how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ariez

join:2004-01-09

installer file

win7
is it possible to see where an installer file is saving the program being downloaded/installed so a copy of it can be saved? would like to have a copy of the programs exe file for future reference.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

If you haven't changed where to save the downloads, they should be in the Download folder (default). Personally, I have most downloads (such as program exe's) save to Desktop as I find it easier to execute the installer from there. Afterwards, if it's something I want to keep, I just drag the installer to the Download folder to save it for possible future use.

Pictures may save to a Picture folder, and Documents to the Document folder unless you change that destination.

Edit: Download folder: C:\users\your name\downloads.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
reply to ariez

User>AppData>Local>Temp ...

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

That folder is empty. Nothing downloads to there.

ariez

join:2004-01-09
reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

User>AppData>Local>Temp ...

thanks but I looked in there and it seemed like it was extracted files from the installer file. I'm looking to be able to save the full program in .exe when using a site that uses a stub installer. It seems more sites are unfortunately now using stub installers instead of just having the programs downloadable

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

Where the stub installer places the content it downloads is at the discretion of the developer and could be any number of places, there is no fixed location, though %temp% is highly likely. It may also purge the content when it's done, in fact if it's well behaved, you'd want it to. Avoid using stub installers and go for the full installer whenever you can, though.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to ariez

What program & link?

A "stub" installer would typically download the actual program into %TMP% (or subdirectory thereof).

If it is a GAOTD item, they now use a "wrapper" (Themida) that makes it extremely difficult to get the actual installer. Even so, there could be other options available.

GAOTD aside, typically once you're at the first UI screen of the actual program, & before proceeding any further, you're likely to be able to find the actual installer setup file.