spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eschalon
join:2010-02-28
Las Vegas, NV

eschalon

[NV] Problems with new SB6141

I recently upgraded my modem to a new Motorola SB6141 and when it works it's great, but it hasn't been able to maintain a connection for more than 12 hours in the days that I've had it so far. I've had to reboot it at least twice per day.

The signal strength appears on the edge of acceptable ~10db for downstream and in the right range for upstream ~40db.

From looking at the logs it appears that it's having trouble trying to re-negotiate an IP address.

I'm not sure if this is a config issue or if it's a problem with old firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
phxuser
join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

phxuser

That's is the same firmware that came with my SB6141. Cox auto-updated my firmware the following night.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH

Maybe one of Cox Tech's can update the firmware for you!

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to eschalon

to eschalon
If you have a two way splitter handy, I would try it and see if you can get that downstream power level down.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Adding a splitter would reduce the power level although if you're not going to use all of the outputs an open splitter could allow noise to be introduced into the lines.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to eschalon

to eschalon
An attenuator would be best for dropping the signal down. You can order them online dirt cheap.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to eschalon

to eschalon
Got your PM with your MAC - your firmware was a couple years old, so I did kick an update out to it (running as I type this).

Your modem levels are, as you saw, very high - an attenuator (or a splitter in a pinch) would be helpful.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to eschalon

to eschalon
Here's where I got mine:

»www.summitsource.com/adv ··· tenuator

I'd recommend your order a sample of a few, maybe 3, 6,8, and 10db. The shipping will cost more than just 1 anyway so might as well have a stock of them.
eschalon
Las Vegas, NV

eschalon

Thanks for the firmware update and thanks for the suggestions with the attenuator. I'll order a few and give it a try.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well looking at your modem log you posted here, I see the modem rebooted three times due to power reset. Are you resetting the modem? If not, you may want to check the power source. As that log simply shows me, the modem rebooted three times in a short period of time due to power loss.
eschalon
Las Vegas, NV

eschalon

Yeah that was me physically rebooting it when it lost connection.
eschalon

eschalon

Following suggestions I ordered a few attenuators and they arrived yesterday. They are making the signal better (the -6 db one seems to get me closest with downstream without pushing my upstream out of bounds), however it's just made the problem worse for some reason.

Now I can't maintain a connection for more than a few hours before I have to reboot it and there are no errors in the error logs anymore, just the warnings after I reboot.

I'm at a complete loss as to what is going on now. Do I just have a bad modem? I've tried this with my old Asus N56, a new Asus AC66 and an even older Netgear WNDR3700 and none of them can hold a connection so I have to assume it's a problem with the modem. My old setup of a Motorola SB6120 and the Asus N56 didn't have any problems with all of the same cabling.

Anyone else have any suggestions of anything I can try? Or do I just need to go back to my SB6120?

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

If you still have your 6120 I see no good reason not to try that and see what happens. If it works it could be a modem issue.