the modem drop as the processor and the memory of the Sagemcom can only handle at most a couple of wireless devices that are close to the modem. His line is near perfect with attenuation of around 2 down and 1 up.

BellUser123

@bell.ca
reply to skye

i'm still having the issues as well, i have the ear of the bell guys that have been to my house and they've been giving me the tour of the system and how it works. we've replaced the modems a number of times, we've tested the lines dozens of times and removed anything on the physical line that *could* have some issue.

still no resolution and the links are still dropping over pppoe. no real update for you but still having the issues which seem to only happen after 4/5pm.

it seems from your log that it also drops during the same period as me as well. can you let me know if you connection is stable during the day up to before 4pm?

Alissa

@bell.ca
reply to skye

having the exact same issue... bell tech support on the phone is useless and always tells me my connection is fine. Tech has been out, replaced outside lines, run tests at pole and inside line. Every test comes up fine. It dropped while the tech was here the last time though and he said he had no idea why it was doing it. Had drops only once in a while with the 2 wire modem, but since switching to 15/10 with the new modem that comes with it (replaced twice already), it sometimes happens 10 times a day, and once it drops once it will drop a few more times before working normally again.
Tech support is useless, does anyone have a solution? Only phone line in the house runs to the kitchen, we have dry loop internet (so no phones attached). Times seem to be random, not related to lights on or any appliances running. (only appliance on all the time is the fridge and it's a good 15 ft from the modem and i have not noticed the fridge motor running when the issue occurs)

super frustrated at this point.

Badboygt

@bell.ca
reply to skye

well glad to see I'm not the only one!!! I have been complaining to Bell for the last 6 months at least .. Had problems with the 2wire and then switched to 15/10 with the Sagecom modem, and now it happens regularly and most importantly VERY RANDOMLY!! No specific times or time frame .. has started happening when I'm on audio conferences, and working from home this has become a HUGE problem.

I have a dry loop installed, no phones in the house, Bell has rewired directly from the exterior to the modem .. changed the outside block, linked me to a new line .. and still more of the same .. I am really getting peeved to say the least .. at least Bell has been nice enough to credit me for a few months ..

Would love to hear if anyone having this issue has actually had resolution through Bell.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to skye

There are two different issues being worked on by tech support right now...nothing officially announced but I know they are working to resolve the rebooting issue with the modem and the data flow stoppage also.

1. Modem reboots randomly
2. Data stops flowing (synch no surf) random times per day

Temp fix for #2 is to place the service on an IPTV or FibeTV profile but I don't have an answer for #1.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

skye

@rogers.com
reply to Badboygt

Update on my end: I've had three techs out now. The first did nothing but promised a new modem that didn't arrive (new info: they should have a spare modem in their truck). The second tech replace the card at one end and my modem at the other. That night drops continued, and the following night it was horrible - I could barely keep a sync. That tech left his number but didn't show up again. I called in again and a third tech came out yesterday. At that point I hadn't experienced a drop in about 36 hours - rare! According to him, the line was fine from outside my house and poor inside. The modem upload speed was set to 10, but the modem couldn't maintain it. It is likely that on my last call in, they changed my profile and upload speed to 3, which the modem could maintain. My options: keep the 3 profile, or replace all of the internal wire.

I chose the second option. We reused a old hole for Bell ExpressVu and ran new wire right to the modem, three quarters of the way around the outside of my house.

He changed the profile back to 10, and so far no drops(16 hours).

What I've Learned:

1) tech quality varies widely. Keep calling them out until you get a good one
2) choose a time during the day, when it is warmer. Much higher chance for a complete solution
3) DSL is very sensitive... the new wire was twisted, which helps eliminate interference
4) the test center is probably dropping your upload speed to maintain sync. Use speedtest.net to verify. If you can live with slower upload, ask them to drop it and see if that changes things
5) I have my own theory that it is related to the outside temperature. But I haven't been able to prove it.
6) don't give up!

I do have an old house. The wire looked to be in good shape, but you can't see it in the walls. It also ran outside between floors.

I will report back again... but I may be fixed and actually getting 15/10.

-Skye

TechGuru81

join:2013-03-08
Ajax, ON
reply to skye

It's an authentication problem. Could be your modem, but most likely an issue with your passwords for authenticating your acount. Call bell and they should be able to fix it over the phone.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to skye

Most likely it was something inside disturbing your line. I had a repair not to long ago where the customer would lose sync causing the fibe TV services to stop randomly. We actually pinpointed it to the treadmill. Every time it turned on modem would lose sync immediately and when you turned it off it would return to normal right away. We tried plugging the treadmill using an extension cord into different outlets and even moving the modem to no avail. There was a coax line running along the ceiling above the treadmill that may have been picking up some interference from the motor in the treadmill and sending it back to the modem.

What I did to remedy the problem was place an outside NID pots splitter and ran a dedicated cat5 line to modem jack. Grounded the cable splitter and placed ferrite connectors around the coax. I left my number with the customer and even followed up a few days later and he hasn't had a problem since.