uniqs

fkd
@203.143.18.x

fkd to Blackbird

Anon

to Blackbird

Re: Bank of America Passcode Requirements

said by Blackbird:

You're posting in a forum of security-focused individuals... many of them know all this, and they're sceptical of anonymous or new-member postings that ask for password-construction tips about an existing target - regardless of the reasons offered. As you've observed, there are all manner of ID elements and/or in-person appearance required to open a new account... why would you believe the process would be a whole lot simpler to obtain access to an existing, already-funded account? What remains a mystery is why you appear to have no records from setting up your account, creating its password, or accessing it over time. Those records would contain information about contacting BOA from overseas with regard to the account. According to your own words:

quote:
It seems the bank 'were' in Sri Lanka few decades ago based on some Google searches!
Based on some Google searches? All you've echoed back to folks here so far is public information you obtained by searching online. How did you open your account if not in person, where are your records if you did, where is your information and confirmations regarding your transactions from the account, and why shouldn't all this peculiarity and lack of information make folks in this forum suspicious of your story?

I know there is no branches of BofA because the bank officer I worked when opening the account told me. But I found that there were a branch here few years ago. Sorry my comment doesn't clearly say that!

I opened my bank account when I was in US. So, all my references, and mail records point to things that consider account holder is a US resident (or more specifically, the acct holder should have a SSN). That certainly wasn't the case when opening an account. We can of course sort things out when we go to US again, but until then?
I implicitly said I created this account in US in previous comments. Read "It seems it's quite impossible for foreign nationals (wrt. USA) with no branches of the bank in the country to reset password..." and
the para starting with "...opening bank accounts with BofA by foreigners..."

Forgive me for my stupid question. But, does this forum has security measures that makes registered 'new' members more trustful than anon users? Some guy already posted my ip details.

PS: I don't have a need to contact them anymore, but I would have if I needed because I had enough time these days.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by fkd :

... I know there is no branches of BofA because the bank officer I worked when opening the account told me. But I found that there were a branch here few years ago. Sorry my comment doesn't clearly say that!

I opened my bank account when I was in US. So, all my references, and mail records point to things that consider account holder is a US resident (or more specifically, the acct holder should have a SSN). That certainly wasn't the case when opening an account. We can of course sort things out when we go to US again, but until then? I implicitly said I created this account in US in previous comments. Read "It seems it's quite impossible for foreign nationals (wrt. USA) with no branches of the bank in the country to reset password..." and the para starting with "...opening bank accounts with BofA by foreigners..."

Forgive me for my stupid question. But, does this forum has security measures that makes registered 'new' members more trustful than anon users? Some guy already posted my ip details.

PS: I don't have a need to contact them anymore, but I would have if I needed because I had enough time these days.

Had you shared all that at the very outset, perhaps the reactions here would have been more... uhmm, "user friendly"? In any case, I doubt that you would have gotten much information about password structure regardless, since your story would be impossible for those here to verify, thus impossible to distinguish from some script-kiddie out fishing for cracking info.

With regard to this security forum (and probably most others), anonymous and new-member posts are viewed with a measure of scepticism since anyone can post or sign up with no real verification trail (other than IP and an eMail address). If one is a longer-term member, that at least provides a measure of stability and a mild assurance the user is not as likely to be a spur-of-the-moment kiddie, out to hack some target that's just caught his interest.

As far as somebody publishing your IP info here, that info is public record and accessible by anyone via a simple 'whois' check on the web, and the IP itself appears below all anonymous posting icons on every forum post. And, while even an IP can be (and often is) spoofed by a hacker, it did make the poster's point that something was suspicious about your post, given that you were asking for password info on the Bank of America from an IP well outside the US.

At this point, my advice to you would have been to send a certified/registered letter to BOA headquarters, explaining your account information and asking for contact information. But, as you've noted, "I don't have a need to contact them anymore," so the only remaining question in my mind might be why you ran this thread in the first place...?
Expand your moderator at work