how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Nice knowing you, Optimum West

Bloomberg just reported that Cablevision is said to be near an agreement to sell Optimum West to Charter Communications.

We hardly knew, ya!

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Indeed, my post »Welcome former Bresnan now Optimum West customers is barely 2 years old and now it's already being sold off.

Good luck with Charter soon to be former Optimum West customers.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to limegrass69

Cablevision must've realized they were pissing away money out west.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

They probably saw how bad the network was and how much they would have to spend to get it docsis 3 ready and decided to sell it.

Expand your moderator at work

derpder

@optonline.net
reply to majortom1029

Re: Nice knowing you, Optimum West

Or more likely they saw Bresnan as an opportunity to make some money by buying a system, getting it up to date then selling it off to someone else to run.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by derpder :

Or more likely they saw Bresnan as an opportunity to make some money by buying a system, getting it up to date then selling it off to someone else to run.

I think if that was their goal they would likely keep it longer and continued increasing revenue and cash flow from west.

The first info that they might sell west came in the 3rd quarter earnings call when Dolan told listeners that there was *unsolicited* interest from other parties in buying optimum west. Remember that Charter CEO Rutledge was COO when CV bought Bresnan. Charter is one of the companies bidding. It will be interesting to see if they get more than they paid. I suspect they will and this was simply a combination of an opportunity and Dolan wanting to focus on East after the stocks downturn.

Here is a link to an article on one of the earlier reports.

»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/12···-systems
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

factcheck

@optonline.net
reply to kickass69

Actually several employees in the optimum west division took it upon themselves to unionize and we all know how mr dolan feels about unions.. good riddance....

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to majortom1029

said by majortom1029:

They probably saw how bad the network was and how much they would have to spend to get it docsis 3 ready and decided to sell it.

the networks that Bresnan owned were in not that bad of shape most are 750MHz or 860MHz and few are either 625MHz or 330MHz (I think there is only 1 or 2 330MHz systems left at optimum west)

The only thing cablevision did was upgrade all of the markets with digital cable to digital only for the expanded basic channels and add more HD channels and added DOCSIS 3.0 in areas that Bresnan did not upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

said by motorola870:

said by majortom1029:

the networks that Bresnan owned were in not that bad of shape most are 750MHz or 860MHz and few are either 625MHz or 330MHz (I think there is only 1 or 2 330MHz systems left at optimum west)

The only thing cablevision did was upgrade all of the markets with digital cable to digital only for the expanded basic channels and add more HD channels and added DOCSIS 3.0 in areas that Bresnan did not upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0.

How much would it have costs to rewire those 625 and 330mhz systems to be upto date? cablevisions downstream channels are in the 6xx range.

anon74

@bresnan.net
reply to factcheck

nobody at optimum west has a union...get your facts straight before posting erronious information

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to limegrass69

According to: »seekingalpha.com/news-article/55···_mc_body Charter paid $1.625 billion in cash.

derpder

@optonline.net
reply to anon74

Uh, they actually do have a union at a couple of shops in Montana. Know your facts and all.

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
reply to limegrass69

I said from the beginning that going out west for any purpose was a waste. A NY tri-state company has no business being out in the middle of nowhere.

Ever since CV acquired Bresnan, my services haven't been as sharp as they used to.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

They made over 2 billion in two years, I say that was worth it

Your service suffers in the Bronx because of Optimum West?

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to limegrass69

Yeah mine has too, my node in PA must have some people from Montana on it slowing everything down! Long fiber runs and everything, gotta go thorough like 4 states to get there...

But Seriously, my service has gotten better since the Brensan acquisition and it had absolutely nothing to do with the acquisition.

Seriously they've done just as much upgrades on the east coast as they've done bringing Brensan up to snuff.