join:2011-03-17

2 edits

horacebork

Premium Member

success at last ... =D

the number port is complete.
it was started on 1/11/13 and just completed today 2/7/13
27 days, 2 rejections, dozens of calls and emails

thanks to the people at voip.ms who apparently had a big enough crowbar to get the number ported.
thanks to the people at dslreports on this thread for best-of-class commentary and direction.

no thanks to verizon for instigating a fiasco and stonewalling the port.
from my perspective, verizon was the problem in this. they never sent me the report i requested.
they never "added a btn" so the port could be completed. the rejection excuses given to voip.ms were completely false.
it was only after voip.ms got ahold of the csr (however they did *that*) did verizon cave in. good riddance.

now about canceling with verizon - any loopholes i should look out for? or just up and cancel service?

i have heard that 911 can remain active on a pots that has been deactivated. is this true?

Bhutan Bob
@optonline.net

Bhutan Bob

Anon

said by horacebork:

I have heard that 911 can remain active on a pots that has been deactivated. is this true?

See here for some discussion as to why you should NOT rely on this method for something as important as 911.
»Re: Cheap Standalone E911

Besides, if you are running VoIP through your phone lines, you would need to physically disconnect the POTS line at the Network Interface Device (NID) anyway.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to horacebork

MVM

to horacebork
As long as there is dial-tone on the line, 911 should be available, even if the service has been disconnected. This is mostly for liability reasons, and will vary depending on the practices of the local telco. The line will usually stay connected on the telco side, but the dial-tone will probably be turned off after 30 days of no service.

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

2 edits

horacebork to Bhutan Bob

Premium Member

to Bhutan Bob

See here for some discussion as to why you should NOT rely on this method for something as important as 911.

is there a pot this guy *doesn't* have his fingers in? =)

Besides, if you are running VoIP through your phone lines, you would need to physically disconnect the POTS line at the Network Interface Device (NID) anyway.

not doing that, but good point. mine is run thru cable internet then wireless broadcast to handset from a base unit.
panasonic tgp500 -- nice device.