Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to DanteX

Premium Member

to DanteX

Re: Google Fiber

WIND is on life support. It's not fair to expect them to offer anything except wireless until they put their money in their mouth at the 700MHz auction.

The big 3 on the other hand, are probably going to build FTTH to Canadians before Google ever thinks of it. Look at Bell, they are pulling out copper now and replacing it with fiber because its less expensive and lasts 100 years instead of 30. In 15 years at least half of Canada will have FTTH. And by that time 10Gbit will be standard. Management will change, like it always does, and there will be more competition around, so the prices will come down too.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by BliZZardX:

WIND is on life support. It's not fair to expect them to offer anything except wireless until they put their money in their mouth at the 700MHz auction.

The big 3 on the other hand, are probably going to build FTTH to Canadians before Google ever thinks of it. Look at Bell, they are pulling out copper now and replacing it with fiber because its less expensive and lasts 100 years instead of 30. In 15 years at least half of Canada will have FTTH. And by that time 10Gbit will be standard. Management will change, like it always does, and there will be more competition around, so the prices will come down too.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, how exactly is WIND on life support?

They're currently sitting pretty with around 600,000 subscribers. Have they plateaued at the moment? I'm sure they have however, I don't see adding 200,000 subscribers over a year as being on "life support".

I doubt WIND is going anywhere anytime soon.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by nekkidtruth:

said by BliZZardX:

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, how exactly is WIND on life support?

They're currently sitting pretty with around 600,000 subscribers. Have they plateaued at the moment? I'm sure they have however, I don't see adding 200,000 subscribers over a year as being on "life support".

I doubt WIND is going anywhere anytime soon.

they are primed to be bought out by rogers

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
Their projection was 1.5 million subscribers by the end of 2012. They did not meet their target. Since launch they had aggressive price competition from Mobilicity and most people are suspicious of Wind and Mobi because of the small handset selection, many reviews about the bad network (speed/coverage) and bad customer service. There has been a management shakeup, the Canadian CEO was asked to step down a few weeks ago, Globalive is pulling out and Orascom is bringing their own people in. Since then Wind re-priced their plans for the 3rd or 4th time. I think they are struggling to keep up the momentum.

do_it
@cogeco.net

do_it

Anon

If Google can run km's of fiber through big city's like Hamilton/Mississauga and the GTA core and offer it for $70/mnth power to them.

Their ROI for doing that much work and running that much fiber will take far to many years in my eyes.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

Their projection was 1.5 million subscribers by the end of 2012. They did not meet their target. Since launch they had aggressive price competition from Mobilicity and most people are suspicious of Wind and Mobi because of the small handset selection, many reviews about the bad network (speed/coverage) and bad customer service. There has been a management shakeup, the Canadian CEO was asked to step down a few weeks ago, Globalive is pulling out and Orascom is bringing their own people in. Since then Wind re-priced their plans for the 3rd or 4th time. I think they are struggling to keep up the momentum.

Fair enough. I'm not a WIND customer, I just wasn't seeing the overall picture. Laid out this way, it does in fact look like they're on "life support".

Interesting to see what happens.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX
In the long run I think Mobi and Public Mobile are more in trouble than WIND is in terms of business. WIND has some cash that they could use to start building an LTE network if they choose to do so and they have far more coverage than the newcomers, but unless they get better spectrum they will likely not always get the best phone selection and they are no longer interested in aggressively competing against the incumbents.