MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

8 recommendations

dp

MVM

Security updates available for Adobe Flash Player

Summary

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.146 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh, Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.261 and earlier versions for Linux, Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.36 and earlier versions for Android 4.x, and Adobe Flash Player 11.1.111.31 and earlier versions for Android 3.x and 2.x. These updates address vulnerabilities that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Adobe is aware of reports that CVE-2013-0633 is being exploited in the wild in targeted attacks designed to trick the user into opening a Microsoft Word document delivered as an email attachment which contains malicious Flash (SWF) content. The exploit for CVE-2013-0633 targets the ActiveX version of Flash Player on Windows.

Adobe is also aware of reports that CVE-2013-0634 is being exploited in the wild in attacks delivered via malicious Flash (SWF) content hosted on websites that target Flash Player in Firefox or Safari on the Macintosh platform, as well as attacks designed to trick Windows users into opening a Microsoft Word document delivered as an email attachment which contains malicious Flash (SWF) content.

»www.adobe.com/support/se ··· -04.html

Get Update: »www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Thanks for this, dp See Profile !

As always, when installing the patch, it must be applied to each Browser you currently run.

Avoid all third-party offerings such as Google Toolbar, etc - unless you implicitly want these.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

2 recommendations

MarkAW to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Thanks dp See Profile got it.

art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

art22gg to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Thanks dp...much appreciated...hopefully there won,t be another release on the 12th Feb..

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Got it. Thanks dp See Profile.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 edit

dolphins to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Hmmm... what does this mean?

My ActiveX version stayed the same, only my Plug-in version updated.

Oh OK, ActiveX is the IE version. Here's an explanation. »forums.adobe.com/message ··· #4644774

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Excellent, thank you dp See Profile!

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Thanks for the heads-up!

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Thanks, got them!

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Thanks dp See Profile

Windows 8 - IE10 update

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Thanks. Too bad Chrome is always late in updating the version used there.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

3 recommendations

AB57 to dp

Premium Member

to dp
I think it's very courteous of Adobe/Macromedia to make sure a newer and/or remaining unaddressed exploit is included with every new and "patched" version of the Flash Player.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

1 edit

altermatt to dp

Premium Member

to dp
said by dp:

Summary

...Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.36 and earlier versions for Android 4.x,

I'm not seeing an Android version on the download page. IIRC, Android stopped offering Flash, but there was a workaround if you already had Flash that allowed updating, which I have in the past. But I don't see it offered here.

The bulletin says

Users of Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.36 and earlier versions on Android 4.x devices should update to Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.37*.
* Note: Applicable only for Android 4.x devices with Flash Player installed prior to August 15, 2012.

but it has no link for downloading it, although i do have Flash installed on my Android tablet (installed prior to August 15).
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

1 edit

Fickey

If you scroll down on this page, the latest apks for android are there (ICS & pre-ICS), you just have to sideload it.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ons.html

Edit: I'm on Gingerbread & can still get flash updates through the Play Store, not sure about ICS. If you currently have Flash installed, try going to My Apps > All in the Play Store App & see if it lists Adobe Flash Player. If so, click it & see what it offers. I already had the latest for GB from January.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

I'm not sure your at any advantage running an outdated Android version

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Fickey

Premium Member

to Fickey
You cannot get Adobe Flash Player updates on Android Icecream Sandwich (ICS) or Jellybean (JB) unless it was pre-installed. Flash is not available for download from the Play Store app. As you said you must manually download the APK file (installer) and run that. Note that most devices won't allow APK's to be run manually--you have to enable that (and disable it again afterwards).

I've installed the latest Flash on my Android (JB) tablet and it seems to work ok in Firefox 18.0.2 for Android.
StuartMW

StuartMW to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

I'm not sure your at any advantage running an outdated Android version.

Fickey See Profile may not have a choice. I'm fortunate in that my tablet manufacturer released a JB (4.1.1) update for a product that came with ICS (4.0.4). That said many older devices (from the same manufacturer) are stuck with GB.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Typically, carriers have O/S updates available via OTA.
If you choose not to use them, the onus in on the user or am I missing something.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

What you're missing is that manufacturers/carriers don't release Android updates for all their products (old/new) forever.

Some devices will never progress beyond Android Gingerbread because the time/effort to do it isn't worth it to the manufacturer. For example why would they update a 2yr old phone?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

What you're missing is that manufacturers/carriers don't release Android updates for all their products (old/new) forever.

Agree, partially but if it's on OTA and your phone qualifies the onus is on the phone user to grab it.

For example why would they update a 2yr old phone?

See my first reply.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

And how do you know if your assumptions apply to Fickey See Profile? Perhaps his/her device has never been offered anything beyond Gingerbread. Your comment implied that he should just update. My point is that perhaps that isn't possible.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

quote:
Your comment implied that he should just update.
I didn't imply anything, I said that if the Android O/S was still available OTA. why not go fetch it ?
There are a lot of liberable use of assumptions being hurled in my direction from your corner, I was trying to make some observations based on my experiences with delayed OTA Android O/S releases.
I do have some familiarity with the subject and am not wasting board thread-space (•)

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt to Fickey

Premium Member

to Fickey
said by Fickey:

If you scroll down on this page, the latest apks for android are there (ICS & pre-ICS), you just have to sideload it.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ons.html

Thanks, Fickey! I'm running the latest Android release on a pretty new Top-line (Asus Infinity) tab, and I had to force-install Flash initially and knew I might not be able to update from Google Play. I will try that first (it hasn't been offered) and then try your link.

StuartMW, if I have to install the APK manually, how do I enable that (where do I go?).

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
Allow APK installs
said by altermatt:

StuartMW, if I have to install the APK manually, how do I enable that (where do I go?).

I put APK's on an SD card and put that in my tablet. I then use the Android My Files app to browse the card and click on the APK I wish to install. On my device I get a popup telling me that installation is a security risk and is disabled. I says where to go in Settings (under Security somewhere from memory) to change that. I enable APK execution (not called that), install what I want, and then disable it again.

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

1 edit

altermatt

Premium Member

Thanks, StuartMW; I'm going to try browsing to the link you gave me with my tablet and downloading it right to the tablet, and if that doesn't work, I'll do the SD thing. There was no place to update the thing automatically---when I click Flash Player in Apps, it just brings up the Settings Manager.

LATE EDIT: Just browsed to the link StuartMW provided, downloaded the APK, clicked to install, got the warning and enabled the installation, and all went like a charm. Working perfectly, and went back and disabled the installation of unknown apps again.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

1 recommendation

Fickey to siljaline

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

I'm not sure your at any advantage running an outdated Android version

Interesting Android banter. But StuartMW's guess is correct, GB is the last OTA available for my current device. I'm actually running an excellent CM7 kang, there's a few unofficial ICS kangs available but they have bugs & limitations due to my device's locked GB bootloader.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Good to know Being a first time Galaxy Nexus user, I thought OTA applied to all that wanted the Android version upgrades, regardless of age.
There is an »Google specific board.