how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to elkido122

Re: Netflix Super HD and alternatives

Hmm.. So Netflix is just going by DNS hits... I dunno if this is good or bad.

Wonder how this will impact the long term use of third party DNS like google or OpenDNS... For now they seem not to work...

Petermjjh

join:2005-04-03
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I dont think they are going just by DNS hits. I feel like unblock-us is modifying some DNS packets, but I have no data to support this.

This morning I wasn't getting the same high bit-rates on my roku that I did yesterday morning. I know know if it was a fluke or netflix is working to stop this or what.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to AnonMan
said by AnonMan :

Hmm.. So Netflix is just going by DNS hits... I dunno if this is good or bad.

Wonder how this will impact the long term use of third party DNS like google or OpenDNS... For now they seem not to work...

Based on my understanding of "How Things Work":

For Netflix access from ISPs not on Open Connect, Netflix, like other CDNs, routes you to one of their server farms based on the DNS you use; so you will likely be routed on third-party transit.

For Netflix access from ISPs on Open Connect, because the Netflix servers are located on the ISP transit network, you will be routed directly to their servers without leaving the ISP transit network.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to AnonMan
said by AnonMan :

Hmm.. So Netflix is just going by DNS hits...

As bigjoesmith See Profile pointed out above, unblock-us takes the DNS requests and generates replies that direct the traffic to their proxies.

It works because the data centers that unblock-us has its servers in have connectivity to the OpenConnect network, so the proxies are allowed via source IP.

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA

1 recommendation

I have been using it for the last couple of days (taking advantage of their 7 day free trial). It is somewhat hit or miss whether you get the Super HD servers. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

One way to check is if you are able to play the 'Example Short 23.976' then you are connected to the SuperHD servers. You can see the streaming rate within the title and should ramp up to 5800 kbps if you have the bandwidth.

Another way to check is if your router is connecting to nflxvideo.net domain then you are connected to the Super HD servers.

When I do get Super HD it looks good on real titles. If this was reliable it might be worth 4.99 a month to get Super HD with Comcast - but for now (at least in my experience) it only works some of the time.

mikeyts

@cox.net
We've been discussing the use of Unblock-US for getting Netflix Super HD video encodes in a thread at AVS Forum starting with this post. I've come up with a procedure which works for getting them with any 1080p-capable Netflix player that I have and posted it here. It's a PITA but do-able by the hardcore and determined .