All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
liquoranne
join:2009-01-14

liquoranne to Cptbeatstix

to Cptbeatstix

Re: UI Screenshots

Some of these UI's look pretty good. Funny part for me is that ive played this game since right around release, and i have never used anything but the basic WoW UI. I tend to not use addons either cept DBM and atlas loot. I have used some addons in the past when blizz didnt have a combo tracker, or when spriest rotation required pefect clippings of mind flays...

Funny part about it is that when i was in a top guild, they almost denied me for lack of UI customization and addon support. Until i competed against the other spriests in a trial run and blew them away (with less gear mind you). I think if i was involved in more PVP i would be hindered with all the addons now that basically tell you what move to do when....What happened to the nostalgia of early pvp when you had to guess if CD's where off or when entering and arena match you had no idea what comp you were facing until you saw them? Oh well...old schooler i guess...

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by liquoranne:

I think if i was involved in more PVP i would be hindered with all the addons now that basically tell you what move to do when

So.... wait....

What addon do you think tells you what to do in PvP and when to do it? I want it.

Secondly... you use DBM... and are complaining about PvP addons that tell you what to do?

I do not believe you have the experience to back up your claims.
said by liquoranne:

What happened to the nostalgia of early pvp when you had to guess if CD's where off

Because abilities didn't have visuals back then?
said by liquoranne:

What happened to the nostalgia of early pvp... ...Oh well...old schooler i guess...

Rose colored glasses anyone?
Snuffbox

Snuffbox

Premium Member

To clarify/explain my PvP addons.

LoseControl:
Shows me the CC and the remaining duration used on players. Nothing is automated, nothing is suggested.

GladiatorLOS:
Virbally announced enemy abilities used. Nothing is automated, nothing is suggested.

WeakAuras:
Extremely powerful addon limited to your game knowledge. I have it setup to display a more easily viewed icon when certain proc reliant abilities are useable. This allows me to keep my eyes on the center of the screen. Nothing is automated, nothing is suggested.

There are no "if" statments like you seem to believe.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I would love to have the other strings for WeakAuras, this weekend will get to know the addon more.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

I'll send it over, hopefully this time it won't have the page breaks.

Additionally, for the string I sent over there's a tab that allows the addon to only turn on with certain player names. So when you're on your Druid/Monk/Rogue etc you don't have to see the Warrior string. Just input the name of your warrior on the tab.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

That is good to know, I been playing only my warrior so I will do that.
liquoranne

liquoranne to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I only run DBM because it is pretty much required in any raid group. Try running a PuG without DBM and 9 times outta 10 they will tell you to either download it or leave the group (9 outta 10 is a guess...please feel free to use your infinite knowledge to disect this too troll). As for experience, what is your reference? PvE or PvP? Cause if its PvP you are more than likely correct as i have never been involved in heavy PvP. Now with PvE, i have been in a top 100 world guild back in WotLK with a top 5 Spriest parse.

"Because abilities didn't have visuals back then?"
Not every CD has a visual cue. Take trinkets for example.

"Rose colored glasses anyone?"

Yes i miss the days of open world PvP. As i am not a fan of arena since BC.

When i referenced an addon telling you what to hit and when to hit it, i wasnt really trying to be serious. It was meant as a slight metaphore to all the addons that are now available to people. I did not bash others, like yourself, for using them. I just stated i do not like using addons so would suffer in rated PvP.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

purist play is commendable right up until a thinly veiled insult (through gross oversimplification... possibly due to ignorance) to those who've maximized their play, through careful UI customization, rears its ugly head.

The "argument" is silly, given that we aren't talking about a guild application, nor the merits of taking a UI into consideration in the application process.

now then... lets see some more UI screencaps!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

2 edits

Snuffbox to liquoranne

Premium Member

to liquoranne
said by liquoranne:

I only run DBM because it is pretty much required in any raid group.

You're missing my point.

You use DBM, yet criticize supposedly automated addons in PvP.

First, those addons don't exist.

Second, DBM is as close to one of those addons you refer to as possible, making you appear as a hypocrite.

Nobody tells me the fire phase is coming ni 10 seconds.

Or that the Warrior is going to Recklessness + Shockwave in the next 5 seconds. Please someone make me a PvP DBM.
said by liquoranne:

Not every CD has a visual cue. Take trinkets for example.

I see.

And here I thought trinkets had a visual... Silly me.
said by liquoranne:

feel free to use your infinite knowledge

I accept this sarcastic criticism. As we both know, there's tons I don't know about WoW. However, I don't make claims about the things I don't have a clue about. And I correct those who are spreading incorrect information. Stone me.
liquoranne

liquoranne to Immer

to Immer
again, to be clear. Not trying to sound elitist because i use the base UI. Its just a preference of mine as i do not mind "stock" if its function is adequate. I have seen some UI's that are aesthetically pleasing. Removal of clutter and organization of bars/tools.

I wasnt trying to start a debate based on my preferences. Cant help that some people live their life on trying to disect other comments to prop up their own confidence.

So agree, more UIs.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

purist play is commendable right up until a thinly veiled insult (through gross oversimplification... possibly due to ignorance) to those who've maximized their play, through careful UI customization, rears its ugly head.

Genuinely impressed with this summary. Literally could not be more accurate. +1 internet points.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to liquoranne

Premium Member

to liquoranne
Liquoranne, unlike Immer you fail to see what was being debated.

I absolutely 100% don't care if you use or don't use addons. I actually prefer a very clean, low resource UI as a minimalist myself.

This was solely directed at the below comment:
said by liquoranne:

I think if i was involved in more PVP i would be hindered with all the addons now that basically tell you what move to do when....

Showing that you don't know about PvP, and don't know about addons but willing to criticize both.

That is all.
liquoranne

liquoranne to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Buddy...your missing my point.

I said it was meant as a slight metaphore. Mainly i stated such after hearing about addons that automatically point out healers in BGs. Never knew such a thing existed until recently (havent touched WoW in over a year). You need to jump off your "protect pvp" wagon for a second and realize that no where in my statement did i attach pvpers or people that want UI's/Addons. I simply stated i would be at a disadvantage in pvp because i do not use them.

Would i be at a disadvantage in raids without DBM? Yes....yes i would. As knowing when and how to position a boss while tanking is critical and DBM helps a ton here.

So...chillax. Its a game and a comment. Your soap box isnt needed.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by liquoranne:

I said it was meant as a slight metaphore.

You win.

I'm done.

Post your UI Immer!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

Click for full size
my priest
I will when I get home tonight. I think I've taken one recently on my priest.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to liquoranne

Premium Member

to liquoranne
said by liquoranne:

Mainly i stated such after hearing about addons that automatically point out healers in BGs.

I installed this addon last night to try it out.

It is just silly, big red cross over your head.

"COME PEW PEW ME!"

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Lol Jobbie.

Only players that have the addon can see the cross.

The addon should put a cross above ENEMY healers, not friendly however maybe that's an option.

This way, the idea is that your team can focus enemy healers, hence the "Healersmustdie".

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I used check the color of the health bars if its white I can't resist charging in.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Click for full size
disc spec in LFR
Click for full size
druid in dungeon

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

lol at the shammy dps in the 2nd pic.

Guy ques into our dungeon with 10 mins of rez sickness....

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

lol... yeah... I poked some fun at it, and his response was that he was being camped before the queue popped. Oh well... it didn't hurt us to carry him along for a dungeon.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart

I'm not quite sure how being camped relates to damage done in an instance but OK

I still got to get used to affliction.. been doing nothing but farming way too long!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Goldheart:

I'm not quite sure how being camped relates to damage done in an instance but OK

He was being camped, every time he rezzed at his body's location he was immediately killed again. Que popped, he's still dead, he accepts spirit rez and enters dungeon. Now he's in dungeon with Rez sickness (75% reduction in stats etc) and therefore is putting out virtually no damage.

Consider it explained.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart

said by Snuffbox:

said by Goldheart:

He was being camped, every time he rezzed at his body's location he was immediately killed again. Que popped, he's still dead, he accepts spirit rez and enters dungeon. Now he's in dungeon with Rez sickness (75% reduction in stats etc) and therefore is putting out virtually no damage.

Consider it explained.

Makes sense. I don't recall seeing a rez debuff or whatever it is called. Is that not visible to party members?
Cptbeatstix
join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Pollux7777

to Pollux7777
LOL who rez's like that anymore. If I'm getting camped, I rez away from my body and immediately my mount keybind.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Goldheart

Premium Member

to Goldheart
said by Goldheart:

Makes sense. I don't recall seeing a rez debuff or whatever it is called. Is that not visible to party members?

It's easily seen...well... my raid UI is scaled down pretty low. it's in the lower left corner of the blue raid frame in the screen cap.