spc
Search similar:

uniqs

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to peterboro

to peterboro

Re: Biggest storm in years. Call the army now!

said by peterboro:

said by Viper359:

Yeah, with a population of 100 000 people, not 3-4 Million, plus another 1 million trying to come into the city. Comparing a small town to Toronto is silly in so many ways. However, you are right, next time, maybe we won't call in the army, and we can let small town Ontario go without supplies for a week.

Pfffft. You've got a massive public works budget for a reason. Use it. Face it, despite all your bleating about population, cities are just a microcosm of Toronto with idiosyncratic problems of their own yet they don't go into hysterics like you guys do.

Plus we can do without your supplies considering they consist of head offices and financial institutions set to rip off the rest of the province. Maybe if the city was snowed in for a month the rest of the province would be better off.

OK now the knifes are out and the real reason for the thread perhaps?

On weather front, it started snowing in Scarborough. Not that heavy...

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Cities and towns are just a smaller version of Toronto. No different regardless of all your superfluous puffery of transit and such.

That must be why every little hick town and village has its own tiny little subway system running beneath it. Because transportation logistics are exactly the same.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

True, Toronto's subway system is pretty tiny :P

On a more serious level, the Toronto subway's daily ridership is less than Montreal, despite having double the population. This is perhaps an unfair comparison, as Montreal has abnormally high subway ridership per capita. Third highest absolute ridership in North America (for all light rail systems, below or above ground) after NYC and Mexico City, second highest per capita after NYC.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

It's because the all the subways ride on tires in Montreal. Or as my daughter said when she was 2 1/2, "blue bus-trains". People prefer rubber over metal any day.

Back OT, you'd think having subways would make snow removal easier, as fewer cars on the road, and most subways need not be plowed. (Except for portions of the Young-University line)
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

That must be why every little hick town and village has its own tiny little subway system running beneath it. Because transportation logistics are exactly the same.

Cities other than Toronto have their own transit systems with their own problems as well. I would suspect that, and this might sound crazy, but getting a bus up some hills in Peterborough compared to moving a subway car, might be a tad more difficult in a blizzard in Peterborough.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
I went to the dentist to get a broken tooth fixed and just got home. I drive from the 401 to St, Clare on Yonge and it was not bad. Major roads just wet because of extra salt. One the way back the side roads had a little bit of snow, but not much.

you2
Mmm, gravy train.
Premium Member
join:2004-06-06
Toronto, ON

you2 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
Did Toronto harm you as a child or something? Such hate.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I went to the dentist to get a broken tooth fixed and just got home. I drive from the 401 to St, Clare on Yonge and it was not bad. Major roads just wet because of extra salt. One the way back the side roads had a little bit of snow, but not much.

I'll bet you have to stay home tomorrow because that tooth is so sore

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44

1 recommendation

bluebaron2 to peterboro

Mod

to peterboro
Eeeny, meeny, miny, moe
Two theads about the same snow