spc
uniqs
root
join:2002-12-11

root to SharpSh00ter

to SharpSh00ter

Re: [OOL] Multiple Modems

said by SharpSh00ter:

Does anyone know if it is possible to use two modems. I don't want both on the internet though. I would like to keep one upstairs for phone and tv while putting a second one downstairs that is just for the internet. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is would it still count as needing a second internet subscription?

It is possible to have two modems in a single location with one being provisioned for OV only and the other being for OOL only. As to what circumstances it would take to make that happen...I'm not 100% sure.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard

said by root:

said by SharpSh00ter:

Does anyone know if it is possible to use two modems. I don't want both on the internet though. I would like to keep one upstairs for phone and tv while putting a second one downstairs that is just for the internet. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is would it still count as needing a second internet subscription?

It is possible to have two modems in a single location with one being provisioned for OV only and the other being for OOL only. As to what circumstances it would take to make that happen...I'm not 100% sure.

Separate modems are not offered as regular, billed service (you really would have to pay for OOL twice, but there were some noises here that that is no longer possible under the same account), it's only offered out of necessity when nothing else (from CV's point of view) works out:

It's a necessity on multi-line accounts, e.g.: a business orders 5 OV lines, they'll get a 4-port and 2-port modem, and OOL is disabled on one of the modems, not necessarily the 2nd one.

For residential, even if you order 3 or 4 lines (4 is the current max, I think), you'll get a 4-port modem, rarely two 2-port ones - the RF signal is stronger without the additional splitter, which can be a problem in some locations.

Ultra has not required a separate modem in a very long time: when CV started up DOCIS3.0 service in May 2009, the only D3 modems available were data-only: the Moto SB6120 and the Cisco DPC3000 were used (if you wish to read back forum posts that far), and they would, of course, install additional D2 VOIP modem(s) for any OV lines ordered. This separation has not been necessary since the SBV6220 (2-line D3.0) became available in early 2010, and the SB6120/DPC3000 modems have long been superseded by other hardware (Cisco DPQ3212, DPQ3925, Arris TM802, TM804, TM822).
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

I thought businesses with more then 2 lines get those 8 or 16 line boxes that connect to the modem ?

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

Ultra has not required a separate modem in a very long time: when CV started up DOCIS3.0 service in May 2009, the only D3 modems available were data-only: the Moto SB6120 and the Cisco DPC3000 were used (if you wish to read back forum posts that far), and they would, of course, install additional D2 VOIP modem(s) for any OV lines ordered. This separation has not been necessary since the SBV6220 (2-line D3.0) became available in early 2010, and the SB6120/DPC3000 modems have long been superseded by other hardware (Cisco DPQ3212, DPQ3925, Arris TM802, TM804, TM822).

Thank you for verifying my impression (which I hedged with a "is/was") about Ultra and a separate VOIP modem and clearing up the situation. As you note, the separate VOIP Modem was a special situation which is now longer needed or supported (unless you need more than 2 lines). I apologize for the misinformation.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to majortom1029

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

I thought businesses with more then 2 lines get those 8 or 16 line boxes that connect to the modem ?

Yeah, they'll give businesses 4 line modems for 3+ line orders, and 12-line modems for 8+, I believe. They don't offer either to residential accounts (max 4 per account)

sff
join:1999-07-20
New Rochelle, NY

sff to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

said by root:

said by SharpSh00ter:

Does anyone know if it is possible to use two modems. ..snip.. I would like to keep one upstairs for phone and tv while putting a second one downstairs that is just for the internet. ..snip..

...snip...

..snip..

It's a necessity on multi-line accounts, e.g.: a business orders 5 OV lines, they'll get a 4-port and 2-port modem, and OOL is disabled on one of the modems, not necessarily the 2nd one.

For residential, even if you order 3 or 4 lines (4 is the current max, I think), you'll get a 4-port modem, rarely two 2-port ones - the RF signal is stronger without the additional splitter, which can be a problem in some locations.

Ultra has not required a separate modem in a very long time: when CV started up DOCIS3.0 service in May 2009, the only D3 modems available were data-only: ..snip.. This separation has not been necessary since the SBV6220 (2-line D3.0) became available in early 2010, and the SB6120/DPC3000 modems have long been superseded by other hardware (Cisco DPQ3212, DPQ3925, Arris TM802, TM804, TM822).

Are there any D3.0 4 phone port modems available? My brother has 3 phone lines and one modem, not D3.0. His internet has been pretty poor for a a long time.

Sass
@optonline.net

Sass

Anon

Arris 4 line doc 3 ya
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to sff

to sff
said by sff:

Are there any D3.0 4 phone port modems available? My brother has 3 phone lines and one modem, not D3.0. His internet has been pretty poor for a a long time.

The Arris TM804 I mentioned is a 4-VOIP-port D3.0 modem.

brentos
join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

brentos to root

to root
said by root:

said by SharpSh00ter:

I have two modems left over from when Ultra first came out (first Ultra modem didn't have phone jacks) and still have a 2nd modem just for OV. When a tech replaced my Ultra modem he wasn't inclined to move the OV lines over to the new modem, been too lazy to get it changed.