Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

[Scam] Interesting phone scam

About 8:30 this morning, our phone rang my wife answered it. The (female) caller verified my wife's name and date of birth, then said that that she (the caller) was with Bank of America and that my wife had won a prize of five million dollars from Publishers' Clearing House. This was a bit of a surprise, since we haven't responded to any PCH mailings for at least the past 15 years.

The caller wanted bank account details to arrange a transfer of the funds. When my wife refused to provide any, the caller then said that for a processing fee of $375 sent through Western Union, they would FedEx the check to us. When that was refused as well, the third offer was to send it via FedEx C.O.D, and my wife was asked to confirm our residence address. Instead, she hung up.

Almost instantly, the caller rang back apologizing for being disconnected. My wife told her, rather heatedly, that it was no disconnect but that she had hung up, and hung up again.

Immediately the phone rang again. This time I punched the speakerphone button but said nothing. The caller twice attempted to open a conversation; I just waited. Eventually she gave up.

The calling number showed as 1-360-474-4422 but I'm certain it was spoofed. The amazing thing was the caller's persistence. I'm posting to see whether others have had a similar experience, and to see whether anyone has ideas about from where all the personal information such as name, address, and date of birth might have been gleaned. It was all correct, BTW. The only place I can think of would be the on-line healthcare records of our primary-care physician; they use DOB as part of the primary key to retrieve the data, but I've not heard of any breach in that area...
--
Jim Kyle

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

I'd like to answer to that. It's pretty scary to know they have that level of info to start with. I've never known them to be so persistent. 800notes.com shows two old hits claiming to be BOA.
--
| map your city |

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
reply to jimkyle

I agree, wherever your wife's PII came from the persistence of the caller points to a smaller database such as a physician's database.
I'd call them & share the concern.

maryismymom

join:2011-12-21
reply to jimkyle

Thanks for sharing! I've received a call like that, too, from 516-506-0055, although I'm not sure if it was spoofed. The caller told me the same story. I won in the lottery and will be getting a big cash as soon as I pay for the processing fee. But as much as it would be nice to get that much money, I knew it was nothing more but a bluff.

maryismymom

join:2011-12-21
reply to jimkyle

And I guess my instincts were right. I looked up the phone number and this page »www.callercenter.com/516-506-0055.html came up, along with a complaint posted by someone else. Apparently, this scammer called someone else and tried to scam him,too.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
reply to pcdebb

After posting here, I did the search and found those same two hits, both claiming to be BOA and dating back to September 2011.

Will contact the physician's office and see if they have any ideas.
--
Jim Kyle

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to jimkyle

The numbers might not be spoofed.

Both number blocks come back to Level 3 Communications. They're very probably VoIP.

If law enforcement would bother to check, they might find the same person or entity behind both numbers.