how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fkd

@203.143.18.x

Bank of America Passcode Requirements

Hi,

I've been using Bank of America online banking for awhile. But for the past couple of months I didn't logged in, and though I want to log in now, I don't remember the passcode. Because of specific passcode restrictions I sometimes deviate from my normal passcode structure which is probably the case here.

So, can anyone please provide the requirements for Bank of America passcode? Does it not allow special characters like &, %, * etc.?

Thanks.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

1 recommendation

It would probably be best just to send for another code by saying you forgot it »safe.bankofamerica.com/login/res···creen.go

fkd

@203.143.18.x

Yea.. I'm just worried that it would require a big process like going to the bank etc. Can we just do the Passcode reset via the email address?

Concerned

@nasa.gov
reply to fkd

fkd your sig whos 203.114,18.x which is in Sri Lanka
inetnum: 203.143.0.0 - 203.143.63.255
netname: LANKACOMM-LK
descr: Lanka Comunication Services (Pvt) Ltd
descr: 65C Dharmapala Mawatha, Colombo 07
descr: Sri Lanka

Do they have branches there ?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

2 recommendations

reply to fkd

Here is the info they have right online in their FAQ:

»www.bankofamerica.com/onlinebank···_sp=#q10

quote:
What if I forgot or need to change my Online Banking Passcode?

If you forget your passcode, you can change or reset it by visiting the Reset Passcode link from the Bank of America homepage. In order to change or reset your passcode, you will need to provide your Social Security number, your Bank of America ATM or debit card personal identification number (PIN), and your SiteKey.
When you reset the passcode - it will tell you any requirements and what characters are allowed.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain
Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

Re: Bank of America Passcode Requirements

said by dsilvers:

@concerned....Good catch.

New anonymous poster requests information regarding how to reset Bank of America password from an IP in Sri Lanka!!!!

Edit for clarity

it can happen...
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

fkd

@203.143.18.x
reply to Anon

said by dsilvers:

@concerned....Good catch.

New anonymous poster requests information regarding how to reset Bank of America password from an IP in Sri Lanka!!!!

Am I sensing stereotyping based on where I'm from??? I will not waste my time answering such questions. But it was so out of line to specify detailed info like the above!

Ps. i'm not trying to dig info so I can hack some accounts!

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

reply to fkd

said by fkd :

Yea.. I'm just worried that it would require a big process like going to the bank etc. Can we just do the Passcode reset via the email address?

You would have to ask B of A that as this is not a B of A website. As you can see there is good reason banks use a process to recover/reset a password for how many years now? The link to do that is on the login page itself.

Sorry we can't provide a way for you to steal account info. The banks out there have these things in place to prevent you from doing so.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to fkd

It's best to just contact the bank directly for help. Anything said here would still lead you to having to deal with the bank at some point. Might as well just do it now. When you try to login unsuccessfully, isn't there something like "Forgot password?" for help?

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

2 recommendations

reply to AVD

said by AVD :
it can happen...

Maybe

said by fkd :
Am I sensing stereotyping based on where I'm from???.

Get over it. You are posting in a security forum full of professional security paranoids. It has nothing to do with your race, religion, nationality, sexual preference or hair color.

In your defense a quick Google did turn up one Bank of America location in Sri Lanka.

Bank Of America
Gen 324 Galle Rd Colombo 3, Sri Lanka
Phone : 575080

WeenieAlso

join:2002-01-29
Pasadena, MD

1 recommendation

reply to fkd

How is it stereotyping ? You are in a country not in the U.S but want information on password requirements. You never answered if they have a branch there so I am assuming you may be on travel.

Again being the paranoid security guy , Most people register an email and could
1) Call to get reset
2) Email to get directions to reset
3) Visit the webpage and ask the Bank for help

You seemed to have done none of the above. To me you are trolling trying to get other people to help you.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to fkd

Oh, do you think that they tie their, not "SiteKey" passcode, but that other one (forgot the name) to your IP?

Either they do, or it must be coincidence.

Had logged into various accounts earlier.
DSL dropped (Verizon) & I'm sure when it started back up it had pulled a new IP.
And just now when I went to log into BoA, I had to go through that extra screen, the "mothers maiden name" deal, before I could get to the SiteKey passcode screen?

(When I get some time, I'll test that theory. Doesn't seem right, so could just be coincidence?)

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to WeenieAlso

> never answered if they have a branch there

I did look that up when the thread first came about, There are a total of 13 local banks and 6 international banks that are operations in Sri Lanka. But that list (FWIW) does not show BoA. I do now also see where you came up with your location. (Finding anything on BoA's site for foreign locations itself was futile, in the time I spent looking there.)

> assuming you may be on travel

Certainly a good possibility.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to AVD

it just did..........

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Concerned

said by Concerned :

inetnum: 203.143.0.0 - 203.143.63.255
netname: LANKACOMM-LK
descr: Lanka Comunication Services (Pvt) Ltd
descr: 65C Dharmapala Mawatha, Colombo 07
descr: Sri Lanka

Do they have branches there ?

Some of you folks damnation by IP would be humorous if you didn't take yourself so seriously.
What's the value of an anon's IP posted to this forum?
Ziltch.
What conclusions can be drawn from an anon's IP?
None.
Is the anon OP a threat to any banking site?
Judging from the question, no.
Am I feeding a troll?
Probably, but then again I'm not perfect either.

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to therube

Ha! Son of a gun, they're associating IP with the login, I'm pretty certain.
(Must have lost signal overnight, & so pulled new IP.)
Have not yet verified by manually pulling an IP, but it looks like it.
And if they're doing that, then that's asinine - at least for those that have dynamic IPs.

Unrecognized computer

Using a different computer than usual to sign in? Answer your challenge question so we can verify your identity.

Online ID:_xxxxxxxx_   Sign in using a different Online ID

What is your maternal grandmother's first name?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

You sure its not cookies on the machine?

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to AVD

It might be due to the particular URL used when logging in?

> »safe.bankofamerica.com/login/sig···ignOn.go

Looks to be tied into IP?

> »secure.bankofamerica.com/login/s···creen.go

IP change looks to not be an issue with that.

So "safe" vs "secure" & you end up with it reacting differently.

(BoA does/has changed from time to time the login used.)

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to fkd

If you have issues like you describe I suggest for the future you consider as one possible solution is to get a password manager, like Lastpass to name just one of the several good choices.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

fkd

@175.157.142.x
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

If you have issues like you describe I suggest for the future you consider as one possible solution is to get a password manager, like Lastpass to name just one of the several good choices.

Yea.. I agree on having a central password manager. I used to use Password manager that came with Firefox. It worked just fine. But moved to Chromium a while back. Alas, Chromium's password manager is just not even worth mentioning.

I'm not using/going to use LastPass for one reason. It's closed source!

fkd

@203.143.18.x
reply to therube

said by therube:

> never answered if they have a branch there

I did look that up when the thread first came about, There are a total of 13 local banks and 6 international banks that are operations in Sri Lanka.

Well, no, Sri Lanka does not have any branches of BofA nor a single BofA ATM. It seems the bank 'were' in Sri Lanka few decades ago based on some Google searches! The irony!

This has become an interesting place rather than a desperate attempt to seek answers for my half dead memory.

>> assuming you may be on travel
> Certainly a good possibility.

Before questioning, did any of the "paranoid" security professionals knew foreign nationals (wrt. USA) can open accounts with BofA? (I can not comment about others banks though). And the account holders don't have to reside in USA (specially when asking questions!! )?

Anyway, based on the BofA FAQ link @CylonRed provided, acct holder must have a SSN to reset?? God bless if a foreigner forgot her passcode!! I guess at least some paranoid people will understand why I don't want to start "forget password" process without a background check! //running to write down my password on a piece of paper//

Was I trolling before? Nope. How about now? May be.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fkd

BOA currently does not maintain a direct banking presence in the Indian Ocean region of the world. So I doubt you're going to dig out of such a hole easily, unless you can find some documentation referencing how to contact BOA directly, either on your log-in page or in your possession. In that case, you'll need an account number, address, and possibly other verification/contact information relevant to specific account ownership. If you've been using Bank of America "for awhile", you should have some kind of paper or eMail trail from establishing the account, various transactions or summaries, tax information/reports, etc. that contain some BOA addresses, eMail addresses, or phone contact numbers. That's where you need to start. Unfortunately, the two BOA online 'contact' websites of which I'm aware auto-redirect via sniffing my IP to a US-based state lookup page. You might have better success trying either one from outside the US and hopefully they'll give you a starting point-of-contact:
»www.bankofamerica.com/contactus/contactus.go
www1.bankofamerica.com/contact/

Alternatively, if you in fact know of how foreign nationals can now open a BOA account, pursue that path and explain there what your situation is with your current account.

As far as giving you hints about BOA's password construction, it would be foolish of anyone here to do that given the uncertainty of who you really are and your possible intent. There are simply too many hackers continually trying to crack into online accounts for anyone with security experience to run that risk.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

fkd

@111.223.190.x
reply to therube

A previous reply to this thread didn't get through the review process. But I think I have to mention these things.

1. No, Sri Lanka don't have a BofA branch nor ATMs from it.

2. You don't need to be travelling to ask the original question

3. And, FWIW, it was a valid question for me. And, I'm not expecting answer for that anymore.

4. Foreign nationals (wrt. USA) can open accounts with BofA too, you know?

5. @Cthen - I know there is a "reset passcode" button in the sign in page. Give me some credit, mate!

6. It seems it's quite impossible for foreign nationals (wrt. USA) with no branches of the bank in the country to reset password... Because, as per the FAQ in BofA, you must need SSN. »www.bankofamerica.com/onlinebank···_sp=#q10

You may consider the last point as a statement or a question!

fkd

@111.223.151.x
reply to Blackbird

@Blackbird thanks for the two links provided. But mine also goes to a page asking US state which is not a problem for me.

I understand if you don't want to provide what are the restrictions when creating a passcode, but is it such a big deal? Yea, anyone may think it would bring a hacker a step closer to cracking an account. But does it really? You may be thinking "may be it's 'safer' if I don't tell that kind of thing!!". I'm not a security professional. May be this would help in a brute-force attack on hashed passwords, but, will a hacker capable of stealing hashed passwords really need to ask around about the passcode requirements? I'm yet to hear a proper reason.

To say about opening bank accounts with BofA by foreigners, it's pretty simple. Though it seems references in the web are pretty low. I'm pretty sure we can't open an account remotely from another country given the Know Your Customer rules banks adopt. So, you got to go to a branch to open an account. There, you should mainly provide the passport, have a valid USA address, and reason for travelling to USA. Then, you can have a debit card ( given the account type you choose provides it). This provides an ideal way to keep money safe during the stay. This can be used outside USA too.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

said by fkd :

... I understand if you don't want to provide what are the restrictions when creating a passcode, but is it such a big deal? Yea, anyone may think it would bring a hacker a step closer to cracking an account. But does it really? You may be thinking "may be it's 'safer' if I don't tell that kind of thing!!".... but, will a hacker capable of stealing hashed passwords really need to ask around about the passcode requirements? I'm yet to hear a proper reason.

To say about opening bank accounts with BofA by foreigners, it's pretty simple. Though it seems references in the web are pretty low. I'm pretty sure we can't open an account remotely from another country given the Know Your Customer rules banks adopt. So, you got to go to a branch to open an account. There, you should mainly provide the passport, have a valid USA address, and reason for travelling to USA. Then, you can have a debit card ( given the account type you choose provides it). This provides an ideal way to keep money safe during the stay. This can be used outside USA too.

It depends on the hacker. Not all hackers are created equal, nor are their tools... some are just starting out to test their bytes and their software tools may not be the best... so they'll look for anything folks will hand them to tilt the cracking process a little further in their favor. One of the time-honored ways of getting something handed to them is to go to forums and ask, a lot of folks being inherently helpful sorts. And yes, the more known about how passwords are constructed, the easier it becomes to crack them - at least for hacker newbies with simpler tools.

You're posting in a forum of security-focused individuals... many of them know all this, and they're sceptical of anonymous or new-member postings that ask for password-construction tips about an existing target - regardless of the reasons offered. As you've observed, there are all manner of ID elements and/or in-person appearance required to open a new account... why would you believe the process would be a whole lot simpler to obtain access to an existing, already-funded account? What remains a mystery is why you appear to have no records from setting up your account, creating its password, or accessing it over time. Those records would contain information about contacting BOA from overseas with regard to the account. According to your own words:
quote:
It seems the bank 'were' in Sri Lanka few decades ago based on some Google searches!
Based on some Google searches? All you've echoed back to folks here so far is public information you obtained by searching online. How did you open your account if not in person, where are your records if you did, where is your information and confirmations regarding your transactions from the account, and why shouldn't all this peculiarity and lack of information make folks in this forum suspicious of your story?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville