spc
uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to coxta

Anon

to coxta

Re: renouncing a succession from an estate

I've seen a family not wanting to claim a body before. Something about if one of the siblings claims the body then they assume the debt.

Wish I recalled how they got out of it and then finally claimed the body. Was too long ago. But it was pretty sad to see 3 kids fighting and not wanting to claim the body of their mother.

So yeah i've seen this before here, but don't recall the ins and outs of it. I think it was a funeral home who helped this family out w/ all the info.

So as far as I know, this type of thing should have been taken care of at time of death w/ help from someone at the hospital or funeral home. Surely one of them can call the gov and ask?
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by hm :

I've seen a family not wanting to claim a body before. Something about if one of the siblings claims the body then they assume the debt.

Wish I recalled how they got out of it and then finally claimed the body. Was too long ago. But it was pretty sad to see 3 kids fighting and not wanting to claim the body of their mother.

So yeah i've seen this before here, but don't recall the ins and outs of it. I think it was a funeral home who helped this family out w/ all the info.

So as far as I know, this type of thing should have been taken care of at time of death w/ help from someone at the hospital or funeral home. Surely one of them can call the gov and ask?

If you claim the body and sign for the funeral home, that falls outside of the estate and the person who signs the paper owes the funeral home that money, at least in Ontario.

Beyond that, it is cheaper to get a lawyer to do things right upfront (even at $1000), than to later find out and have to fight things at a much greater cost. I don't know how Quebec law works, but if there is nothing in the estate then the Executor is not responsible for the debts personally (unless they wasted what little there was in that kind of estate) at least in Ontario.