Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24
reply to rusdi

Re: I am so sorry

said by rusdi:

I did, and I did!!

I suspected it would have been a sure bet. I'm thinking he knew it was, too.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

"Things are lookin' up!"

Glad to hear your situation is improving...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to sortofageek
Good things! I will continue the prayers of chourse and my Alain will do her's too. She's quite the prayer warrior...

I got the riot act from MY doctor today. I've changed my ways to a good extent but still no weight loss so I've got to bear down harder, durn it!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

Pete is right.

Finally somebody got it right!!! (This really should be posted in all my threads/responses)

Just kidding! I am real happy to hear that your daughter is doing better! It does sound like perhaps in all the commotion she simply missed an injection.

My sister in law Barb has siezures...well controlled with meds, and she is very diligent, but still once every few years or so she'll miss her dosage due to some distracting circumstance and have a doozy of a siezure.
--
Deeds, not words

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Yeh, it has been a puzzle to her doctor that she goes into ketoacidosis when her blood sugar goes high. It was high when they picked her up, but not as high as people sometimes go. In the 300s somewhere. That has happened twice, when she was diagnosed and now.

They said the tests show she missed a dose, most likely Monday. And then, trying to handle it herself, she was trying to come back too fast. She has better info on that now, knows how to size the extra insulin doses to more gradually even things out again. So, maybe she'll know how to handle it herself if it happens again. Best, of course, is for it to never happen again.

This is why her doctor called her type 1 1/2 when she was diagnosed. Type IIs don't typically have that ketoacidosis extra feature. :/

A seizure sounds even scarier, although seeing my daughter in that breathless state really brings home how this awful disease just keeps trying to kill its victims.

I really appreciated your post, Pete. I was so frightened.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

5 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
Updates

Daughter is nearly recovered. Still tires easily and still dealing with some swelling in legs and ankles. Blood sugars beautiful.

I had my 6-week checkup yesterday. Sadly, xrays don't show the healing necessary to start the process of weight bearing. I am now cleared for whatever range of motion improvement exercises my P.T. wants me to do. Stop at the point of pain and push again tomorrow, but no weight on that knee. I guess this is where it gets painful, Russ?

He stressed that there is no way to predict when one gets to which stage with this kind of injury. Every case is diffferent and my fracture was severe, so there is no surprise it may take longer than others to heal.

The good news is that I had achieved range of motion allowed by the brace and that brace is now off. Easier dressing/showering. While I could drive, he and my daughter worked to convince me it just is too risky right now considering the driveway incline. One episode of coming down on that foot could set me back to another surgery and starting over.

So I need to just make the best of the gains so far and wait to see what the xrays say in four weeks.

However slowly, things are looking up. I'll try to concentrate on the "cans" and not the "can'ts," probably a good thing to remember for life in general.
--

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Thanks for the update. Am still sending good thoughts your way.
said by sortofageek:

... I'll try to concentrate on the "cans" and not the "can'ts," probably a good thing to remember for life in general.

Definitely.
--
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware. Doug Larson

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

I guess this is where it gets painful, Russ?

He stressed that there is no way to predict when one gets to which stage with this kind of injury. Every case is diffferent and my fracture was severe, so there is no surprise it may take longer than others to heal.

It will be painful, during the stretching, and weight-lifting exercises, but not unbearable. I suggest you do as much as you can stand, however. The more you can do now, makes it easier later, believe me!

Listen to the Dr. He's absolutely right! (Obviously). "Every case is different". I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my leg, for ten weeks, then a graduated increase of ten Lbs. every week after, until "full weight bearing". It's been seven months for me, and I still have a slight limp, and minimal muscle atrophy. I walk about a half mile daily now, but it's taken a LONG time to get here. My tibia fracture wasn't near as bad as yours, so you may need longer recovery and therapy.

Happy to hear your daughter is better. You will get better too, in time.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 recommendations

Well, the next appointment is at ten weeks. I am trying to remember not to expect your timeline to work for me since it really was a very complex fracture. I should remember I am fortunate I got one of the very best orthopedic trauma surgeons in this area because he just happened to be on call that weekend. I think it is absolutely amazing what he was able to do in two hours using a couple of probes inserted through tiny incisions and working to rebuild that tibia plateau through a another series of small incisions.

I suppose it will be even more amazing if I don't end up with a limp.

I'm trying to do the work. I am fairly oblivious to that kind of pain as long as I know it doesn't mean I broke my bones again. He made it pretty clear that I am not going to rebreak it as long as I don't put weight on it. That helps.

Even without the P.T., however, I work pretty hard to continually make the trips up and down the stairs, dragging stuff with me. This house was not built with the thought of accommodating an individual with this kind of handicap. I fall into bed absolutely exhausted every night and I never get everything done I planned to do.

Yesterday included a treat, though. I went to the grocery store with my daughter. While she proved her point that was hard enough even with her there to drive and manage the walker for me, the little motorized "bumper car" was FUN! For me. There were several two-legged humans who might have a better understanding of traumatization as a result. Oooops, but WHEEEEEEEE!

I always wanted to try one of those.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

4 recommendations

Ten weeks/five days post op:

I am cleared for PWB (partial weight bearing,) 25% for two weeks, stop if I feel pain. If that goes well, then 50% for the next two weeks, same rules. More xrays in 4 wks and then, probably, FWB.

He didn't measure, but watched while I showed off leg bend (flexion) and extension, was very pleased with my ROM, said I am well beyond where I really have to be to start this and it should get better as I relearn how to walk.

I am making myself wait until tomorrow until my homecare PT comes to help me figure out how to start this.
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
Wonderful!

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
reply to sortofageek
Excellent news! Sounds like you've been working hard.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Actually, I have felt like I was slacking. It's hard to know what is good hurt, what is bad until you know you are healing. Perhaps what has helped me most is the fact I worked out rather regularly in the years before the accident.

Oh, I couldn't resist taking a few quick steps on that leg with walker assist tonight. It felt good to put the foot down. I really should wait for the PT before I do too much, though.
--

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by sortofageek:

Oh, I couldn't resist taking a few quick steps on that leg with walker assist tonight. It felt good to put the foot down. I really should wait for the PT before I do too much, though.

OK!!!!
You don't wanna re-injure that leg joint, do ya?
How would you like to start all over, after yet ANOTHER surgery?

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

I think that's Sister Margaret from my grammar school days. Most nuns would beat you with a ruler, Sister Margaret would punch the kids in the mouth.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 recommendations

reply to rusdi
No worries, Russie. Doc did say stop at pain. I didn't have any.

Also, my PT actually has given me a couple of demonstrations of what it looks like starting PWB with walker assist, so I'm reasonably certain I didn't hurt anything.

I will keep a sharp lookout for Howie's Sister Margaret, however!
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
said by sortofageek:

... my PT actually has given me a couple of demonstrations of what it looks like starting PWB ...

That's reassuring.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

3 recommendations

Everyone can relax. I have done 11 weeks being helpless and often feeling hopeless waiting for the bones to heal enough to let me start walking. There is no way I would throw that away.

In my case, because of the injury and a couple of other conditions preceding the accident, this is probably a one-shot deal. It either works or it doesn't. If it does not, then I am most likely looking at TKR (total knee replacement). I know very little about that, but my doc seems to think it isn't the best solution right now for me, if we can make this work.

Being aware of that has kept me careful.
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by sortofageek:

Everyone can relax. I have done 11 weeks being helpless and often feeling hopeless waiting for the bones to heal enough to let me start walking. There is no way I would throw that away.

Speaking as someone who once re-broke a bone while it was still in a cast, I say that you have the right attitude there!
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

It can always happen by accident and we all have them. There are a couple of good support areas on the web specifically for tibial plateau fractures. I am amazed how many more risks the young ones are willing to take compared to me.

How did you do that, anyway?

-------
My homecare PT came over late morning as soon as she got the report on me and helped me practice what I'm doing the next two weeks, in addition to the exercise routine I already have.

I want to keep going and going, it feels so good to be able to even pretend to walk now, see that I can still get the coordination going. I'm taking it easy to start. Short periods of my new "walking," then feet up, trying to gauge how much is too much, how much is not.

Having a happy day, but at 4pm I'm getting pretty tired. Such a wimp.
--

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by sortofageek:

How did you do that, anyway?

Glad to hear you're having a happy day!

As for my mishap, I had a cast on my hand and made a lunging catch of a big book that was falling ... It didn't work out well. Live and learn.
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
I can relate, having ended up in this situation due to impulsive leap to action.

My daughter periodically reminds me, NO MORE CHASING CARS!

You, too, kiddo'.
--

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
Got hit by a truck once. Compound fracture,through the skin,of both tibia and fibula of my right leg. It hurt! But wait!.....Theres more!.....2 weeks later it had to be re bwoked and set again as they screwed it up the first time. Then there was the infection.,....

6 months in a full leg cast and 3 months learning to walk properly again. Still painful today,many years after the fact.
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
That's the "awfullest," Icky. Horror story. This didn't mess with the tibial plateau? If not, that's a little miracle there.
--

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
Off Center
Not to the best of my recollection. Shattered just about everything else below it though.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
That is a very long time dealing with such an injury. Sure hope you got full recovery?

And why did the truck hit you? I think I probably would have died of fright right there.
--

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
Off Center
Nearly a full recovery as far as use and range of motion but has caused a lifetime of pain. I was young and stepped.....actually ran in front of the truck and then crawled outta the road before the next one came along narrowly missing me. Also broke all my fingers,except thumbs,bouncing off the side of the truck and the road.

The year before that I cut my hand 3/4 off.....but thats another story entirely!
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

... Such a wimp.

No way!

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
reply to Icarus
You people live dangerously!

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to squirt
said by squirt:

... Live and learn.

So you don't try to catch falling books anymore?