For those following along...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to ehenry
Looks like you uploaded the thumbnails...

ehenry

join:2007-11-07
Gilson, IL

1 recommendation

reply to ehenry
Finally!

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to ehenry
There are two more pics but they dont seem to want to upload

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to ehenry
Click for full size
As request by John.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to ehenry
I've worked on many ATS devices...on gensets in the MW class, but the electronic hardware for the ATS is the same regardless of the main switch rating, generally speaking.

I read your thread over on the other site and this stands out to me:

quote:
"In situations like this I clean and torque every single connection in the whole rig, then resume testing as that at least ensures your wiring ends are in good contact."
When I was a young pup I always wanted to know WHY the problem occured. As I grew older and wiser I was simply satisfied to get the gear back online. I learned that by loosening and re-tightening -all- of the connections (as stated above) it sometimes 'fixes' things.

Part of the problem is that crap forms on the connections and you just can't see it. By mechanically moving the connection, you break through the invisible film and reestablish the electrical connections.

Helpful hint: NEVER remove the wires from more than one terminal at a time since 'bad things' can happen if you make a mistake. Loosen the screw, remove the wire(s), check the termination, reinsert and carefully re-tighten. Work slowly, carefully and methodically. It's not a race (unless people are dying in the operating room )

I'd also suggest having a good light and magnifying glass with you so you can REALLY check everything. I have caught wire/connector failures that a person wouldn't have seen otherwise.

I've spent most of the day reviewing the manual and schematics in depth, and insofar as you have replaced the mobo and the daughterboards with known good boards, I'm thinking the loosen/tighten process holds the most promise...that, and the confirmation that the aux switches are correctly installed.

BTW, post the EricWood #23 documents here...registrations are manual so it might take a day or two for me to be able to see those. Thx...
--
Nothing makes an American want to do something more than telling them they can't.

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to ehenry
Here is the thread on a seperate forum....if you guys would like to look this over and see if we have missed anything.

»www.smokstak.com/forum/showthrea···st884787

ehenry

Gilson, IL

1 recommendation

reply to ehenry
Click for full size
downloadOT III 962-0512.pdf 1,565,333 bytes
Here is the manual....schematics are on the last few pages. The motherboard on my OT is a 3090 model.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to ehenry
Post some clear pics of the schematics...

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to ehenry
Click for full size
Mother board has been replaced
Click for full size
The two relays and transformers are next on the chopping block
Click for full size
Circuit breaker for actuated motor has been replaced
Click for full size
Inside view
I have all but rebuilt this transfer switch....indeed I have found myself in a mess....lol.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to ehenry
FYI there is a large community of Onan experts here:

»www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to Mike_27
said by Mike_27:

here's a service manual which covers your genset.
»michaelstractors.com/forum/uploa···nual.pdf

This is definitely a more detailed manual than the one I have. I look this over tonight to see if I missed anything. Thanks.

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

What are the documents in the bottom of the cabinet?

Documents is the manual for the transfer switch. Keep in mind I have went thru all steps of the troubleshooting manual and replaced all recommended parts.

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to 54067323
Frequency is fine

Mike_27
Premium
join:2004-05-15
Gardiner, MT

1 recommendation

reply to ehenry
here's a service manual which covers your genset.
»michaelstractors.com/forum/uploa···nual.pdf

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to ehenry
What are the documents in the bottom of the cabinet?

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to ehenry
said by ehenry:

I can check the freguency with my Fluke...but checking RPM may be a different task. Any ideas?

Check the frequency, as it is based upon the RPM's of the genset, if the frequency is off, then you will need to determime how to adjust the RPM's.

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to 54067323
said by 54067323:

Make sure it's running at the correct RPM and the frequency is 60Hz, if that is too high or to low it will run but not transfer.

I can check the freguency with my Fluke...but checking RPM may be a different task. Any ideas?

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to ehenry
Click for full size
Panel number.
Click for full size
Open door of Transfer Panel
Click for full size
Motherboard. Card #3 is under/over voltage. It is replaced. Issue not resolved.
Click for full size
Linear Motor replaced. Capacitor and breaker behind panel replaced as well.
OTCU70B38G is the transfer panel part number.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to ehenry
Make sure it's running at the correct RPM and the frequency is 60Hz, if that is too high or to low it will run but not transfer.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to ehenry
Can you post the nameplate information?

Looking for the manual online...

ehenry

Gilson, IL
reply to ehenry
assume your talking about the breaker that gets switched during transfer to take load from primary power to emergency power? If thats the cause i can manually switch breaker and the generator will take load. The motor is not being activated to automatically move the breaker.

jlester

join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.
reply to ehenry
How bout the main load breaker between generator and transfer switch? I had a Generac fail and had the same situation.
J

ehenry

Gilson, IL
I have an old Onan JB Series backup generators. It has ran like a champ during all storms until a few weeks ago. I started getting alarms of the generator not transferring load during its excersise and than later on that week the power to the site went down. The generator will start but will not transfer. When the power came back on the transfer switch recognizes it and shuts the generator off. I have replaced the actuated motor that throws the transfer and the capacitor that runs it. I have also replaced the under/over voltage board but to no avail. I will post some pics later after my last attempt at the this site but if anyone has any ideas on this issue please share.