sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24

3 edits

7 recommendations

I am so sorry

... to worry people. This is my first chance to get to a computer where I could give any explanation at all.

You all know I have been helping a family member. That family member was trying to get a home of 13 years packed up and ready to sell. We were working hard to get it sold before his unemployment funds ended. On that part, I helped enough I'm pretty sure he is going to make it. So, that's the good news.

The bad news is the dumb move I made as we rushed to get the packed boxes into the storage unit. Two thirds of the way through, we discovered we needed to return the truck in 20 minutes. He suggested I get on the truck and shove boxes, let him be the runner, might be faster.

I didn't stop to think. I grabbed for the handle, hoisted myself up and lost my grip. Finger tendonitis. Stopping to think would have been so much betterer.

Bottom line: I could have killed myself had my head hit the pavement. I honestly don't know why it didn't. Perhaps an angel held it and kept it from happening. I think I tried to land on my feet, hit hard on my right foot, but didn't get my balance, went on over wrenching my right knee.

That happened Thursday. At first I tried to believe it was a sprain, but by Friday morning I relented. I let my daughter take me in for x-rays, then a CT scan, then a visit with a surgeon (a really good one I am told) in Orthopedics, who gave me the bad news.

1. "You have a very bad break, worst I have ever seen of that type, sadly."
2. "It is in the worst place if you have to break a bone, too, the tibial plateau."
3. "I recommend surgery tomorrow morning. How about 10 am? You need to be here by 7:30am for post op. I am recommending a rebuild, bone grafting, metal plate, screws. Hopefully, I can rebuild it to nearly the same."
4. "More bad news is that there is already a lot of arthritis there. Since you indicated you haven't felt pain, it appears to be the kind that isn't painful. While that is good, it doesn't guarantee it won't cause further deterioration."
5. "You'll be non-weight-bearing on the right knee at least six weeks, at a minimum. It will take a long time to get as good as it is going to get and we won't know for six months whether you will have decreased function."

It has taken all this time to get through the hospital stuff, get home, entertain dozens of physical therapists, equipment deliveries, blood draw visits and there is more to come. It seems like I am on the phone all day long every day.

Mostly I use a walker to get around, but they also provided a wheel chair for trips into the community and so I can tool around in the rec room, watch TV or drive to the other end to my office space. I can finally sit at the computer with a leg support. The leg must stay locked straight in the brace until the doc decides we can start allowing slightly increasing bends.

Again, I am so sorry to desert you like that. It has been a bit overwhelming and "this, too, shall pass."

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown
You certainly do not have to apologize for worrying folks here (even though we were worried). We're glad that you are alive and kicking (figuratively). Hope that your recovery is speedier than the doc's prediction and that your comfort level increase rapidly.
--
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to sortofageek
Huh? What desert? You are ill, you have to get that leg better. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to sortofageek
Heal well, heal fast, heal painlessly as possible.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
reply to sortofageek
That's quite the adventure! Get well soon!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 edit
reply to sortofageek
We Hope and pray that this will be just another funny story a year from now.
I know what those walkers are and they can get to you. My wife has been using one since early spring last year. Do keep using it even though it will get on your nerves and patience. You do not want to have another fall that will make things worse. The wife has two walkers. One of the type you see tennis balls on that one scoots around on and the other with four wheels and a seat that comes in very handy to sit and rest on when needed and most of all to put things on that need to be moved from place to place.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
reply to sortofageek
I am very sorry for your injury.

You certainly don't owe anyone here an apology! You had plenty enough already on the table.

I can only hope and pray that your recovery is uneventful, and you suffer no long term loss of mobility.
--
Deeds, not words

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:8
reply to sortofageek
Oh my gosh. No apology required.

Concentrate on recovery.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
Usually I am quick to try to find humor
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine"

but I find myself just sitting here sympathising with you
and wishing an uncomplicated healing
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to sortofageek
Wow, Sorto! Just heal up ok! That's the most important thing.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
I have known you how many years now? And all this time I thought you were graceful!

So sorry to hear about your accident dearest! Wishing you a quick and full recovery. Brighter days ahead!
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

3 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
WOW!!
Sorry Sunny!
I kinda know what you're going through, (broke my left tibia plateau in scooter wreck).

Do PREZACTALLY as the Dr. says!! I can't over emphasize!!

It will heal and you will regain function. It may not be as it was before the accident, but you should be able to get therapy after all the plaster comes off. It will hurt, but you're tough. Todays PTs can help you get back to as close to "normal" as is possible.

It has amazed me, since my accident, how truly frail, and vulnerable we all are, and how much we depend on our limbs.

I have since re-evaluated my age, reflexes, and ability to heal quickly. I have come to the conclusion, that this "getting old" thang pretty much, SUCKS!!

Get well Sunny!

EDIT: Pictures would be great!!

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
Nothing to be sorry about. It's a shame that you need to go through so much just because you are trying to do the right thing and help someone in their time of need.

Get well soon and happy belated Groundhog Day!
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

Who are you again????

No worries!!! Get well, get better, and listen to the Doc like Russ said!

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
Ouch!

There's a lot of good advice above; I can't add anything new. You have all my best wishes for the speediest and most complete recovery possible.

If something HAD to break, better your leg than your skull or spine.
--
One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. Rita Mae Brown

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
So glad to see you posting again. Broken bones will mend, believe me I know, and in time you'll be good as new! In the meantime hang in there and know we're all thinking of you.

opus74
Deep Thought
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL
reply to sortofageek
No apology needed. Get well soon!

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

4 recommendations

reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

Mostly I use a walker to get around, but they also provided a wheel chair for trips into the community and so I can tool around in the rec room, watch TV or drive to the other end to my office space. I can finally sit at the computer with a leg support. The leg must stay locked straight in the brace until the doc decides we can start allowing slightly increasing bends.

Yer a one-person wrecking crew!!! Beware of yourself....................
--
giz~

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to sortofageek
We missed you! You have a lot going on, we understand!
Glad to have you back. We haven't been too, too bad in your absence.
I put out an APB on you wondering where you where at. No one knew this was happening to you. So sorry to read of your problems. Hopefully things will improve. Meanwhile take care of yourself. Thats priority one!

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
Wow, sorry to hear what happened Sunny. Take it easy and let things heal, OK?

You're our field goal kicker. We need you next season.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
reply to sortofageek
I think every one has said it all. Listen to the doc and do what he says. Prayers and mojo going out to you for quick healing and recovery. Stay safe and heal quickly.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

mig
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA
reply to sortofageek
Jeepers!

Well you did a good thing in helping your family member. I'll pray for a quick and full recovery for you.

Be well

SCOTTSAK
Anything That Falls On The Floor Is Mine
Premium
join:2000-10-29
San Mateo, CA
reply to sortofageek
Get well soon and take it easy.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19
reply to sortofageek
Hope your bones mend fast!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place
reply to sortofageek
Dang Sunny, hope things get better. Hate to hear about the injury. I will keep you in my prayers.

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
WOW!!!

So I'm no longer the only one around here who has trashed the right knee/leg and ended up locked up straight in a brace until the surgeon decides when bending can begin! At least I had a better excuse. I got run over by two of my 3-year-old Trakehner fillies in a freak accident, instead of falling out of the back of a rental truck.

Seriously, Sunny, I am so sorry to hear that you've had such an awful accident. (And I'm really happy to hear that you didn't crack open your noggin and spill your brains all over the pavement!) So you've got a long road to get healed up now, you've got alot of physical therapy to go through to get yourself back up on both feet, and you're going to set off the metal detector at the airport from now on.

I'll warn you right now. PT ain't gonna be any fun, specially after having your knee locked out for that long. So you've got your work cut out for you. If you haven't started doing quad sets yet, I'd find out whether or not you can start doing them, so that you don't lose those muscles. Bust your behinder-ender once you start doing PT, and do your home exercises, no matter how much you hate it and how much it hurts, because that's what it's going to take to get going again.

My entire right leg was destroyed in my accident, so it took me 2 1/2 years and multiple surgeries to learn to walk again. My goal was to get back on my big gelding and ride again; I thought my orthopedic surgeon was going to have a heart attack when I told him that. After he met Fry, he changed his mind; Fry was 18 hands and weighed just under 1700 pounds but was as gentle as a lamb. I still miss him to this day, and that was 26 years ago.

If I was close, I'd bring you some goodies to eat, some good books to read, lots of hugs for my dear friend, and plenty of moral support to help you through whatever is coming down the pike!
--
"I can't save them all, but I sure as hell CAN help move them to safety." - Jo

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to sortofageek
I feel terrible for you, sorto. So much so, I am at a loss for words, so God bless you, me and mama are praying for you, once she's had her sleep (Chinese New Year and fireworks there), I'll ask her to go light a candle and a half!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

3 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
The calls and visits are starting to slow, but I still had a blood draw and P.T. visit today. The P.T. is going to send a social worker to help me understand options available for help. 1 March my son leaves for China for a year or two, so all care will fall on my daughter who has a rather heavy systems administrator job. I'll do fine, I think if/when I can drive again, but may need some help getting to appointments.

P.T. will still work with me at home until I can manage stairs. I have nearly everything I need downstairs, can get in and out via the garage or back door, but the kitchen is up two half flights of stairs. We're managing for now with that, but it will overload my daughter quickly if she has to take me to every appointment, do all my shopping, dress the wound every day, help me with bathing and shampoos.

I have to figure a way to give her some relief.

I can navigate to the computer now, but it just takes so much time to do everything, I'm still not doing much other than bills and the necessities.

Somebody, just tell me when I can drive again, please? That would give me hope.

Thanks so much, all my friends, for the prayers, well wishes and for helping me laugh.
--

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

2 recommendations

You will be able to drive, but you will have to learn to use your left leg for braking, but only AFTER your Dr. clears you for "weight bearing" on the joint. It's extremely important that you don't re-injure, or crush the healing bone/cartilage.

Let it heal first! You and your PT will do the exercises necessary to get back range of motion, and muscle tone, that has atrophied, (which will be significant).

Look for around ten weeks before you will be allowed to start placing any weight on it, and possibly six months, or more before full recovery and weight bearing. It will take time.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Thanks, Russ. I hadn't been able to get even a general idea of when I might be able to get myself to appointments and to do simple errands. Once I can do that, it will take a lot of pressure off my daughter.

The P.T. is visiting and giving me isometric exercises for now. I'm doing them, no worries. I am also being very careful to avoid re-injuring. I really don't want to make the process longer or worse.

It's just that I'll be glad when I can free up my daughter as much as possible. She has a really heavy job and it started getting heavier on Monday when half the IT Department was laid off. Half the department was one person as they only had two before the layoffs. She's sort of in shock since the person laid off was the one who hired her a couple of years ago. He had been with the company 10 years.

Naturally, this puts even more work and responsibility on her, so I want to avoid her having to take time off to cart me to appointments, etc.
--