Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Msradell

to Msradell

Re: Garage addition

said by Msradell:

said by Draiman:

Wow no one knows anything about garage exhaust fans?

I don't believe I've actually ever seeing one used in a private garage, normally they are used in commercial applications. Unless you're going to leave your car running for an extended period of time while in the garage I really don't see for it.

I don't see a need for it either but the wife's word is law so there will be one installed. Like a home security system or locks on your doors it's there to make you feel safe.

The only question is what type of system to install hence the question.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

better off with a CO detector.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by AVD:

better off with a CO detector.

The building inspector recommended a CO system to protect the area above so nothing short of that will bring piece of mine for the wife. I continually thank the BI for his help in budget over runs. I think he's personally responsible for between $5,000 and $6,000 in extras so far. It's not a bad thing to do but it's blatant overkill for sure.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

I think the suggestion with the radon mitigation fan is a good one, primarily because those fans tend to be designed for continuous operation and the amount of air moved is moderate (you don't need the exhaust fans of a commercial kitchen for this purpose).

In order not to have to run the fan all the time I would use a pair of garage door contacts that turn on the fan whenever the garage doors are opened (cars entering and exiting) combined with an after-run relay that keeps the fan running for anther 30 minutes or 1 hour after the garage doors are closed. That will take care of any outgassing from the hot engine block after the car has been parked in the garage.

As already suggested, a CO alarm (hardwired to also alert residents in the attic above) should also be installed (just in case someone decides to leave the engine running).

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

4 edits

Draiman

*removed*

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

... so if you warm up your car it's building CO until you open the garage door.

Who in their right mind is going to start a car with the garage door closed, much less run the damn thing until it's warm?
Are you going to pioneer that for us?

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by leibold:

As already suggested, a CO alarm (hardwired to also alert residents in the attic above) should also be installed (just in case someone decides to leave the engine running).

That's standard code. There has to be a co/smoke in the room above the garage for an occupancy permit.

I asked the BI about one in the garage but he said no because they can be tripped by a running car sometimes. The BI also said hooking the system to the garage doors was bad. You don't open the garage doors until your ready to go so if you warm up your car it's building CO until you open the garage door. If anything he said hook it to a CO detector or leave it running on low all the time.

He had no recommendations on a CO system but said we should ask our contractor. That's not happening since we parted ways on bad terms.

It sounds this is new territory for people so I'm a pioneer here. I'm sure I can muddle though it I was just hoping that wasn't the case.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

Coma to Asiabound

Premium Member

to Asiabound

Are you going to pioneer that for us?

Pics or it didn't happen.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to Draiman

to Draiman
Nice job!
I would put a solar fan on each of the 2nd floor gables. Or go expensive and run ducting up through the floors up to a roof mounted exhaust fan. Or both.