Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to resa1983

Re: Court tells employers to accommodate child-care requests

I think that comment is geared more towards small shiftwork companies. 24/7 operations. Plumbers, electricians, elevator mechanics, convenience stores, gas stations etc.

Even then, I am not sure this will have any wide reaching implications, as this could be total bull, and just perceived, rather than truth, but from all my years, in several industries, I have found shift workers for a large part, are still male dominated. Of course, there are females, but, if I made a guess, I would say 90% male, 10% female, with exceptions of course, like nurses, police dispatchers etc.

The reason I say this might not have any major implication is because, from my experience, with shiftwork still being male dominated, its more of a suck it up and deal with it mentality.

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04

said by Viper359:

The reason I say this might not have any major implication is because, from my experience, with shiftwork still being male dominated, its more of a suck it up and deal with it mentality.

Watch that start to change, and it should.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I hope you are right! I still work with guys who will come to work with a full blown case of the flu, and they think its fine because they have to be at work, because that's just the way it is, their daddy did it, and they have to as well. Drives me nuts.

Its lost on them that they are not as productive, and sometimes, others have to help pick up their slack, and, they make the rest of us sick, slowing us down, or worse, causing many to call in sick. If they just stayed home!

Like I said, suck it up. URG

noemails

@bell.ca

pay them sick days then. if it costs me 20 percent of my take home to stay at home.....im going to work with the sniffles if you get a cold or the rest of the office does maybe it makes sense for the company to look at paid sick leave

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to Viper359

said by Viper359:

I think that comment is geared more towards small shiftwork companies. 24/7 operations. Plumbers, electricians, elevator mechanics, convenience stores, gas stations etc.

Agreed as when you run production x number of hours a week with a small group of employees it can truly suck when someone doesn't come in (or can't stay a full shift).