how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheGlow

join:2004-04-19
Brooklyn, NY

Constant time freezes on Samsung boxes, Brooklyn NYC

I moved a year ago from one section of Brooklyn and Fios to this Time Warner horror death trap.
I'm across the street from the Cablevision cutoff line. I had issues with Cablevision before but jeez, I didn't know someone could be worse.
Besides the constant voicemails and taking nearly 2 weeks to get someone out because they kept insisting I was in a Cablevision zone, I finally get some cable in and internet.
I work in IT so I have a decent understanding whats going on. I don't have the exact model numbers on hand but they were samsung boxes, one is DVR and I see the HDD in there.
My main gripe is very often the timer on the front panel will freeze. You pass by, oh, 3:20, i got an hour until (insert activity here). Pass by a little later, 3:20, oh good, i have an hour...
wait, 3:20? Check something else, damn, its 5:10.
Also this sometimes leads to the channel guide being empty as it wont know the time, or it will have the correct time. Only way back is to hard boot it by pulling the power cord.
That brings us to 5-9 min boot time land.
And both boxes will take turns doing this.
Sometimes when closing the channel guide, the mini preview window in the corner gets stuck black and stays that way until I hard boot or wait about 15-20 mins.

Also the cable modem constantly loses connection. Often to the point of I cant even connect to it from 192.168.100.1 so I know it's not me. also the log page is full of errors, dhcp usually.

I see some mentions of different boxes performing better. Any suggestions on a preferred dvr, normal box and modem if applicable?

Only other option is DirecTV and Verizon DSL. And as bad as TWC is, I'd like to steer clear of that combo.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

1 edit

said by TheGlow:

I moved a year ago from one section of Brooklyn and Fios to this Time Warner horror death trap.
I'm across the street from the Cablevision cutoff line. I had issues with Cablevision before but jeez, I didn't know someone could be worse.
Besides the constant voicemails and taking nearly 2 weeks to get someone out because they kept insisting I was in a Cablevision zone, I finally get some cable in and internet.
I work in IT so I have a decent understanding whats going on. I don't have the exact model numbers on hand but they were samsung boxes, one is DVR and I see the HDD in there.
My main gripe is very often the timer on the front panel will freeze. You pass by, oh, 3:20, i got an hour until (insert activity here). Pass by a little later, 3:20, oh good, i have an hour...
wait, 3:20? Check something else, damn, its 5:10.
Also this sometimes leads to the channel guide being empty as it wont know the time, or it will have the correct time. Only way back is to hard boot it by pulling the power cord.
That brings us to 5-9 min boot time land.
And both boxes will take turns doing this.
Sometimes when closing the channel guide, the mini preview window in the corner gets stuck black and stays that way until I hard boot or wait about 15-20 mins.

Also the cable modem constantly loses connection. Often to the point of I cant even connect to it from 192.168.100.1 so I know it's not me. also the log page is full of errors, dhcp usually.

I see some mentions of different boxes performing better. Any suggestions on a preferred dvr, normal box and modem if applicable?

Only other option is DirecTV and Verizon DSL. And as bad as TWC is, I'd like to steer clear of that combo.

Sup Glow?

You have some options. I would try the following:

1.) Another hard reboot of your box, only this time, unplug it for at least 30 minutes (not 30 seconds) this might help. (In fact, better idea, unplug the box when you go to bed at night and reboot in the morning, if you can.)

2.) If the Time Freeze happens again after that, I would try to swap out the box for a different model. (A Cisco 8742 or a Cisco 8642 if you can get it) Have you had other Samsung boxes where this has happened with the time freeze?

3) If the Time Freeze happens again after that, open up a Support Ticket at the Direct to Tech forum, mentioning your name, city, box make and model at the Direct to Tech forum. (Give your account number at the Direct to Tech Forum only.) (It is secure there.) Say you have been through multiple box swaps and the Time Freeze is still happening. In that case, a service call may be required. No matter what, if you have to get to step #3 to solve this problem, ask the Direct to Tech Forum to forward the Time Freeze bug to the Engineering Department.

Link to Direct to Tech Forum:

»Time Warner Cable Direct

I think that by the time you get to step #2, this issue should be resolved.

Satch

PS. I would edit this topic, and open up a different thread for the cable modem, because the cable modem disconnect issue, and the box Time Freeze issue are two different things.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1

My Samsung 3272 had this problem, but rebooting it, did in fact, fix it.

reply to TheGlow

im pretty sure its just the boxes. go for the New Cisco or Motorola boxes

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

The Samsung dvr is pretty buggy, mine randomly decides to stop changing channels and the picture goes black. but the guide still works. Seems the tuners get stuck and it won't change qams. A reboot fixes it until it decides to do it again, but it will happen again. As another has said if it keeps on doing it, swap it out, and I'd suggest a Cisco box, because I know someone who had nothing but issues with the Samsung dvr and others they had, but they are now happy with one of the Cisco 8742 dvrs.

ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

said by scififan68:

The Samsung dvr is pretty buggy, mine randomly decides to stop changing channels and the picture goes black. but the guide still works. Seems the tuners get stuck and it won't change qams. A reboot fixes it until it decides to do it again, but it will happen again.....

My Samsung 3272 DVR is like yours: slow, erratic, and requires a weekly reboot to get things back to normal. Calling TWC or posting on their forums is pointless. They never admit to this being just a bad device.
But I will take your advice and try to exchange mine for the Cisco unit. Thanks for that info....

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!

Rebooting does help, but poor optimizations are what causing it. I believe the guide and possibly the middleware have memory leaks which cause it to run slowly. Cisco boxes are faster. My 8642HDC is much faster than my Samsung 3272.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

said by rv65:

Rebooting does help, but poor optimizations are what causing it. I believe the guide and possibly the middleware have memory leaks which cause it to run slowly. Cisco boxes are faster. My 8642HDC is much faster than my Samsung 3272.

I agree,

Often the rebooting is only a temporary fix. Subsequent updates are being worked on to improve the speed of the boxes. Customers may think that the newer boxes like the Samsungs would fly pretty fast, but that has not been the case for a lot of areas.

I don't know how well the MDN (non-C, no Samsung) do with the Black Guide, but my SA-8300HD (no C) was my favorite box. If only that box could have had a bigger hard drive and support multi-room for multi-room customers, I think it would be the box of choice for many people, I think my cousin still has an SA-8300. When I played with it, (before the Black Guide) it just flew!

Are the Ciscos like that?

Satch

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!

Cisco boxes have their own set of bugs!