Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

Re: Security updates available for Adobe Flash Player

And how do you know if your assumptions apply to Fickey See Profile? Perhaps his/her device has never been offered anything beyond Gingerbread. Your comment implied that he should just update. My point is that perhaps that isn't possible.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

quote:
Your comment implied that he should just update.
I didn't imply anything, I said that if the Android O/S was still available OTA. why not go fetch it ?
There are a lot of liberable use of assumptions being hurled in my direction from your corner, I was trying to make some observations based on my experiences with delayed OTA Android O/S releases.
I do have some familiarity with the subject and am not wasting board thread-space (•)

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Fickey

said by Fickey:

If you scroll down on this page, the latest apks for android are there (ICS & pre-ICS), you just have to sideload it.
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/···ons.html

Thanks, Fickey! I'm running the latest Android release on a pretty new Top-line (Asus Infinity) tab, and I had to force-install Flash initially and knew I might not be able to update from Google Play. I will try that first (it hasn't been offered) and then try your link.

StuartMW, if I have to install the APK manually, how do I enable that (where do I go?).
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit

Click for full size
Allow APK installs
said by altermatt:

StuartMW, if I have to install the APK manually, how do I enable that (where do I go?).

I put APK's on an SD card and put that in my tablet. I then use the Android My Files app to browse the card and click on the APK I wish to install. On my device I get a popup telling me that installation is a security risk and is disabled. I says where to go in Settings (under Security somewhere from memory) to change that. I enable APK execution (not called that), install what I want, and then disable it again.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Thanks, StuartMW; I'm going to try browsing to the link you gave me with my tablet and downloading it right to the tablet, and if that doesn't work, I'll do the SD thing. There was no place to update the thing automatically---when I click Flash Player in Apps, it just brings up the Settings Manager.

LATE EDIT: Just browsed to the link StuartMW provided, downloaded the APK, clicked to install, got the warning and enabled the installation, and all went like a charm. Working perfectly, and went back and disabled the installation of unknown apps again.

--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone

join:2004-05-31

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

I'm not sure your at any advantage running an outdated Android version

Interesting Android banter. But StuartMW's guess is correct, GB is the last OTA available for my current device. I'm actually running an excellent CM7 kang, there's a few unofficial ICS kangs available but they have bugs & limitations due to my device's locked GB bootloader.
--
Government controlled healthcare? Name one thing government does efficiently and effectively!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Good to know Being a first time Galaxy Nexus user, I thought OTA applied to all that wanted the Android version upgrades, regardless of age.
There is an »Android specific board.