spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SpykeYs
join:2009-01-23

SpykeYs

[Internet] Fibe 50/50 + Fibe TV - How to add my own router in th

Hey Guys,

I'm sure it has been asked many times, i'm sorry if I ask again. I've search the board and haven't found the exact answer i'm looking at.

I'm getting Fibe 50/50 + Fibe TV installed this upcoming Saturday. I'm FTTH.

They will install a connection hub (sagecom).

My goal is to use my own router + a 16 port switch.

From my understanding, the Bell Tech will configure the samecom and use port 1-2-3 for the Fibe TV receivers and leave me port 4 to connect to my switch. And from my switch I could connect all my cables..

But like I said, I would like to use my own routers for many different reason.

So how can I do this ? Do I simply reset the sagecom and use port 1 to my router and port1 from router to my switch and plug everything on my switch, even the fibe tv ?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

Re: [Internet] Fibe 50/50 + Fibe TV - How to add my own router i

I'm not sure about using the switch, but I have my own router (Asus RT-N66U) connected to my Sagemcom.

If you have FibeTV you CANNOT reset the Sagemcom, it has to do the PPPoE connection itself, as it also has your FibeTV settings in there.

You only reset the Sagemcom if you want to bridge it and have the router do the connection. However like I said, you cannot bridge it if you have FibeTV.

I have my Asus setup with a Mac reservation on the Sagemcom, and have DMZ enabled on it. Then have my router set to DHCP.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT to SpykeYs

Premium Member

to SpykeYs
Good day,

I have FTTH and had done the same thing as you, with some difference..

I still have the Sagemcom, but for the TV only. There was no pppoe setted in my "connection hub", as I dont mind if my
tv doesnt have internet for the applications.

My router, a juniper ssg140 was connected into the port 2. From my router, I had setted it to negociate the pppoe. So the
Sagemcom bridge it.

Then, from my juniper, I had a switch connected to it for my lan.

I mention "was", because my setup had changed a little bit recently. But that way, it work.. even since Bell had change their
one login only.
SpykeYs

SpykeYs to coaxguy

to coaxguy
Coaxguy,

So I would need to leave my PPPoE settings on the Sagecom ? Port 1, 2 and 3 would be used for my Fibe TV receivers and I would then use Port 4 and connect it to my Asus RT-N66U ? (We have the same router)

What is a Mac reservation ? You basically take the MAC on your Asus router and add it to your sagecom and enable DMZ on it ?

Once this is setup, your router will work 100% like it should ?

P.S Do you have DD-WRT installed on your asus ?

The reason I want to use my own router is to be able to use VPN on my router in order to use NETFlix USA...

Thanks again!!

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

I forgot to mention.. I have IPTV.. so coaxguy, telling that we cannot if we have IPTV.. its not true..

anon_tipster
@bell.ca

anon_tipster to SpykeYs

Anon

to SpykeYs
said by SpykeYs:

The reason I want to use my own router is to be able to use VPN on my router in order to use NETFlix USA...

Thanks again!!

If US Netflix is the ONLY reason to want vpn access, there are other ways to get the US netflix without using a true VPN.

I have a sagemcom and with the use of custom DNS entries, which the sagemcom allows us to manually set for the wan IP, I can access the US netflix servers.

Your likely paying a vpn provider for a US IP. The service I use is pay also, about 5 dollars a month iirc. Also has a free 1 week trial - no billing info required.

google 'Unblock Us'

HOWEVER

If your using the VPN for other purposes like a lot of people do, ie torrenting, this will not provide for same types of privacy there.

So, if Netlfix is your only use, you could skip the asus rt-n66u and just go with sagemcom -> switch.
SpykeYs

SpykeYs

Ok.. I was lying..

I need VPN for netflix and other stuff ;P

coaxguy

coaxguy to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
said by Frank_IT:

I forgot to mention.. I have IPTV.. so coaxguy, telling that we cannot if we have IPTV.. its not true..

I did not say he cannot have IPTV, I said if he resets the Sagemcom and wipes out the settings, he will not have IPTV.

I guarantee if you go into your connection hub Marshall, 192.168.2.1, and click on INTERNET on the left, your b1 and password will be there. Regardless if you let your own router after the fact also connect via pppoe is fine as Bell allows double login.

Without the connection hub doing the PPPOE, it will not authorize the Bell receivers for FibeTV via ethernet or HPNA

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Its not true for FTTH.

There is a login for IPTV using pppoe, on FTTN...

on FTTH, the iptv portion use DHCP to get the stream.
Seb8517 (banned)
join:2010-07-12

Seb8517 (banned)

said by Frank_IT:

Its not true for FTTH.

Ty est certain de cela ??

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Avec les tests que je fais depuis un temps pour remplacer le Connection Hub meme pour le Tivi, oui j'en suis TRES certain.
Seb8517 (banned)
join:2010-07-12

Seb8517 (banned)

said by Frank_IT:

certain a 100%

Je viens de voir l'option dans le Sagemcom lol
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
said by Frank_IT:

Its not true for FTTH.

Thats Backwards Marshal, On Fttn its DHCP, On FTTH its PPOE for the fibetv 36 session. Either that or both are DHCP, easy way to tell is to click advanced settings >TV in your modem and take note if its PPPOE or DHCP is ticked.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Ok, so you're telling me that I dont know what I saw at home? I have FTTH at home..

I will take a screenshot when I'll get home.. you'll see..
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Wait Now i remeber, On a Stinger You have to use PPOE for FTTN, on a 7330 Its DHCP> thats the difference brain fart P:)

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

:P

coaxguy

coaxguy to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
Damn, I forgot it said FTTH, you are right. Sorry Marshal. Forgot about the other modem converting the fiber and then plugs into the WAN port on the Sagemcom.

Spyke, I stand corrected. You have 2 options like Marshal said, you can reset the Sagemcom if you wish.

I personally am on FTTN and have it set up the way I said above. Seeing as you want to flash your Asus and put custom firmware on, I would still suggest doing it the way I said. I have had flaky performance when DDWRT was doing the pppoe connection, which is why I let the Sagemcom do the work.

I use Tomato, shibby version. I needed OpenVPN as well

Here is a pic of what I mean for MAC reservation. Its to ensure the Sagemcom ALWAYS assigns the same IP to the Asus N66U.

Then I go to the DMZ tab at the top and enable 192.168.2.10 (the asus) to work under DMZ. Ive not had an issue this way, and I get my full speed. (25/10)
SpykeYs

SpykeYs

Thanks so much guys!

That's what i'll do I guess..

I'll let sagemcom handle the PPPoE and will assign my router a static IP and add it to the DMZ.

Thanks guys!!
pmcdunnough
join:2012-02-03

pmcdunnough to anon_tipster

to anon_tipster
said by anon_tipster :

If US Netflix is the ONLY reason to want vpn access, there are other ways to get the US netflix without using a true VPN.

I have a sagemcom and with the use of custom DNS entries, which the sagemcom allows us to manually set for the wan IP, I can access the US netflix servers.

[ ]

google 'Unblock Us'

HOWEVER

If your using the VPN for other purposes like a lot of people do, ie torrenting, this will not provide for same types of privacy there.

So, if Netlfix is your only use, you could skip the asus rt-n66u and just go with sagemcom -> switch.

To use a service like unblock-us don't you need to disable dns forwarding by the Sagecom and enter those two custom dns #'s? If you do that then FibeTV doesn't work. For example, you can't disable the DHCP server on your Sagecom without the TV's losing service, even if you have a DHCP server on your LAN. So, how are you managing to use custom DNS's on devices such as a Roku which won't allow you to set the DNS #'s?

With Fibe DSL ( not FibeTV) you could either disable the DHCP server or enter custom DNS #'s into the Sagecom and disable DNS forwarding. If DNS forwarding and DHCP are on then your devices will occasionally get the Bell DNS ip's.

It's all confusing...

philip

coaxguy

coaxguy to SpykeYs

to SpykeYs
said by SpykeYs:

Thanks so much guys!

That's what i'll do I guess..

I'll let sagemcom handle the PPPoE and will assign my router a static IP and add it to the DMZ.

Thanks guys!!

Give both a try, I was getting higher ping and my download speed was suffering when I let the Asus do the PPPOE
pmcdunnough

pmcdunnough to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
IPTV requires that DHCP sends out the ip's and Bell DNS #'s to the boxes connected to the TV's. How could you get around this for the home LAN? You need the Sagecom as the gateway and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of stopping the Sagecom from forwarding the Bell DNS #'s to the devices on your network. I have been trying to do this with a router connected somehow to the Sagecom but it's not obvious how to set this up if the LAN is wired into the Sagecom.

philip

coaxguy

coaxguy

said by pmcdunnough:

IPTV requires that DHCP sends out the ip's and Bell DNS #'s to the boxes connected to the TV's. How could you get around this for the home LAN? You need the Sagecom as the gateway and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of stopping the Sagecom from forwarding the Bell DNS #'s to the devices on your network. I have been trying to do this with a router connected somehow to the Sagecom but it's not obvious how to set this up if the LAN is wired into the Sagecom.

philip

Not in this case.

The topic creator is on Fiber to the HOME. There is a device called a optical network terminal that's placed BEFORE the Sagemcom modem/router. This connected to the Bell network first and handles the handshake. An ethernet cable is run from this to the red WAN port on the Sagemcom.

So in this case, the Sagemcom could be bridged and the IPTV will work fine as the ONT is doing the handshaking.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· lim_tmm8
pmcdunnough

pmcdunnough

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that Fibre to the Home had a different connection scheme. Have only ever seen FTTN...

philip

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT to coaxguy

Premium Member

to coaxguy
Its not really the best setup i've seen!

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by Frank_IT:

yeah, the tech did a number on this one !

I got my ONT and the battery backup on a piece of plywood on the wall and the sagemcom on computer rack just beside the wall.

The tech should of done a better job on your install.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT to SpykeYs

Premium Member

to SpykeYs
Click for full size
like that

Rigor_M
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to SpykeYs

to SpykeYs
The worst thing is.. the battery backup is only there for the phone lines.. (CRTC requirement) but the internet will stop working.. even if the sagemcom is also on a UPS.. (at least, did not work on my tests)

So you have to put Bell's battery on another battery(ups) and that setup isen't recommended (I dont know why, but a raid it on a warning label of some UPS)

news
@videotron.ca

news to Rigor_M

Anon

to Rigor_M
said by Rigor_M:

said by Frank_IT:

yeah, the tech did a number on this one !

I got my ONT and the battery backup on a piece of plywood on the wall and the sagemcom on computer rack just beside the wall.

The tech should of done a better job on your install.

In the video, the bell equipment is hidden inside a cabinet where is located the power panel. There's not much room near the power panel, where did you expect the equipment installed??? Personally, I wouldn't want the equipment on my wall, it's not really esthetic, ask your wife or girlfriend about that... It's not like the equipment was installed in a unfinished basement...

Rigor_M
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by news :

In the video, the bell equipment is hidden inside a cabinet where is located the power panel. There's not much room near the power panel, where did you expect the equipment installed??? Personally, I wouldn't want the equipment on my wall, it's not really esthetic, ask your wife or girlfriend about that... It's not like the equipment was installed in a unfinished basement...

I'll admit that not everyone wnats it on the wall.. I got mine in my office.. my girlfriend could't care less where it was as long as it work when she need it.. I'm a tech guy so I like it on the wall

But, you have to admit that its a mess in there.. the tech could of mounted it on the door.. there seem to be some space in front of the electrical panel.

my 2¢.
SpykeYs

SpykeYs

Ok i'm a bit lost here..

So what is the best way of doing it ?

Should I leave my Sagemcom handle pppoe and connect my 3 receivers to it and plug my router using the last port ?

If yes, should I do pppoe again on the router or set dmz on the sagemcom ?

Or should I just reset the sagemcom and plug everything on my router ?

Thx!