Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA

email server changes

Just rec'd a message in only one of my several VZ email accounts that they are changing the server settings again. Some may remember the transition a few years ago from the default ports to 465 and 995. Now they are changing the names from incoming.... and outgoing.... to pop.... and smtp.... (without changing the ports again). At first glance, the new settings work, the login appears to be snappy enough, better than I've come to expect for mid-day. I wonder if this is why email checking has been so crappy for months now - the engineers changed the server names and nobody knew it?

dw

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
No notifications here (Phila., PA area) as of yet.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to dick white
Everyone can change as as right now. It will work with both names. When they see traffic significantly reduce on the old servers they will send out notifications again before shutting the down

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
reply to dick white
»my.verizon.com/central/vzc.porta···uncement

Action Required Now - Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account - 1/29/13

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX
My experience with the change is that email is sent and received much faster than with the old servers.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
said by justin9876:

My experience with the change is that email is sent and received much faster than with the old servers.

I just changed all mine and I have to agree with you - seems much snappier.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to dick white
Yes, much snappier. There aren't many of us using those server addresses now. When everybody has changed over, then it will be back to same ol' same ol'.

dw

Gerryex

join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to dick white
WOW!! I'm in the Tampa, FL area and never got any e-mail or any other indication to change the servers. But I went ahead and changed them and boy is the e-mail response faster. We'll see if it stays that way!!

Gerry

Gary A

join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL
said by Gerryex:

WOW!! I'm in the Tampa, FL area and never got any e-mail or any other indication to change the servers. But I went ahead and changed them and boy is the e-mail response faster. We'll see if it stays that way!!

Gerry

I haven't received any notification either (Tampa, FL area) but after reading this topic, I changed my settings. As others have posted, the new names seem to be much faster using Windows Live Mail.

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

1 edit
reply to dick white
Never saw them in central Virginia either, but as everyone has said that the new servers are MUCH faster.

Never mind - got the E-mail today. Looks like they're really pushing us to move to the new server!

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to hubrisnxs
said by hubrisnxs:

What about IMAP4 setting's ? I can't find IMAP4 setting's on verizon.com Why ?

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX
said by bigdaddy:

said by hubrisnxs:

What about IMAP4 setting's ? I can't find IMAP4 setting's on verizon.com Why ?

Because Verizon does not support IMAP for their email. And they have not announced any intent to provide IMAP support as far as I know.
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR
Motorola QIP 7100-P2
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to dick white
LOL. I am still using port 25 for SMTP here on outgoing.verizon.net

When they changed the ports before, did they also require encryption? I am assuming they did. My scanner doesn't support encryption for smtp.