|reply to rell89 |
Re: [speed/latency] Is verizon lying to me?
Okay, I just got back today. Here are my transceiver stats, I hope this is evrything:
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 640 Kbps
Retrain Timer: 8 Days, 2H:41M:44S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 7012
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 122
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 3
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 12 dB
SNR Upstream : 9 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 51 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 31 dB
Power Downstream 18.8 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm
Spring Mills, PA
that's all i needed to know. your line cannot do anything above 3Mbps, your line is simply too long to handle it. getting past that, your upstream sync should be at 864, not 640. as well, the snr upstream is poor, would be good to see it at 12 or more. i would suggest the usual checking wires, connections, wall jacks, etc..., and seeing if you can get upstream back up to 864 where it should be. beyond that, there's not much else to say; i'm in the same boat you're in, i can't get anything above 3 where i live as well.
|reply to rell89 |
Do you have the capability of connecting directly to the NID (the box where the service comes into the house)?
If so, do that and get a copy of the stats.
I think of that as reflecting Best Case for your home. That way, if you see a major diff between the 2 sets of stats you know that the cause is somewhere inside of the house.
Several years ago I accepted Verizon's offer to try their 7Mbps (capped at only 5Mbps, though) for 6 months for no extra cost.
I was seeing much lower (and inconsistent) Up&DN synch speeds. I checked at the NID and obtained a perfect & consistent 5Mbps synch.
Armed with that information I was able to do some testing inside my house and determined one particular run of wire to be the culprit. Apparently, it could handle 3Mbps but 5Mbps was just too much.
BTW, my Attenuation Downstream at that time was running ~42-45 and I realized that 5Mbps would be pushing it ... but once I got that bad length of wire sorted, I had a solid 5Mbps for the remainder of that Trial.