Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sdabuser

join:2013-02-07
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

Comcast Redirect Problem

Recently, Firefox has been redirecting to search.comcast.net (instead of Google) when I use the google field on the default homepage. Please help! Thanks in advance!
Expand your moderator at work

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to sdabuser

Re: Comcast Redirect Problem

said by sdabuser:

Recently, Firefox has been redirecting to search.comcast.net (instead of Google) when I use the google field on the default homepage. Please help! Thanks in advance!

It would help to know what you are using for your default homepage. It would also help to know what search engine you have configured Firefox to use.

I don't use Firefox, but I do use another Mozilla browser called SeaMonkey. Shown below are the setup screens that show the information above; I am sure that Firefox has something similar.

This site also has a »Mozilla Software forum where you are more likely to get help for a Firefox problem than you are in this forum. There is also a »Security Cleanup forum in case your problem is caused by malware instead of a fat fingered Firefox configuration.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

sdabuser

join:2013-02-07
Beverly Hills, CA
At the direction of a contributer on another site, I did post this to the SCU forum, along with logs of all the programs we're asked to run. I'm not sure why this was moved to the Comcast forum and the logs were all deleted.

I've already verified that this is a redirect malware and not fat fingered. As I said, it's supposed to go to Google and it does not.

Is there any way to get this moved back to where I originally posted it and have the logs re-posted? I'm not at my infected machine at the moment.

I spent hours on this last night, so this is a bit disappointing.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by sdabuser:

At the direction of a contributer on another site, I did post this to the SCU forum, along with logs of all the programs we're asked to run. I'm not sure why this was moved to the Comcast forum and the logs were all deleted.

I've already verified that this is a redirect malware and not fat fingered. As I said, it's supposed to go to Google and it does not.

Is there any way to get this moved back to where I originally posted it and have the logs re-posted? I'm not at my infected machine at the moment.

I spent hours on this last night, so this is a bit disappointing.

Why your thread was moved to the Comcast HSI forum (and getting it moved back to the SCU forum) would be something you would need to discuss privately with the respective forum moderators.

However, being redirected to search.comcast.net is not something that would typically by done by malware since that is a legitimate Comcast search page. Do you perchance have the Comcast toolbar installed on your PC? Or perhaps the Comcast Comstant Guard application (which might have installed a toolbar, or modified your default search engine)?

My guess is that possibly someone in the SCU forum saw evidence of the Comcast toolbar in the log entries that were deleted, and that was why your thread was moved to the Comcast HSI forum. But, without being able to see those logs, that is pure speculation.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.